Regular Contributor

Re: Need help identifying Type of Collie or Collie Mix

Hi CrazyDaisy! (I had a cat named Daisy once! She was a beautiful dilute calico and I loved her SOOO much. What am I saying? What animal didn't I love SOOO much?)

Even though I can't imagine a poor ND Dairy farmer with a Red Australian Shepherd to work on their farm vs what was known as an old fashioned farm Collie, I will definitely check it out! Thanks!!

Esteemed Contributor

@NorskyGal wrote:

Hi CrazyDaisy! (I had a cat named Daisy once! She was a beautiful dilute calico and I loved her SOOO much. What am I saying? What animal didn't I love SOOO much?)

Even though I can't imagine a poor ND Dairy farmer with a Red Australian Shepherd to work on their farm vs what was known as an old fashioned farm Collie, I will definitely check it out! Thanks!!

Despite the name, they have little to no connection to Austrailia.  The breed was developed in the Western US to work on ranches. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NorskyGal wrote:

Despite the name, they have little to no connection to Austrailia.  The breed was developed in the Western US to work on ranches. 

Ahhh! Gotcha. Yes, that IS deceiving!!

Valued Contributor

I'm going with Australian Shepard also, as I have one (1/2 Australian Shepard/1/2 Siberian Husky)
My dog has a tail, as she is a mix, but I see people with pure Australian Shepards walking in my village. One is red, like Duke, and the other looks like my girl (Blue Merle). Great dogs!147.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

The rough and smooth collies have very small heads and beady eyes.  As someone said, their muzzle is long and pointy.  

I think Duke looks like there is old scotch collie in him.  Collies are very smart dogs.  They love to chase moving objects.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Definitely an Aussie, my favorite breed of dog.  I've had several plus many collies.  The Aussie was developed by stockmen in the Western US, and probably has some collie in its heritage.  They are super smart and very active, needing lots of exercise.  They will herd children and cats. Here are two of my dogs, both now deceased.  Joy is the blue Merle and Jennie was a red tri colored.  Both were great dogs and they were both rescues.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

He was a mix,i can see aussie in him,but there was something else.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Might want to google red australian shepherds Smiley Happy

I agree!  If he had a tail, he could have been a Border Collie.

Trusted Contributor

@NorskyGal  Thats a very nice picture.  Duke is just beautiful.  I also love the gray and white cat in the picture too.  I have had a few gray and white cats also.  My current one is named Lily.  

Trusted Contributor

@Quse   Blue Merle is adorable!  Very cute dog!