Regular Contributor

Need help identifying Type of Collie or Collie Mix

Hi All, 
I posted a message about this back in january of 2016 but I didn't have any pictures to post. But I have a one now!

As a I'm trying to get some help to hopefully identify my Grandma & Grandpa's dog they had in the 1960s & 1970s on their North Dakota Dairy Farm.

This dog (Grandpa named him Duke) was the BEST dog ever.

First let me describe what he looked like: As you can see from the pics, he had regular Collie markings and he was tri-color. His coat was shorter than a Collie and was wavy. His tail was bobbed by the breeder (best for farm dogs, I suppose.) I would say his nose was shorter and more square. I don't know what else to say unless you have specific questions.

Now for his personality. Duke was SWEET and loved to work! He herded the cattle to the barn from the pasture every evening for Grandpa. he loved herding. He followed Grandpa everywhere. (Grandpa loved Duke. They loved each other. Grandpa loved their cat, Sparkle, too. How sweet was he?) BTW, Duke & Sparkle got along great, as well.

Duke was gentle & tolerant with the grandkids. No nipping if a little kid pulled on his fur. I used to hug his neck & give him kisses constantly. (I was older--about 9 to 14 years old.) He was tolerant of me wanting to love on him all the time. ha ha

They only time Duke barked was when a car came driving into the farmyard. He'd bark and chase the car, running right by the wheels. But when the people got out of the car, he was fine..no barking, growling or anything. I'm not sure if it's because he recognized the people. OR if people he didn't recognize were getting out of the car, maybe Grandpa was already outside with Duke at that time...or maybe he just stopped on his own. I'm not sure.

I've attached a photograph so you can see what he looked like. (Sorry it's blurry) I KNOW he's not a Rough Collie, but maybe someone can identify what kind of Collie he was, IF he was? Or maybe he was a mix? I know someone one time said that a certain type of Collie dog was bred for farmers in the 1920s up through the 1960s. I don't know if that's true and if he would be that type of dog....?

But I'd love to know what type Duke was. I loved him so much!!! Everyone loved Duke.

Duke.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need help identifying Type of Collie or Collie Mix

[ Edited ]

I am going to go with Australian Shepherd.  Wonderful farm dogs, bred for hearding.  Also their tails are naturally bobbed, no need for breeder to cut.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Duke.jpg

@NorskyGal

This is definately a mix. I have had many pure bred collies . They have long thin snouts (noses) and their ears always stand up.

But I cannot tell you what he is mixed with or if her is a totaly another breed,sorry.

i tend to agree with , @CrazyDaisy

I agree that he is a mix.  You can Google rough coated collie, smooth coated collie and old time scotch collie.  He looks closer to the scotch collie... but likely a mix.  They are all wonderful breeds.

Regular Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I belong to a Rough Collies FB group and I posted this there, as well. Some ladies there agreed that Duke was an old fashioned farm Collie, which would be like a Scotch Collie. And after looking at some websites, I definitely agree!  Here is one Scotch Collie that really reminds me of Duke..both looks wise (in the face) and personality wise.

http://www.scotchcollie.org/registry/details.php?id=63750

Esteemed Contributor

Might want to google red australian shepherds Smiley Happy

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

@NorskyGal   Duke was beautiful.   I love all animals, however, collies are my favorite type of dog.  I had a collie when I was a kid, his name was Laddie.  I loved him and miss him.  I am not sure what type of collie your Duke was.  Sorry I don't have an answer for that.   

Respected Contributor

Aww, wat a good dog Duke was.  I don't know what mix he was, wish I did.  How big was he?  If you cover his little head in the picture it almost looks like a St.Bernard type body. The thick wavey coat and the markings too.  Doesn't matter though, you can't recreate that good of a dog even if you clone him.  Duke was Duke, the One and Only.  Cherish the memories.

Regular Contributor

Sophiesofers...Collies (and shelties, too..because my sister had one of those, too) are my favorite types of dogs, too. They're personalities are so sweet...and I LOVE the Collie smile. (The Shelties have the "Smile", too.) I loved making a big fuss over my sister's Collie and Sheltie to get them to smile. To anyone else, it would look scary when they wrinkle up their nose and bare their teeth, but I knew they were smiling! So darned sweet!!  My folks loved her dogs, too.  Just lovely, lovely dogs.

Regular Contributor

Hi Candys mine,

The pic I originally posted was a cropped picture. Here is the originally picture. Duke wasn't that big.  Yes...Duke was a GEM of a dog!  A true one & only. You are So right! I will definitely cherish the memories. Thank you for that!Duke 1973