Honored Contributor

Re: Need dog behavioral help/ suggestions

Nine days?  Heck, you guys aren't even acquainted yet!  I didn't realize you'd only had him for such a short time.

Does he like to play ball?  I would suggest throwing a ball for him to fetch (if you haven't tried that already).  I've found that wears my dog out faster than just letting her amuse herself in the yard.  It also promotes the human-dog bond, as well as teaching listening and discipline.

If he has been moved around from home to home, it's just going to take him a while to associate fun and food with his new people.  And much like children that are bounced from place to place, he's going to have to realize that yours is his final stop.  Good for you taking on this poor guy and giving him a loving home!

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@SeaMaiden , @Julie928

I've been going through the same thing for the past year with our new dog. Total frustration. I think it's more difficult for those of us who have/had dogs that were easy to train. I know what I need to do, I just can't seem to do it!

First thing, you need to stay calm. Which I find probably the hardest thing to do. An excitable dog will not calm down if you are frustrated with her. You need to be assertive, neither harsh nor wish-washy. And at this stage, sometimes you have to pick your battles. Figure out which things are most important for your dog to learn now, and concentrate on those. Other things can come later. If you're constantly saying "no!" to everything, your dog will soon tune you out.

Secondly, if your dog is energetic and/or excitable, exercise is a necessity. My dog is the best behaved dog on the planet when she's exhausted. And your idea of enough exercise might not be the same as the dog's. I thought a daily three mile walk would be enough for our pup, but that doesn't even come close for her needs.

Third: patience, patience and even more patience. For the past thirty years, we've had dogs that fit into our life perfectly within six months. With this one, over a year later I'm still having to train and reward. Oh, she knows exactly what to do, but I constantly have to remind her to do it.

Also important is finding out the magic bullet with that particular dog that can be used as a reward. Something that she can't resist. With mine it's food. And outside a squeaky toy will also get her attention immediately. (Be careful with squeaky things though, because the sound will usually just get a dog even more excited.) I have little bags of treats all over the house and in all my coat pockets to be available to divert her attention under any circumstance. She has to sit (or lay down) and be quiet for a bit until she gets the treat. That stops the unwanted behavior and gets her calm, at least for a minute. Use small pieces, though, because you will using a lot of them!

Pook gave you great advice about the sit/stay behavior. For your particular example, once my dog learned she would be rewarded for sitting, we did that going out and coming in the door every time. It takes time (this is where the patience part comes in), but it won't take long before your dog associates "door" with "reward". Then she will learn, "door", "sit", "stay/calm", "reward"--in that order.

As for the "Dog Whisperer" methods, I generally tend to agree with the others, but he does have some valuable basic ideas.  Such as remaining calm and lots of exercise.  You have to take a lot of that show with a grain of salt, it's a show.  You don't see the amount of work or methods that he (and his multitude of trainers) use regularly that actually produce the desired results.

Most of all, accept the dog for itself. I learned in the first few months that this dog was not at all like the last few I'd had. It didn't mean she was a bad dog or that I loved her any less, it just meant that I had to learn how to deal with her. She has her own quirks and she also has things I've learned to overlook. Best of luck to you both!

@geezerette  Excellent post.  It is a good reminder to those of us with a puppy....especially a puppy that is like none other that came before them Smiley Happy.  Patient, calm, reward.......we're living it!  (or least trying our best LOL)

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Nine days?  Heck, you guys aren't even acquainted yet!  I didn't realize you'd only had him for such a short time.

Does he like to play ball?  I would suggest throwing a ball for him to fetch (if you haven't tried that already).  I've found that wears my dog out faster than just letting her amuse herself in the yard.  It also promotes the human-dog bond, as well as teaching listening and discipline.

If he has been moved around from home to home, it's just going to take him a while to associate fun and food with his new people.  And much like children that are bounced from place to place, he's going to have to realize that yours is his final stop.  Good for you taking on this poor guy and giving him a loving home!

@  Yes, thank God for balls and a long hallways.  We could never walk Willie enough to wear him out.  20161128_190543.jpeg

20161128_190743.jpeg

He was on a dead run to me.........that's why it is blurry.  We highly recommend playing ball!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

@tends2dogs

I love your Willie. Pics of him make my day. Give him a hug around the neck for me, please.

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Esteemed Contributor

I would wait a while before worrying about training a new dog, other than using a firm "no".  It takes a while to see the true personality of the dog until they relax in their new home.

One of our rescues, on her first day with us, cleared off the kitchen counter in the evening and brought each piece of fruit or food the kids left, to us in our laps.  It was so funny and endearing but we knew we didn't want that going on all the time. After she felt at home, all I had to say was "NO jumping on the counter" and she listened.

Now my dogs know my "NO" facial expression, I don't even have to say anything many times.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette  Great advice!  He LOVES balls....will chase the ball but not bring it back to me. How do I get him to know that if he brings it back...I will throw it again?

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 Thanks, I'll check it out again.  I try to check them out and then go back and check again later, but in all that time I've only messed up a few times.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 I just clicked on it!  Oh! My Goodness!  You know what that was?  It was where I looked up Michael Parks for someone else on the forum and it didn't clear the posts and that's how it ended up there.  Thanks for the information, I'll change it but it's probably too late.  It's terrible for me to do that mainly because there are people here who are scared to death to click on something and me posting something wrong doesn't help their fears.  As for me, I am careful but most computers warn you if a website is not good.

Mine does anyway.  If you have good security on your computer...thanks again...I owe you a lolly-POP!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden I owe you an apology.  Someone notified me I'd posted the wrong website to go to.  I'd been looking up something about the actor Michael Parks and when I clicked on the dog whisperer it had not cleared Parks!

Honored Contributor

There are so many people on youtube who offer suggestions how to train these over-excited dogs.  Here's one!  It is the right website,,,,Sorry about the other.  It's just that I've sat and watched the dog whisperer (this video isn't him) and he comes across this very often.  All is did was google exactly what you said and many videos came up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG1g9Te89Xg