Honored Contributor

Need dog behavioral help/ suggestions

My new dog has bad manners....I am working on it. Any advice for when a dog barges in a door?  I want him to sit and stay until I decide he can enter. He seems to have a short attention span. I push is butt down to sit, and say sit! And then put my hand out and say stay.... but all he wants to do is  barge in.  My other dog sit and stays wonderfully....she was easy to train.  This new guy seems like he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer..... it is going to take patience, a lot of patience!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need dog behavioral help/ suggestions

@SeaMaiden Go here for tips from The Dog Whisperer on how to teach dogs....he's amazing!  I don't even have a dog and every single Saturday I watch his shows for 2 hours.

It's free:  Click right here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LDk6PdT-nk

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It does take patience.

What we did was have someone who is in the house tell them to stay and sit and then give them a treat. It took many times til they got the idea that what we wanted was for them to stay and sit instead of barging in.We would stand a few feet away from them. First going up to them and telling them to sit and stay, then backing up repeating stay, then giving them the treat.(if they stayed, if not, repeat...and repeat lol!)

Most dogs understand after awhile and do want to please you and a treat always does wonders.

Another thing we did (and I've read that it is recommended as well) is (sorry and this involves another person inside or outside and the dogs inside, where they bark and barge at you coming in) You turn your back on them and they stop barking because they are not getting the result they want. I had my doubts about this one but it actually worked on our enthusiastic, ranbunctious sweet girl! Once they stop barking, then you let them in and greet them.

I'm sure there are others but these are the ones we tried and I was surprised they actually did work, but they do take consistency.

Sometimes, just like with kids we give up and just let it all happen, but it is definitely worth it to keep at it. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

SeaMaiden -- I can't quite remember the how-to on this behavior, but it involved shutting the door in the dog's face.  Mine learned this quickly and waits for an okay sign before going out the front and garage doors.  He's a total sweetie but not particularly bright.

i bet you can find a video on YouTube.

Honored Contributor

Keep him leashed during the training. When we were training our GSD she wore the collar and leash pretty often in the house. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Your method is making you the submissive one.

You stand in his face & don't let him pass. Make eye contact.

You have to distract the dog from everything but you.

He has to see you as the dominant pack leader.

It's the same method I used to get my dogs to ignore the vacuum cleaner.

I turned on the vacuum & stood between it & the dogs.

Making them concentrate on me, their alpha.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

My new dog has bad manners....I am working on it. Any advice for when a dog barges in a door?  I want him to sit and stay until I decide he can enter. He seems to have a short attention span. I push is butt down to sit, and say sit! And then put my hand out and say stay.... but all he wants to do is  barge in.  My other dog sit and stays wonderfully....she was easy to train.  This new guy seems like he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer..... it is going to take patience, a lot of patience!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@SeaMaiden Go here for tips from The Dog Whisperer on how to teach dogs....he's amazing!  I don't even have a dog and every single Saturday I watch his shows for 2 hours.

It's free:  Click right here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LDk6PdT-nk

@Annabellethecat66  I've been very actively involved in dogdom for about 14 years.   I know obedience trainers,  herding trainers and breeders to name a few.   I've got one friend who published a book on obedience training.   The Dog Whisperer makes for good entertainment but I don't know a single person who is a fan of Caesar Milan's methods.   He doesn't train; he intimidates.   You can't make funny zzzzzzz noises and viola,  your dog is trained.   He temporarily,  and it is temporary,  frightens them into being cowed by his presence.   Please don't fall for his hype and think this is a kind,  gentle way to train a dog.   It borders on abuse. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Barges in a door??  I can understand the danger if they run out of a door, but in?  Good grief, my entire family, four legged and two legged, barges into the house all the time!!!  Not a problem in my world!!!

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden ~ As I'm sure you know from reading my thread regarding my rescue dog I have no advice to help you.  I am grateful you posted this question because I'm ready to pull every single hair out of my head, lol!  Today was an especially trying day in our household.  I will keep an eye on this thread because I NEED HELP too, lol!!!!!!  :-O

Esteemed Contributor

Those that continue to promote alpha and pack leader methods should look at positive reinforcement methods.  A true leader is respected not feared.  There are many positive reinforcement trainers on the Internet, it is a method that builds on good behavior.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.