Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need dog behavioral help/ suggestions

Getting the dog to release the ball can be tricky.  Willie will "drop it" most times when I tell him.  He knows I won't play the tug of war game with it.  I don't tug of war with a ball because my fingers usually end up getting bit during the play and that isn't fun.  My DH, on the other hand, started off playing tug of war with the ball until he ended up getting nipped and bit during the play.  BUT Willie won't drop it for him because he learned how fun it was to do the tug of war thing.  We have ropes and socks for that.

What I did was just stand until he dropped it.  He got the message that I wouldn't try to dig it out of his mouth. 

The multi ball play is something we have tried.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.    As long as the dog is running to get the ball, or just interacting in play, it is all good. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Its nothing more than training your basic "sit stay" and then you release your dog when he can move. 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Getting the dog to release the ball can be tricky.  Willie will "drop it" most times when I tell him.  He knows I won't play the tug of war game with it.  I don't tug of war with a ball because my fingers usually end up getting bit during the play and that isn't fun.  My DH, on the other hand, started off playing tug of war with the ball until he ended up getting nipped and bit during the play.  BUT Willie won't drop it for him because he learned how fun it was to do the tug of war thing.  We have ropes and socks for that.

What I did was just stand until he dropped it.  He got the message that I wouldn't try to dig it out of his mouth. 

The multi ball play is something we have tried.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.    As long as the dog is running to get the ball, or just interacting in play, it is all good. 

Same thing at our house.  I finally learned with our pup when she was younger to ignore her with the ball or I'd end up in a game of tug, and lose!  So she knows that when she brings me the ball, I won't throw it unless she gives it up.  She doesn't always give it because sometimes she doesn't really want to chase the ball, she just wants to keep it in her mouth.  Which is fine with me.

My husband is just like yours.  He started trying to take the ball from her and now the only time she'll give it up for him is when he ignores her too!