Valued Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

My sweet cat Arrow had to be put down today. He was 17 and had been a shelter rescue that I had adopted with his brother Cupid when they were about a year old. Cupid was a delightful huge cat when  he passed away a few years ago, but Arrow stayed on as a wonderful cuddly sweet little guy. I live alone , no kids, no SO, and he was so important to me. 

Over the years he aged and lost his hearing, developed cataracts, and in the last few months lost weight and became kind of feeble. I was guided by my vet’s suggestions and treated Arrow as best as I could afford; he did not improve. He got terribly thin and finally refused to eat this week, though he took a little water. He made mistakes out of the litter box. He slept continuously under the covers on my bed and almost winced if I touched him. He stopped all vocalizing, though he had been a very meow-y cat.  But he spooned with me when I slept. He tried hard to be a pal even as he was failing. 

I knew I had to give him up before he suffered organ failure from no nutrition and dehydration. The vet recognized the duty of mercy, too, and I let Arrow go over the Rainbow Bridge. I stayed with him until he was gone, gave his soft fur one last ruffle and fled to my car. I cleaned up the supplies and paraphernalia when I got home so as not to provoke fresh tears. There are many tears. 

I know I’ll get to feel better soon, and that it was my duty as his mom to help Arrow have peace, but I am terribly sad. Sorry for myself, feeling like maybe I should have left him until he got even worse so I’d have been surer. 

I’m sorry I had to write so much and made this so maudlin. I needed to get it out.  I have no doubt every person who let go of a sick old pal knows how I feel. The courage it takes and the doubt it provokes because of the responsibility. Starting today, I’m not a mommy. Very tough day. Thanks for your thoughts.

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Arrow. Please take comort in knowing you gave him a good life and lots of love. I’ve lost pets and know how hard it is. They are family and I hope your will someday find another rescue to fill your heart.

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal  What a good Mom you were and are.   Sending BIG HUGS your way.  When people tell me that they will never get another pet again because of the pain you go through in the end,  I always remind them that you go through that feeling because of the amazing and loving bond that you established during their lifetime.  Would you ever not want to feel that love and attachment? You are a very kind, loving and caring mama.

Trusted Contributor

So sorry!  Bless you for being a great mommy to Arrow.  He’s “talking” about it now at the Rainbow bridge. Many hugs to you. 

Honored Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Good ideas to make me a cat mom again!

I’ll be ready to adopt after the summer. I’m down, but not out. When it gets cool in the fall and I’m indoors a lot more, I’ll bring one or two cats home from the shelter and fill my heart by giving forever love and good care. Bonding is better when I’m home to build the relationship.  I still have courage to take it on for mutual good. Love conquers pain of loss. 

For now I’ll enjoy more outdoor time, not worry about pet care if I take a few days away, and recover from the jolt. I’m keeping the bowls, the running water fountain he loved, and cleaned up litter boxes. New cats to rescue, new fun, new memories to build. Soonish.

Here’s Arrow as I’ll keep him cherished. You’ve been wonderful help, everyone. 

6296DF12-3BCC-411B-99CB-24C15434E4D0.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss and have been through this several times myself.  It is always the hardest part of being a pet mom.  Please find comfort knowing what a wonderful, loving home you gave him.  I hope in time you will find yourself ready to give another shelter pet a home.  Sending hugs to you.   Heart

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal  I responded to this earlier but just wanted to say that Arrow was a beautiful cat.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

So very sorry for your loss.  I believe Cupid and Arrow will be waiting for you. 

I hope one day you will be able to spoon with another kitty that needs you.

Trusted Contributor

@gizmogal so sorry for the loss of Arrow. You gave him everything, a home, friendship, love, and at the end, you have him rest. As your heart grieves, know that Arrow's love is still in your heart. Take care. You are in my thoughts and prayers. ❤🐈

Valued Contributor

So sorry for your loss. There is never the perfect time to let a pet go....we just do the best we can.  What a wonderful home you gave to Cupid and Arrow..