Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal Oh I am so sorry to read of your fury baby Arrow, I am sending you hugs and prayers, us pet lovers know just how you are hurting, you made the right decision to end his suffering, even though you question your decision now.  Take comfort in knowing that you gave him a wonderful home for the years you had him, he knew nothing but love, if only all of us could feel that way!  He is with his brother now, enjoying their reunion!With Deepest Sympathy for Pet Loss.jpg reunion,and one day you will all be reunited to spend time with each other!

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal, I am so sorry for your loss of Arrow.  While your heart will hurt for a while, you always will know what a good and loving home Arrow had and that he knew that he was loved.  Unfortunately, that is the best that we can do.  RIP Arrow.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

So very sorry for your loss.  As many times as we go through this, it doesn't get any easier.  My prayers are with you and Arrow had a wonderful life with you. May you find confort in the wonderful memories you have of him.

Respected Contributor

Sorry I didn't see this post until today - I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's heartbroken with and for you.  I hope you'll soon have happy memories after your grief eases.

So happy you gave such an outstanding life to your two kitties.  I think you did this at a good time.  One of our last cats was failing and found to have kidney issues.  My husband brought her home, and she immediately climbed into an empty box on the floor, iignoring food, water, and her dozens of favorite sleeping spots... as diificult as it was, my husband had her euthanized the next day.

So be comforted that Arrow is not only with Cupid again, but with ALL of our pets waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

When you feel up to it, please share some of the funny and or touching memories of Arrow and Cupid

Denise
Super Contributor

@mwmc

I have a 21 yr old cat too. funny cuz her name is Nougat and the name they gave me when I signed up for this forum just month or so ago was Nougat!  what a coincedence. they picked the name Nougat for me! 

21 is old! its probably a small club. she keeps on going and going!

Super Contributor

@gizmogal

You absolutely did the right thing for Arrow! dont doubt it for a second!

if not you both could be suffering tons more right now and just prolonging the process you are going through right now in grieving.

i believe he probably did visit you! please read the thread "pets in heaven" if you havent!

you will feel better from all the stories of beloved pet visits from above!

then watch and believe and you will see Arrow playfully come to say "hello" again from his now pain free existence above in the arms of angels.  Bless You!  Heart

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal

I'm so sorry that I just saw your thread today. My heart aches for you.Heart

I've posted this poem before when someone lost a furry family member, so I apologize if you're already seen it, but I found it so comforting during my losses, maybe you will too.

Last Night

I stood by your bed last night; I came to have a peek.
I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.

I purred to you softly as you wiped away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour your coffee.
You were thinking of the many times your hand reached down to me.

I was with you at the shop today; your arms were getting sore,
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today; you tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you toward the house, you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you; I smiled and said, "It's me."

You looked so very, very tired and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everyday,
to tell you with such certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew....
in the stillness of the evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over, I smile and watch you yawning
and say, "Goodnight, God Bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to meet you and we'll stand side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there's so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out....then come home to be with me.

Anonymous
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@gizmogal  I am so sorry and send you prayers and best wishes.  It i so hard to know that you did absolutely the best thing you could do for him.

I hope you will feel better soon, and you will carry these loving memories with you always!  My heart goes out to you

Super Contributor

@gizmogal

the pic of Arrow is so nice. such a beautiful cat and looks well taken care of.

the day I read your posting i didnt sleep well that night. you were on my mind every time I woke up. feeling your pain.

go for a walk, smell some flowers, feel the sun on your face and realize that Arrow is in heaven totally healed of pain and happy as can be!  Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal

@gizmogal wrote:

My sweet cat Arrow had to be put down today. He was 17 and had been a shelter rescue that I had adopted with his brother Cupid when they were about a year old. Cupid was a delightful huge cat when  he passed away a few years ago, but Arrow stayed on as a wonderful cuddly sweet little guy. I live alone , no kids, no SO, and he was so important to me. 

Over the years he aged and lost his hearing, developed cataracts, and in the last few months lost weight and became kind of feeble. I was guided by my vet’s suggestions and treated Arrow as best as I could afford; he did not improve. He got terribly thin and finally refused to eat this week, though he took a little water. He made mistakes out of the litter box. He slept continuously under the covers on my bed and almost winced if I touched him. He stopped all vocalizing, though he had been a very meow-y cat.  But he spooned with me when I slept. He tried hard to be a pal even as he was failing. 

I knew I had to give him up before he suffered organ failure from no nutrition and dehydration. The vet recognized the duty of mercy, too, and I let Arrow go over the Rainbow Bridge. I stayed with him until he was gone, gave his soft fur one last ruffle and fled to my car. I cleaned up the supplies and paraphernalia when I got home so as not to provoke fresh tears. There are many tears. 

I know I’ll get to feel better soon, and that it was my duty as his mom to help Arrow have peace, but I am terribly sad. Sorry for myself, feeling like maybe I should have left him until he got even worse so I’d have been surer. 

I’m sorry I had to write so much and made this so maudlin. I needed to get it out.  I have no doubt every person who let go of a sick old pal knows how I feel. The courage it takes and the doubt it provokes because of the responsibility. Starting today, I’m not a mommy. Very tough day. Thanks for your thoughts.

I know just how you feel.  I was in your status in 2016 and have an older dog now, my true friend and family.  I live alone also, e cost for my dog.  My heart will a really break.  I wish I lived near you and would keep you company in your sorrow.   Cry, cry, cry, get it out.  You will aalso eventually find great memories.  You mentioned some in your post.  OMG, I,m crying right now.  I buried my cat  Shadow in the yard with the familiarries in their garden.  I found a statue that looked like him.   I also wrote a poem to him on here back in 2016/ July.  It helped.  I made it up, but you can use it or if you are able, write one.  Here is a big hug and tears.  Take care, and post to let me kn ow how you are doing