Valued Contributor

Need baby bird help!!!!!!

[ Edited ]

This is the fourth baby bird I've found by the front door to my apt building! This little guy was barely breathing...I moved him to a safe place, out of the rain. The others have vanished..but I'm sure they didn't make it. She has the nest very high...under the gutter..she has been nesting there for years...but I haven't seen anything like this. I'm just venting...I feel so sad...Woman Sad 

Respected Contributor

Re: Need baby bird help!!!!!!

Look for a wildlife rescue group. Maybe someone would come and help move the nest or do something to block the birds from nesting there. Also hopefully take care of the baby bird. My husband and I have taken birds to wildlife rescues before. 

Honored Contributor

@emmygrace wrote:

This is the fourth baby bird I've found by the front door to my apt building! This little guy was barely breathing...I moved him to a safe place, out of the rain. The others have vanished..but I'm sure they didn't make it. She has the nest very high...under the gutter..she has been nesting there for years...but I haven't seen anything like this. I'm just venting...I feel so sad...Woman Sad 

@emmygrace 

Unfortunately if the baby is out of the nest and barely breathing, there's probably not much that can be done to save him.....except to pray that he doesn't suffer.

So sad.....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Contributor

My dad took care of a baby bird when I was a kid. Hardly out of the egg long.  Brought it into the house and it was kept in a shoebox and fed it worms and very wet with water pieces of bread.  Amazingly it thrived and got his wings and when he was ready he was in the back yard and flew. This was a robin by the way. He would fly back to my dad too and sit on his head.  I have pictures.  A lot of work but very rewarding.  It can be done. Of course my dad was raised on a dairy farm in Iowa so used to taking care of animals.  
good luck with whatever you decide to do to help.

Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@emmygrace wrote:

@emmygrace 

Unfortunately if the baby is out of the nest and barely breathing, there's probably not much that can be done to save him.....except to pray that he doesn't suffer.

So sad.....

I know...my dog's very sad too..(because he knows I'm sad!) I'll pray he doesn't suffer... At least he knows someone cared...hopefully he'll join his little bird siblings in heaven..Heart

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lali1 wrote:

Look for a wildlife rescue group. Maybe someone would come and help move the nest or do something to block the birds from nesting there. Also hopefully take care of the baby bird. My husband and I have taken birds to wildlife rescues before. 

Yes..the nest is in a bad place...there's another nest on the other side! You and your hubby are wonderful! Woman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

@grandme wrote:

My dad took care of a baby bird when I was a kid. Hardly out of the egg long.  Brought it into the house and it was kept in a shoebox and fed it worms and very wet with water pieces of bread.  Amazingly it thrived and got his wings and when he was ready he was in the back yard and flew. This was a robin by the way. He would fly back to my dad too and sit on his head.  I have pictures.  A lot of work but very rewarding.  It can be done. Of course my dad was raised on a dairy farm in Iowa so used to taking care of animals.  
good luck with whatever you decide to do to help.

I LOVE this story!!!!! (My dad loved animals too)..Your dad sounds amazing!! The robin thought he was his daddy!  Woman HappyHeart

Honored Contributor

Calling @Bird mama ! 

Hopefully she will see your thread before it's too late for this little one.  If not, she can give you some tips if it happens again. 🤞

Honored Contributor

It's hard to say because I don't know what kind of bird it is.  I've hand raised sparrows straight out of the egg and it's hard work.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise