Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice re: senior dog

@scoop ,So glad  for you ,and him our older dogs are just so precious.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Frequent Contributor

Thank you goldensrbest.  He's a good boy!

Trusted Contributor

@scoop If you have it available in your area I know a few people that take their dogs to acupuncture and laser treatments. I think a lot of vets have the laser treatment these days but acupuncture might be more out there.

Occasional Visitor

We had a senior dog (16) that stumbled around for a while but he always would rest when he needed to. However, when he started using the bathroom on himself we took it as a sign that it was time to let him go. Of coarse take him to the vet and make sure nothing medically is wrong but this may be something you need to prepare your heart for. I am sorry you are going through this. Sending goods thoughts your way. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@scoop wrote:

Our dog Jake is about 12 years old (we think).  We adopted him in 2012 and he came from a good home but we don't know much about his health history.  He goes for his 6 month senior wellness check ups at the vet and we were told he does have some back issues which impact his hind legs.  His hind legs seem to be collapsing more and more when he walks and he's constantly stumbling.  He also seems to have some sort of dementia because he stares into space.  Three times already at night, he has pooped on his bed.  This morning after I took him out, he came in, laid on his bed, and his tail went up in the air, which was odd, and he got up and there was poop. He seems to be losing control of his bodily functions.  We're taking him to the vet tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their senior pets.  I don't have a good gut feeling about this. 

@scoop     just like people and wearing depends diapers...... old dogs lose function too.  I had a 14 year old irish setter who had bad hips and lost control of his bowels.... So I bought adult diapers and cut a hole in them for his tail... then at night he did not mess the bed. I also used a towel to help him outside to lift his back legs some so he could walk around the yard.  You do what you can just like you would for your Mother or Father or loved one.

THEY will let you know when it is time to take OTHER MEASURES..  they will stop eating... etc. You will just know...

. but just because they are older and having older issues is not reason to put them down to CONVIENCE YOU. 

@SeaMaiden  I so agree. We’re making many adjustments for 14 1/2 yr. old Sadie. Her back legs are weak and she has arthritis, as well as the beginnings of dementia. She has a new stroller for family walks. She’s still eating and going potty outside w/ very few accidents inside...those very near her doggie door. We put down puppy pads in that area to make clean up easier...she’s obviously still making the effort the go out. We built a ramp over the stairs from that doggie door to help her. Our vet’s assessment at her senior visits? Her quality of life is still good and she has pain meds to manage the arthritis. He feels when a pet loses control of bladder and bowel, seems to be in pain, does not eat...that’s the time to take action. Until then, she’s gaven me unconditional love since she was a puppy and I’ll do the same for her.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SeaMaiden  I so agree. We’re making many adjustments for 14 1/2 yr. old Sadie. Her back legs are weak and she has arthritis, as well as the beginnings of dementia. She has a new stroller for family walks. She’s still eating and going potty outside w/ very few accidents inside...those very near her doggie door. We put down puppy pads in that area to make clean up easier...she’s obviously still making the effort the go out. We built a ramp over the stairs from that doggie door to help her. Our vet’s assessment at her senior visits? Her quality of life is still good and she has pain meds to manage the arthritis. He feels when a pet loses control of bladder and bowel, seems to be in pain, does not eat...that’s the time to take action. Until then, she’s gaven me unconditional love since she was a puppy and I’ll do the same for her.

@Shanus  ((hugs)).... it is never easy.... but just part of  pet ownership.... having them in your life loving you for so many years unconditionally....  thank you. 

Trusted Contributor

My Jake 14.5 years old was having similiar issues Scoop.  His backlegs were weak, so he couldnt hold himself up to go to the bathroom.  He would often slip down while trying to poop, hence sitting down on the poop.  Be careful to really keep his backend really clean so an infection doesnt setup.  I wish you the very best.  I kept my Jake as comfortable as possible for many months.  Hugs to you as you take the best care of your baby.