Honored Contributor

Re: Need a high fiber dog food

@January121 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

First of all, be sure and not buy any food with peas, legumes, potato, beans, because of the dcm ,in dogs  look up the lack of taurine in food, until we know for sure what is causing this,best to be safe.

@goldensrbest  .... Hi goldensrbest ....please help me with this .... I have a miniature poodle & I feed her “people food” mixed with rice & PEAS ... you mentioned not to buy food with peas because of the DCM .... I am not familiar with this & want to know how the peas can harm my poodle.... thanks for your help 🥰

Adding a few peas to her food won't hurt her, @January121 .

The problems with the commercial foods are due to the manufacturers using legumes as a substitute for meat protein.  

You may want to vary her veggie intake to more than peas, however. 

There are some very nice dog recipe books available.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@January121 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

First of all, be sure and not buy any food with peas, legumes, potato, beans, because of the dcm ,in dogs  look up the lack of taurine in food, until we know for sure what is causing this,best to be safe.

@goldensrbest  .... Hi goldensrbest ....please help me with this .... I have a miniature poodle & I feed her “people food” mixed with rice & PEAS ... you mentioned not to buy food with peas because of the DCM .... I am not familiar with this & want to know how the peas can harm my poodle.... thanks for your help 🥰

Look up the fda warning about dcm in dogs, it may be that peas,beans, legumes ,is part of the problem, dog food companies replaced real protein,meat ,chicken ,and so forth in part with these, nothing is for sure right now, but i had my dogs on two of the foods on a list ,that has the greatest  cases of dcm, i changed to dog food with grains, limited grains , farmina with grains.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Apples/applesauce is another good source of fiber.  Most dogs like them.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

I'm a lab owner  and love them!!   As for fiber,  I have added cooked oats to their diet.  Beet pulp is said to be very good,  but I have not tried that.   I know you said your pup doesn't like pumpkin,  perhaps mixed in with the oats, would work.    One recipe I've cooked over the years, is...either ground Turkey, beef, or chicken (depends on your dog, as for meat choices)  browned in organic coconut oil, and/or olive oil,   then add either oats, or brown rice, green beans, unsalted chicken stock,..when that's all cooked, then add tumerick and black pepper, and cook only for a few more minutes.   The tumerick and black pepper are a healthy addition, not necessary.   Black pepper works as a boost to turmeric.   All said...maybe a couple tablespoons added to your labs food would help.    I make a big batch, and freeze portions.   Hope this helpful!!

Yes we love labs too, she’s so special, just adore her....she’s had a tough road, at 4 yrs she was diagnosed with IMT, a autoimmune disease that destroys her platelets...she ‘s 9 now and has had a few relapses, and is now on a permanent regimen of prednisone. At this point I just want to give her what she wants and make her happy😍

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Adding a few peas to her food won't hurt her, @January121 .

The problems with the commercial foods are due to the manufacturers using legumes as a substitute for meat protein.  

You may want to vary her veggie intake to more than peas, however. 

There are some very nice dog recipe books available.

@GingerPeach   THANKS SO MUCH!!!! 😃

Contributor

Due to multiple heath issues I make my dog food. To add fiber the vet nutritionist had me add Fiber One cereal. 12 lb dog and it works out to be about 1/4 cup a day. Also have Metamucil in it too. But he is a hard to maintain diabetic so both would probably be too much fiber for a healthy dog.   But if you want crunchy rathef than powder you could try fiber one .

Honored Contributor

One of my dogs was on a perscription dog food for weight loss. It was pricey, especially for a big dog, but it had a high fiber content. I ordered it online but it's something you'd have to speak to a vet about.

Honored Contributor

@shoobee wrote:

Due to multiple heath issues I make my dog food. To add fiber the vet nutritionist had me add Fiber One cereal. 12 lb dog and it works out to be about 1/4 cup a day. Also have Metamucil in it too. But he is a hard to maintain diabetic so both would probably be too much fiber for a healthy dog.   But if you want crunchy rathef than powder you could try fiber one .

@shoobee  Fiber one cereal has Splenda the artificial sweetener in it.  I would not want to give that to any pet of mine. 

Contributor

Sucralose is not dangerous to pets like xylitol and aspartame. While unlimited amounts might not be great,  if fiber is important to maintain the pets health and nothing else is working, it is an option. It was recommended by the vet nutritionist and has helped my dog greatly.  But like I said 12 lb dog and only 1/4cup a day. Have been doing about 2 years now with no problem. Last blood work was best he ever had since he was adopted 6 years ago.

Valued Contributor

I use Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response.  My dogs love it.