Trusted Contributor

Need Rec’s For pet wheelchair/cart

My sweet little Schnauzer tore his ACL in his right leg. Because he is 14, Vet said surgery would be too tricky and the recovery would be difficult. His other leg is beginning to show signs of strain because it has to do all the work. They have recommended looking into having a cart made for him. Any pet parents here that have one for their dog that could share brands or companies to research. Thank you in advance. 

He he has been my trusted and true friend for 14 years. He’s been by my side through some very difficult times in my life and I will do all I can to give him quality of life for however long he has left with us. I won’t ever let him suffer, but if a cart can give some quality of life, then I will move heaven and earth to get him one. Any help will be so appreciated.😊😊

Respected Contributor

Re: Need Rec’s For pet wheelchair/cart

I ordered a pet stroller from Amazon when my wire fox terrier couldn't do a whole walk any more.  He loved that stroller and I would let him walk until he couldn't go any more and then I'd put him in the stroller and we'd finish the walk with his younger brother.  Just type in Pet Stroller in the search bar.

Regular Contributor

Last year my son's dachshund had a back problem and could not walk, just dragged back legs.  After crate rest we ordered the Huggiecart from Amazon.  We got the size 2 Extra Small.  When it arrived I was sure it would be too big for the dog but son insisted on putting it together and giving it a try.  She got the hang of it very quickly could move about without a problem.  She has since recovered and no longer uses the cart.  I do recommend it and hope you find a solution to give your pup some relief.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for taking the time to reply....there are some really awesome folks on these boards and I always seem to find answers and helpful hints. Thanks so very much!!!😊😊

Respected Contributor

Oh, your post really tugs at my heart. I'm going to cry as I type this. The same thing happened to my 14 year old Cairn terrier in 1998. I was clueless back then...and I think my vet was, too. Woman Sad Within a week we did surgery on my baby and it was probably the worst decision of my life. Kudos to your vet for his non surgery recommendation for an older dog.

How long has it been since he tore his ACL? I've learned a lot since 1998. The acute problem with walking on that leg will get somewhat better over time. It will never be right, but some dogs can do quite well, especially if your dog is not overweight. My neighbor did not do surgery on her older (12, I think) dog, and with meds and mild exercise, her dog managed well. Ironically, years later my heart dog, who I rescued from an Amish puppy mill, tore her ACL, too. I was so depressed and stunned...having to go through the nightmare, yet again, with another Cairn. But she was young, only six years old, and I did choose to do the surgery. I was a nervous mess, but she did very, very well!!! To this day I can still see her when I would open our sliding glass door. She would bust outta there and run like the wind through our backyard. You would never know she'd had surgery. Her success somewhat made up for the brutal surgery failure with my first dog.

@grandma petes, I'm so sorry I've rambled on here. I have no experience with a dog cart and that was your question. Sorry. But I send you a big hug and will pray for all the best for your beloved buddy. Can you tell us his name? 

Sincerely,

pup 

Trusted Contributor

@pupwhipped What a beautiful and heartfelt message. I have tears as I reply....you truly touched my heart with your loving tributes to your pups....how lucky they were to have you as their mom. My little guys name is Buddy. He has been a rock of support and unwaivering devotion for 14 years. My life is better because he is in it. Knowing that awful day will come when I no longer have him is a pain that just breaks my heart. I will never let him suffer, but so far the Vet says with controlled pain meds and lots of rest, he has a chance to recover somewhat, but it will never be fully healed. I will do everything in my power to make sure however much time he has left is filled with all the love and pampering he truly deserves.

Again, thank you so much. Words can’t express how much your post touched my heart. Thank you so very much.

Respected Contributor

Grandmapetes, if you google "Eddie's Wheels for pets" I think you will find what you are looking for, they have pet wheelchairs for all kinds of disabilities.  (I'd include a link but the moderators would poof the post, even though QVC does not carry such items.)

Respected Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

@pupwhipped What a beautiful and heartfelt message. I have tears as I reply....you truly touched my heart with your loving tributes to your pups....how lucky they were to have you as their mom. My little guys name is Buddy. He has been a rock of support and unwaivering devotion for 14 years. My life is better because he is in it. Knowing that awful day will come when I no longer have him is a pain that just breaks my heart. I will never let him suffer, but so far the Vet says with controlled pain meds and lots of rest, he has a chance to recover somewhat, but it will never be fully healed. I will do everything in my power to make sure however much time he has left is filled with all the love and pampering he truly deserves.

Again, thank you so much. Words can’t express how much your post touched my heart. Thank you so very much.

@grandma petes, thanks so much for your kind words. Let me know if I can help you in anyway, even if it's just to hold your hand and understand what you're going through. And can you believe I said I would pray for your "buddy" when what I meant was your friend/pal. And then you tell me his name is actually Buddy! 

God Bless you BOTH.   

Trusted Contributor

@pupwhipped You are so kind. I’m truly so very thankful for your support and it means more than you know. So far we are hanging in there. Everyday he’s still with us is a blessing. I’m researching all methods of helping him recover. I will keep you posted on our journey. Have a wonderful weekend.😊😊