Respected Contributor

Need PERCORTEN medicine for dog w ADDISONS.

[ Edited ]

My dog has ADDISONS disease and must have a PERCORTEN injection once a month. The average price I have been finding is $175 a bottle. If anyone knows where to find it cheaper please let me know. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need PERCORTEN medicine for dog w ADDISONS.

Have you tried using Good RX?  I've used it for purchasing drugs for a dog.  Have you discussed alternatives with your vet?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ellaphant  Wow, that is expensive and doesn't look like it's discounted much on any website.  It looks like Allivet has it for $161.50 and then retail me not has a $10 coupon code for purchases over $100.  Not sure if eligible, but the only advice I can give it to compare prices with your local vet and then search for discount codes, use a rewards credit card if you can and use Ebates or another similar site where you can get cash back.

Also try your local "people" pharmacy, sometimes they carry pet prescriptions too, and/or try going through a pharmacy in Canada.  My sister got a prescription filled from a Canadian Pharmacy, for the exact same thing as she could buy in the US, but about 75% less expensive.   Good luck. 

Edited to add*********

I see that Petco also carries it and has discount codes on line and a discount for repeat orders, and  20% off your first order.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

Give Canada a shot.  I've ordered one sinus med from there for years.  If I reference the website - this message won't last to see morning - but check it out thru Google - I've had no problem with payment (credit card) nor delivery of product.  They have zillons of meds available at reasonable price.

Respected Contributor

@ellaphant   wow! that's alot.  my dog was just diagnosed with addisons as well. she has to go in for a injection every 28 days. since it will be a lifelong thing, i am not paying for a office visit. i will have to have a blood panel done 3x's a year.  they charged my 13.95 for my last injection. maybe i'm getting something else. 

she explained that the injection is for the electrolyes, and the predisone is for ??? sorry i forget. stress related symptoms.  i wonder why yours is so much more?

Honored Contributor

Costco has Pet Meds that are often cheaper.  You do not need a membership to purchase.  You can call them for a price.  I buy most of my pet meds there.

I have two dogs who take meds.  One dog takes Vetmedin.  This drugs is difficult to find anywhere.  It is always backordered and everyone runs out..we have to go weeks before we can get it again.

It used to be $98 for 100 pills a year ago.  Now it is $149.  My dogs takes two a day, if we are lucky to be able to get it.

These Pet meds are getting crazy with the high prices.

Respected Contributor

Percorten dosing is based on WEIGHT of the dog, and even in the same weight range, some dogs need more and some need less.  All veterinarians should be TESTING the dog's bloodwork at least once a month, usually a day before the injection is due, and titrating the dose of drug based on the dog's sodium/potassium ratio and the levels of both electrolytes.  It is absolutely CRUCIAL to make sure the dog is getting not too much NOR too little Percorten if they are to feel well and remain healthy!  Once the correct dose for each particular dog is determined through regular electrolyte monitoring and altering the dose to match the bloodwork, one can usually reduce bloodwork to every three to six months, UNLESS the dog exhibits symptoms of electrolyte imbalance, such as vomitting, inappetance, lethargy, etc.  Vets should NOT use massive prednisone doses to "prop up" a dog who is being over or underdosed with Percorten, and yet it seems that many do just that, making the dog miserable and shortening their lifespan. 

I STRONGLY urge every owner of an Addison's dog to join an online support group such as the Addison's Dogs Yahoo Group, there are moderators who can help you negotiate the early steps in getting your dog back to it's best possible health and wellness.  They can teach you what to look out for, what questions to ask your vet, help calm your fears, and help you become an advocate for your dog, since they cannot speak for themselves.

Respected Contributor

@CamilleP   That is great advice to join a group who has pets with the same issue.  I'm sure they will be able to navigate her through what she needs to know and where to purchase the medicine she is looking for at the best price.

My wonderful lab is on tramadol but it's $72 for 200 bills so it's not too expensive to get from her vet.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@ellaphant,  there is a generic equivalent to Percorten called Zycortal for Dogs.  It is a little less expensive.

This article discusses an oral alternative that is a "people" medication used off label for dogs.  Perhaps it will work out to be less expensive (guess weight of your dog determines dosage and therefor e expense) if your vet approves.  http://canineaddisonsinfo.com/Percorten_Florinef.html

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.