Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Opinions Please

[ Edited ]

@Jtdmum@luvmybeetle@Jasmine19@Catty2@OKPrincess@Kachina624

Thanks everyone.  Skippy has been falling down. My son just sent me a video and I am soaking wet.  He sounds like he is struggling for air. Growing up my ex never allowed us to have a dog, so Skippy is really my sons first dog.  I know his heart is ripping out, because this dog means so much to him.  Being divorced and living alone also.  He is in the Military and holds a high position in the Navy, so that is a good thing, because he has a very very busy job. (Keep him busy)  I don't want Skippy to be alone so I am going to drive to Tampa tomorrow to stay with him.  I think my son feels that the consult cannot hurt anything.   

Skippy is eating and drinking and moving his bowels ok, but this video freaks me out he sent. Not sure if the Dr heard him like this.  I guess Oncologist is going to call him and set appointemnt up.

Thanks so much everyone.  He worked for a  Vet Clinic when he was in high school before he joined the Navy.  He has kept in close touch with one of the vets from there and I told him , he should talk to her as well.  This has to be his decision. I am on my second dog.  My first dog a Malteste had seizures most of her life.  I know for me, I had a veryhard time with it.  Once she started vomiting and could not stop , I knew it was time.  I feel he will know when it is time.

Thank you all for your advice.  I jsut think kinda like Kachina that the dog s 17 and Jack Russels usually don't live that long. I will give my sonmy advice and what you all said, but he has to make this decision.  Rips my heart out.  My dog is sitting here barking at me because I am crying.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

IMO, a seventeen year old dog has lived his life and should be permitted to pass away in peace without medical intervention.  If he's in pain, get meds for that but when he's obviously uncomfortable and meds don't help,  it's time to say good-bye.  A peaceful death is the greatest gift an owner can give an old dog.

@Kachina624  Theygave him pain pills but my son stopped them because he said he could not walk when on them.   He does not seem to be suffering at this point.   He is sleeping and he sent me another video and he is quiet now.  That was a little relief.  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

skippy saying night night.jpg

Honored Contributor

The last chapter in my way of thinking is, I love this pet (dog) so much, that even with all the love and joy between us, I refuse to let this little animal suffer any pain.  In humans, we know it's painful.  Our little hearts on 4 legs, some less, can't talk and tell us of their pain.  That's why our last great act of love for these dear hearts, has to be to not let them suffer.  

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe and Son,

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom   Thanks so much---That is beautiful!

Respected Contributor

Ballet~~I am sorry you and your son are going through this difficult time ... a dog is a man's best friend, and there is a special bond.  Skippy knows he is loved and whatever happens, you both will feel comforted with any decision.  My first dog was named Skippy, so I also shed tears as I read your posts. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Opinions Please

[ Edited ]

BalletBabe, let the oncologist see him and give a diagnosis.  The doctor can give a good diagnosis and guide you and your son on what to do.  Do it for 

Skippy and your son.  You'll feel better.  My grandfather had a three legged dog that he named Skippy.  It's a wonderful name.  God bless, SC

Esteemed Contributor

It's a difficult decision but we are the human that our animals look to for care and decision making. Our German Shelpherd was only 8 when she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. It was located in her chest above her front legs. Our vet only gave her 3 weeks maybe 4. I have had co-workers that did the cancer treatment on their dogs and it still ended in the dog's death. Our priority was our dog's quality of life. the location of the cancer and the prospect of it growing to impede her leg movement was our guessing game. We could feel the tumor's growth and when it reached the top of her legs we made our decision. it was heartbreaking but the right thing to do. She loved to run and take walks so if she couldn't do that any longer then it was time. It is a personal decision and every one has to find their own time.

Respected Contributor

It totally depends on what kind of cancer Skippy has!  B-cell lymphoma is highly treatable, remission is very possible.  Depending on his overall health and condition, the oncologist can help your son make the best decision for Skippy, even if it simple palliative care.  It looks to me like Skippy is still pretty bright and happy, if he were my dog I would at least consult an oncologist to get a stage diagnosis and find out what kind of cancer he was facing.