Esteemed Contributor

This is my Grandson Skippy.  Skippy is 17 years old and we were told today that he has cancer.   They want my son to take him to an oncologist.   i love this dog to death, but where do you draw the line ?  What can an oncologist do for a 17 year old dog that has cancer in his lymph nodes.   Appreciate your thoughts!

1095004_10201333146481948_1183688726_n.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe, Skippy is adorable and I am so sorry that he has cancer.  While at 17, your son probably will want to make Skippy's last days wonderful, I would still take him to the oncologist for an opinion.   The diagnosis might be wrong or it might be a cancer that can be easily treated, depending on what it is.   Hoping for the best outcome for Skippy.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

For a 17-year-old dog ----------- comfort measures only. Heart

Honored Contributor

IMO, a seventeen year old dog has lived his life and should be permitted to pass away in peace without medical intervention.  If he's in pain, get meds for that but when he's obviously uncomfortable and meds don't help,  it's time to say good-bye.  A peaceful death is the greatest gift an owner can give an old dog.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Sorry to hear about your precious Skippy. He looks like a cool dude on that motorcycle 🏍. 

We have cats so I don’t know Skippy’s life span but best wishes for whatever decision your family makes.

Trusted Contributor

First, so sorry about his illness. 

Outside his diagnosis, how is he doing? Up until now has he been ok? Eating etc?  Is he experincing pain? What stage do they think this cancer is at? 

Two of my dogs have had cancer.  One was bladder cancer, the other was a misdiagnosed skin cancer.

Both were treated by the same Vet oncologist.  They are extrordinary professionals and don't fool around.  Will tell you straight up if there is or is not something they can help with.

Where do you draw the line? Where you want to.   To get an opinion is not hideously expensive.  Dogs react very differntly to chemo/radiation - They don;t get nearly as sick as people do, the worst side effect I saw was sleeping more (tired,) but not nearly the way people react. Treatments vary widely in cost based on the treatment and the area you live.  So again , to answer your question- You decide where to draw the line.

If it were not worth it, would your vet have suggested the oncologist?  

Respected Contributor

@BalletBabe

He is so adorable!  I would go see the oncologist just to see what the options are.  That doesn't mean you have to do any treatments but I'd want to know as much as possible about what the future may hold.  Sending hugs to you and Skippy.   Heart

Valued Contributor

Your son will rest easier if he knows all Skippy's options were explored. I know I would.

Respected Contributor

God bless your little baby.  I just put down an 18 yr old cat and that was very traumatic for me.  My advice is to think of the dog's comfort.  It doesn't matter how old the dog is because he is someone's beloved pet.  My vet helps advise me with some of these decisions.  My cat was in very much pain and I felt it to be the best decision to give him rest.  If the dog is in deep pain and he can be medicated to make him feel better, which I doubt, but please do what is best for the animal and not for the human.  His guardian angel will be with him.

Respected Contributor

what a adorable grandson you have!  I think that everyone has expressed what i was going to say. 

Do what's best for skippys comfort.  If it was me, (and i have had my fair share of this decision) you have to do the kindest thing you can for him.

I wouldn't personally do any treatments at his age. Love him. If he is in pain at all, well, no one likes to be in pain. 

i'm sorry you and your son have to make a decision like this.  hugs.