Respected Contributor

Re: Need Help Identifying Dog Breed

My vote is an australian shepherd. I had one and it sounds a lot like her.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

Here's a tri-color Burnese Mountain dog

bernese-mountain-dog.jpg

My friend breeds and shows these dogs...she has three right now.

Unfortunately they seem to have short lives...so sad!

A lot of the bigger dogs have shorter lives.  I have a lab/great dane mix who is now 10 years old and doing very well, but I can't help worry about him as Great Danes have very short lifespans and he's got a lot of the dane characteristics.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The bobtail gives it away,  an Australian Shepherd.   The have wavy fur and come in tri color as well as other coloration.   Many have blue eyes.  A miniature version was accepted for registration by the AKC  in the past couple of years,  called Minature  American Shepherds.   The breed has nothing to do with Australia and was developed in the American West.   They are very active,  great herding dogs and my personal favorite breed.   They are not apartment dogs.   This is the breed Dan and Kelly Hughes raise and sometimes appear on the Q. 

australian-shepherd-tri-color-black.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Here is my Aussie rescue, Jennie, who is 15-16 years old now but still chugging away.  She's a red tri colored.

image.jpeg

Here's my mini Aussie, Joy, who dies about 3 years ago.  She was my "heart" dog.  Her coloration is called blue merle.

image.jpeg

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with the others who believe this breed to be an Australian Shepherd.

But, just a side note.  There is an author named Jon Katz, who has written many books about working dogs, though I think mostly border collies?  Anyway, he was a writer who had a love for dogs and nature and just decided to up and buy an old livestock farm that he rebuilt into a working sheep farm and began to raise these wonderfully smart and beautiful herding dogs.  I think he has authored greater than two dozen books, some of which I have read and really enjoyed.  Plus, I believe he has a website and daily online journal.  If you have an interest in these types of dogs, I would check out his books.  Also, because he has done so much research on the subject, you might see a dog on his website that looks like your granddad's Duke.

I just thought it was worth mentioning, pass it on, or maybe you are already familiar with his work.  Happy trails (and tails).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NorskyGal wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

My husband's family had Border Collies and they had black and white wavy coats.  They have tails however, the Australian Shepherd usually doesn't.

Well, I think the tail was bobbed when he was a pup by the breeder.

@NorskyGal  Aussie are usually not born with bobtails.   It's is done by a vet when they're very young.   Most of them have wavy fur with a heavy undercoat.   Many are bred as working or stock dogs and are bred for performance,  not appearance. Most working border collies are not even purebred,  they look like and often are talented mutts from the pound... same with sled dogs. 

I have a sheep rancher friend here in NM who raises champion border collies.   Her best dog came from a shelter and is so good she has competed in herding trials in Ireland.   There is always a waiting list for her pups.   She's nothing to look at though,  a far cry from the breed standard. 

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

My first thought is Australian Shepherd or a Bernese Mountain dog.

Mine, too. And Australian Shepherd dogs are known for herding cattle. I have some friends who use them in cutting competitions at rodeos.

We had one that use to herd a ball all around the yard yipping with a terrible high pitch little bark. Big fun for him. We were at the beach one day and a soccer club was there playing and our Aussie sprang into action, herded that ball away from all the players and was a total hit. They wanted to sign him up! To the OP...check out the images for Aussies on google.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

To:  Kachina624

I really enjoyed the pictures of your dogs, Jennie & Joy. They are both beautiful girls.

Honored Contributor

@NorskyGal, did you look up "herding dogs"?  To live in ND he'd have to be pretty hearty and have a thicker coat for the winters. I'm not sure what that would be, but he sounds wonderful.

Honored Contributor

@NorskyGal, be sure to watch the Westminster Dog show in Feb. and maybe you can find out watching that one. Sounds like it could be a mix. ?? That could be interesting for you.