Respected Contributor

Re: Need Advice on Bathing a Cat

@NickNack wrote:

@noodleann    I have never bathed a cat, but do want to say that I would definitely use a shampoo for cats. Human shampoo disrupts the pH balance of the skin.  You can Google this for information.

Also, when I bathe my dog I put a hand towel down in the bottom of the tub.  This keeps her from slipping.

I had a cat one time that suddenly got a greasy coat.  I couldn't understand it.  I took him to the Vet and after much research she put him on a special food.  This was about 15 years ago, so I'm not really clear on what it was.  I think it was a prescription food.  It cleared up his coat fairly quickly.  I was really amazed.

I wish you good luck in bathing him.  I would be afraid to bathe my cat and would take him to the Vet and let them do it.  I would also highly suggest a Vet appt. about the greasy coat and see what they would recommend.

I am taking him to the vet, but the appointment is in mid-October. I wanted to get his skin cleaned up, especially at the base of the tail, before then. I think he will feel better. He's just not able to properly groom himself there. He's had a bit of a greasy coat for a while, but it's just now gotten worse and the dirt in that area was a new development.

This cat was one I rescued with a litter that was born in the wild. The vet estimated they were about 6 to 8 weeks old. He had a very bad case of roundworm that Drontal didn't touch (got rid of the hookworms) and it was only with the advice of a vet tech friend of a friend that I requested Profender and that knocked out the infestation. Big Boy's tastes in food changed overnight, and that was also the end of his unthrifty coat and other sad indicators that he wasn't getting full nutrition from what he ate.

But his stools were quite large in diameter, more what you'd see from a human toddler than a young cat, and that hasn't changed. I think having his intestines packed with the worms for so long permanently distended them, and I think their presence may have also altered his ability to get full benefit from his food.

I know this is TMI, but it's what I've been thinking about as I observe him and reflect on his history. I'm hoping the vet will okay and even prescribe nutrient supplements, if not souped-up food, that will help him get all the nutrients he needs. All I'm doing now is preparing him for that visit, but I will be going over all of this with the vet. Thankfully, I have a vet who takes time and really thinks about the animals and their histories as well as their presentation in his examining room.

Thanks very much for your advice, and best birthday wishes to dear little Frankie.

Frequent Contributor

My cats are professionally groomed, but I've heard that if you put an old piece of screen that he can grip onto while bathing, it makes them feel more secure.

Good Luck!

Valued Contributor

I will pray for you Cat Tongue

Seriously,I have only bathed my cats a few times.One of our cats attacked my husband while we were bathing the other cat since he thought we were hurting her. We were in the tub and he came right over and grabbed my DH's arm. She was meowing in stress and he wasn't going to allow it anymore. There was blood.

I see a lot of good suggestions.Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@noodleann ....don't do it

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom ,

Thanks for your concern.

Your hub will glad to know I am not one who turns the animal loose to lick itself dry.

I diluted one sixth of the amount I'd apply directly to my own head/hair in about 5 gallons of water, and lowered her into it. When she came out she was immediately swaddled in microfiber bath towels, so was unable to lick at wet fur.

The Duraflame was already in the room and running. I tended to her feet and ears while the microfiber did its job.

Then I set her on dry microfiber in front of the quartz heater and began combing her. That combination makes her go gaga-limp with contentment, so she did not attempt to lick her fur at this stage either.

I combed and applied microfiber and softly blowing heat until she was completely dry.

Although I had shampoo, I went with diluted WENwater as I wanted a soothing effect on the irritated skin in addition to a mild cleanse.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with you @noodleann  as far as traumatizing the cat with a car trip just to have a bath.  I think if it was me, I'd work up to it. 

Step 1:  see how the cat tolerates a damp washcloth along the fur on his        little body

Step 2:  maybe the expose the cat to just a little shallow water (enough to 

cover his little feet or maybe up to the ankle) in a sink

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Various places sell pet shower heads with a hose.  I used to have one for my dog.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@beach-mom ,

Thanks for your concern.

Your hub will glad to know I am not one who turns the animal loose to lick itself dry.

I diluted one sixth of the amount I'd apply directly to my own head/hair in about 5 gallons of water, and lowered her into it. When she came out she was immediately swaddled in microfiber bath towels, so was unable to lick at wet fur.

The Duraflame was already in the room and running. I tended to her feet and ears while the microfiber did its job.

Then I set her on dry microfiber in front of the quartz heater and began combing her. That combination makes her go gaga-limp with contentment, so she did not attempt to lick her fur at this stage either.

I combed and applied microfiber and softly blowing heat until she was completely dry.

Although I had shampoo, I went with diluted WENwater as I wanted a soothing effect on the irritated skin in addition to a mild cleanse.

That is brilliant and caring, @x Hedge  I'd want you in the room with me if I needed a cat-wash consultant.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

This is addressed to all cat custodians who either regularly bathe their cats or had to bathe a cat once or twice. I've done it once in the very distant past, and know the first rule of cat baths is to make sure their claws are clipped.

I am planning on washing Big Boy (and he is big, around 18 lb.). He is 9, a ginger, and has no current health issues except obesity, which we're working on. He is an indoor cat. I'm washing him because his lower back coat's gotten very greasy and I believe he had fleas this summer (now treated) and has what looks like stud tail. I believe the fleas came from mice, which have been routed.

I plan to wash him in the double laundry sink, where he'll be elevated and I can have a tub for washing and a tub for rinsing. (I can't kneel for more than a few seconds, so the bathtub is out.) I'll do it on an upcoming day when the temps are in the 80s and have plenty of toweling I've run in the dryer to warm it up ready to wrap him in when I've finished rinsing him off. I've read advice about keeping shampoo off his head so it doesn't get in his eyes or ears. I called the vet's office for shampoo recommendations, and they just kept repeating "oatmeal" and "nothing medicated."

A search on Amazon yielded some possible shampoos, and the one I liked most was Davis Oatmeal and Aloe Dog and Cat Shampoo. It's supposed to be hypoallergenic.

Your shampoo recommendations and any tips on the bathing process, prep to aftermath, would be much appreciated.

For your own protection, put a thick long towel around your neck and  coming down over your chest. My beloved cat would become scared and freaked out whenever bathed and she would sink her claws deep into my chest on the top of my breasts. I had to have help disengaging her claws from my skin on many occasions. My vet’s staff had the same experience when bathing her. The towel worked to protect me. She was not a big cat. 

Your ur idea of a warm towel for your kitty is a great idea. I always used a sprayer with a nozzle to control the rinsing. I was able to put a teensie amount of shampoo on a clean washcloth with warm water and do her head and back of her ears and neck. Then I’d rinse using a couple more water saturated washcloths. This didn’t bother her. What bothered her was standing in water.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Various places sell pet shower heads with a hose.  I used to have one for my dog.

I have one in my shower. I clean my shower using it. Mine doesn’t work for a sink though. It’s called RINSE ACE shower sprayer. Their website has many models including sprayers for humans., sprayer for pets and models that work for faucets. You can order from them directly or order from Amazon.  I love, love, love mine.C4D878E1-C377-4331-A1E6-E5F7F4AFD1F2.jpeg24C564B5-40D5-4AB4-A165-6589389C22D4.jpeg6E67F43D-D339-4D58-AC65-3715911819EA.jpeg