Respected Contributor

Re: Need Advice Re. Adopting a Cat

Years ago I had a cat named Muffy also. It's a hard decision to know if I should adopt one or two cats. Guess I will have to watch them interact. Thanks so much for your input.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

What a cute response. I'm sorry you had to go through Hurricane Irene, but iit got you back into cats. My cat would also tap my door when she wanted in or out. It always made me smile. Still not sure what I will ultimately do, but I love the responses. They make me feel better.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for your response. My last two cats were shelter cats, and I will definitely get my next cat or cats from a shelter. I'm thinking of volunteering at our local shelter just maybe one four-hour shift a week.

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for your response. My cats always got so much attention. I know what you mean about leaving the cats alone. I love playing, hugging, and petting my cats. When I am ready to adopt, my next kitty will get lots of love and attention.

Respected Contributor

i am glad your heart is open to a new kitty cat or two despite your loss.  we all know how that stings and leaves a void.  i have had many cats -  i had a cat who was pregnant when i adopted her (and found out when i took her to the vet's for a check-up).  i ended up with two of the litter.  they lived a long life and i loved them dearly.  the problem is they died very close together -  and on their heels of their mother.  what a horrible 9 months. so my advice on adopting more than one  think of spacing their ages as well as their compatibility.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you. That is good advice. I was thinking about that with the two cats that I had. I lost both of them in just a little over a year. I no sooner got over mourning the loss of the first one, and then the second one became ill. Something to think about.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brinklii wrote:

Thank you for your great advice. I'm leaning toward adopting just one cat since someone is usually at home at our house. Right now, I'm still grieving the loss of my other kitty, so it wouldn't be fair to bring a new cat into our home right now. I'll know when the time is right. I'm happy to hear that your "only" cats didn't seem lonely.

We're down to just one kitty now.

She is going on 18 this year. Her housemate died almost five years ago. 

He became ill rather unexpectedly. She was quite depressed for some time after he died. She became more attached to me afterwards.

She seems to have adjusted to being in a "one cat home," though. I don't think that she would do too well with having another cat around. 

She gets a lot of attention from both my husband and me. We both play with her and take care of her. 

When we adopted the two of them, we adopted them together as a pair. They came from the same household, but they were not littermates.

She was about a year or so older than he was, and they were really devoted to each other.

The shelter asked that they be adopted together if possible, and were giving a reduced adoption fee for doing so, but that isn't why we adopted them.

They were both just so cute and had such engaging and endearing personalities, so that is why we took them together. Heart

They would play with each other and he loved to chase her and play with her. It was really fun watching them play together. They would also get into all kinds of mischief together, too. They would really have me laughing, with their little hijinks! Smiley LOL Heart

We are thinking that we would probably do the same thing again in the future-adopt two together-either littermates, or two that have a bond together, so that they can play together and keep each other company. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brinklii wrote:

She got to the point where she was only 5 pounds (she was only 9 pounds at her highest). She wouldn't eat, was having trouble pooping, and had a mild heart condition.

For those of you who have only one kitty, can you tell me if your cat is lonely ~~ or maybe it depends on the cat's personality?? I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks so much!

Hi Brinklii,

Please don't blame yourself for your 2nd cat's death, or think she died of "loneliness". 

I've had many cats in my long life and it sounds to me like your cat perished from renal failure due to old age.

Currently, I have one kitty (and a dog, and a bird).  She's an indoor/outdoor cat and when she gets "lonely" she just goes outside.  She actually belongs to a neighbor down the street who has a "colony" of cats.  Apparently, this cat didn't like living in the colony and preferred my house.  I've been taking care of her for over 3 years.  Anyway, all of my cats (including the current one) have been "loner" cats. What I mean is, when I had multiple indoor cats, they never cuddled with eachother;  even the ones that came from the same litter.  Each cat "dwelled" in a different part of the house and never seemed to be interested in keeping company with the others, but they did like keeping me company -- just like my current cat.  I call them "loner" cats.  Seems, as long as they know you are "near", they're happy.

My cats have always bonded to me -- not other animals in the house.

So, I think if you get a new cat, he/she will be fine alone and will bond to you.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

Hi everyone. I haven't been on here in a long while. I am the caregiver for my mother, and that keeps me very busy.

I lost my 18 year old kitty a couple days ago. She was just the light of my life. Having to put her down just about ripped out my heart. She went downhill in the last year. I lost her 17 year old sibling a year ago. Even though I gave her lots of love and attention, I am wondering if she was lonely after losing her sibling. IDK. I am thinking maybe that is why she went downhill. She got to the point where she was only 5 pounds (she was only 9 pounds at her highest). She wouldn't eat, was having trouble pooping, and had a mild heart condition.

I am not ready to adopt another kitty right now. I am just too upset about losing her. Looking forward, I know I will want another kitty. My mother wants one too. She loved my kitty as much as I did. I am wondering if it is wise to adopt just one kitty, or will she be lonely? For those of you who have only one kitty, can you tell me if your cat is lonely ~~ or maybe it depends on the cat's personality?? I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks so much!

@Yardlie

I've had an 'only' kitten/cat twice, and would do it again (unless it was a bonded pair); each time my kitten/cat bonded with me and was perfectly happy to be the 'only'. Getting all the scratches, and snuggles without having to compete with another pet! Most cats are by nature solitary creaters; dogs prefer a 'pack'. (I'm sure that there are plenty of instances when a cat or dog doesnt follow that trend, but it has been my experience, so far....).