Honored Contributor

Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food

Does anyone feed Natural Balance L.I.D Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food?  Ava has been eating Hill's Prescription Diet Z/D (hydrolyzed diet) for around a year.  She was getting sick and throwing up with diarrhea on her previous food.  The Specialty Vet said to put her on Z/D to see if she improved.  

She has done very well on the Z/D, but the Vet also said that I could try switching her to a novelty protein diet in the future.  The Z/D is extremely expensive, and she has dandruff even though the Z/D is high in Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.  After looking at many different possibilities I decided to try the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Duck & Brown Rice.  I ordered the dry food with grains.  I ordered it from Chewy, and it is out for delivery today.

I am anxious to try it but will mix it in gradually with her other food.  Does anyone feed this to their dog or cat?  How do they do on it?  Do your pets like this food?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food

@NickNack I've fed my dogs the natural balance original chicken dry dog food (along with other things) since they were pups. They've always loved it. When they became seniors, I switched to the senior version.  But Natural Balance was sold earlier this year and they no longer offer the senior version, so I'm back to the regular formula.  Hopefully, they won't change the formula.

Honored Contributor

Have you looked at farmina? I really like this kibble.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Our little guy chows down on Primal Pronto...he eats raw and he is so healthy. He was raised on it after struggling to find the right food.  He has been on PP for nine years and has never been sick. You can go to The Dog Food Advisor to check on this or any other food.

"There is no question that Primal Dog Food is an excellent raw dog food choice. The company uses high quality ingredients that are human grade and certified organic. Additionally, their formulas are already completely balanced taking the guess work out of raw dog feeding."

Respected Contributor

@NickNack, the only thing I will say is to be careful. My elderly dog over the last couple of years of his life had terrible issues. Hydrolized protein dog food by Royal Canin worked the best for him for the longest amount of time. I remember trying to switch to a single, novel protein (rabbit I think) and it did not go well at all. It was very frustrating but at least the first 12 or so years of his life he could eat anything and everything...and did. Hope you can find something for Ava that will work and be less expensive, too. Tummy troubles are no fun!  

Respected Contributor

I'm just wondering... have any of you tried feeding your dog (cooked) real food?  Now, I'm not trying to start an argument here; I'm just wondering.  I buy chopped beef or turkey (3 lbs. or so) on sale.  To that I add quinoa and veggies - usually spinach or broccoli - and I might add in some red pepper and carrots.  So it's about 1/3 meat, 1/3 quinoa and 1/3 veggies.  I cook in bulk and freeze in 32 oz. containers.

I know some "special" dog foods are quite pricey and I honestly don't think this costs me much more, if at all.  A few years ago I started reading about how kibble is really unhealthy for dogs and I felt motivated to cook for our Golden.  I do, however, add a bit of kibble to stretch the food.  I buy one of the few kibbles recommended at truth about pet food dot com.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

@spent2much I've always done a mixture of both.  Canned dog stew and dry kibble for breakfast and people food (usually chicken or beef with rice) for dinner.  My large pup is over 14 now and has some serious health issues.  The vet has told me to feed him whatever he wants to eat.  Right now, he loves chow mein noodles with steak.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Have you looked at farmina? I really like this kibble.

@goldensrbest   Yes, I've looked at Farmina.  I know it's a good food, but they don't make a limited ingredient diet.  Ava has to have a limited ingredient novel protein diet.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@NickNack, the only thing I will say is to be careful. My elderly dog over the last couple of years of his life had terrible issues. Hydrolized protein dog food by Royal Canin worked the best for him for the longest amount of time. I remember trying to switch to a single, novel protein (rabbit I think) and it did not go well at all. It was very frustrating but at least the first 12 or so years of his life he could eat anything and everything...and did. Hope you can find something for Ava that will work and be less expensive, too. Tummy troubles are no fun!  

@pupwhipped   Ava loves the Z/D prescription diet.  The new diet came around supper time, and I mixed a little bit with her regular diet.  She ate it all but took a long time to finish it.  I hope she starts liking it better.  

If I can't switch her over to this I will go back to the prescription diet and probably won't try again.  I think this is the second time I've tried to get her off the prescription food.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

I'm just wondering... have any of you tried feeding your dog (cooked) real food?  Now, I'm not trying to start an argument here; I'm just wondering.  I buy chopped beef or turkey (3 lbs. or so) on sale.  To that I add quinoa and veggies - usually spinach or broccoli - and I might add in some red pepper and carrots.  So it's about 1/3 meat, 1/3 quinoa and 1/3 veggies.  I cook in bulk and freeze in 32 oz. containers.

I know some "special" dog foods are quite pricey and I honestly don't think this costs me much more, if at all.  A few years ago I started reading about how kibble is really unhealthy for dogs and I felt motivated to cook for our Golden.  I do, however, add a bit of kibble to stretch the food.  I buy one of the few kibbles recommended at truth about pet food dot com.

Me too!  Just last week I switched from the white tuna to the dark canned.  Think he likes it better!  I also buy hamburger in bulk and freeze it.  Then cook it up with pasta sauce, usually adding peppers to it.  Last week we (we often eat the same) had kielbasa with sauteed cabbage and carrots.  Often bur the in-store baked turkey breast sandwich meat when on sale.  His fave veg is brussel sproutsWoman LOL!  I also think @spent2much  that eating same foods is binding - maybe I'm weird though. And, of course, kibble is added to his meals.