Respected Contributor

National Dog Show

[ Edited ]

Things were so busy here at Thanksgiving, I waited to watch my recording of the National Dog Show. I could not believe my eyes. The German Shepherd was standing directly in front of the Belgian Malinois in the Herding Group.

I could never distinguish the two in videos of police activity or military operations. I have decided it is the head that confuses me. Standing together I could see the German Shepard was larger than the Malinois. I almost wore the remote out rewinding to clearly see the difference.

German Shepard:

IMG_0233.jpeg

Belgian Malinois:

IMG_0232.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I can usually tell which it is when I see a K9.  

As always, I missed it.  I'm either getting lunch on the table, eating, or cleaning up while the show is on.  I only got to see my fave, the bloodhound, at the very beginning in a fluff piece.  I didn't even know what breed won.

Honored Contributor

BTW, @On It  have you ever seen that beautiful black dog on the FBI International show?  I can't remember the breed.  I did look it up once, and apparently they are very smart and commonly used in police work in Europe.  

Honored Contributor

Re: National Dog Show

[ Edited ]

My mom had a beautiful Groenendael Belgian sheepdog. So smart and very loyal. Hair like black silk.

How do Belgian shepherds compare with schäfers and Groenendals? - Quora

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess I haven't seen it, but I will be watching for him.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess It was the Sealyham Terrier. The lady is a breeder, owner, handler. She must have the best dogs judges have seen. She is in the top at every show and wins often.

IMG_0234.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

BTW, @On It  have you ever seen that beautiful black dog on the FBI International show?  I can't remember the breed.  I did look it up once, and apparently they are very smart and commonly used in police work in Europe.  

That black dog is a Giant Schnauzer.

FBI: International' Boss on Forrester & Kellett's Relationship, His Mother  and More

Respected Contributor

Re: National Dog Show

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

My mom had a beautiful Groenendael Belgian sheepdog. So smart and very loyal. Hair like black silk.

How do Belgian shepherds compare with schäfers and Groenendals? - Quora

Your Mom's dog is beautiful.

Oops! Now I have a new problem. That Tervueren looks like a German Shepherd, too. I guess I won't be judging next year's show.

Esteemed Contributor

I adopted a German Shepherd after my Precious Eddy passed.  It'll be a year we've been together on December 9th.

Brody's much larger than the shepherd pictured - he's slightly over 6' tall when standing on his hind legs and weighs in at a perfect 100#.  I'm slightly over 5' tall on a good day:womanwink  and weigh in at slightly over 100#Woman Frustrated.  It was a match definitely made in heaven!

Aside from the standard GS traits (speed and intelligence) Brody often likes to "talk" too me as well as snuggle in bed every nite.  He's a very sweet, lovable 'handsome hero' and is quickly becoming a real foodie!

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme I am so glad you and Brody found each other. He sounds terrific! Give him a special treat for me. I am all about foodies.