Trusted Contributor

Re: NY State Bans Cat Declawing!

@Nightowlz wrote:

That's why I don't own a cat. I don't want to do that. I'm not dealing with cats tearing up my furniture or climbing on my kitchen counters that I have seen in some homes. That's disgusting.

We bottle fed a couple of kittens that were left in the shed next door. I took them to the vet & found homes for them. DH wanted to keep them. I said no way. I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to cats since I get stopped up with itchy eyes & sneezing.

Well, at least you know your limits. 

And you have a good heart for feeding and finding homes for the kittens. 

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Well, I am not a cat person at all.  However, which is better, to declaw a cat and give it a good home, or euthanize it?  I imagine there would be some pet parents who would not adopt a cat if they could not have that done.

When we were in Rome maybe 10? years ago, there were stray cats everywhere.  We went into a cat protection shelter/store and were told that it was against local government to fix the cats.  It had to do with the Italian "machoism."  

I just worry about Government over reach.  NY seems to lead the charge on that one.

As @KingstonsMom @says, it’s not just permanently cutting off their toe nails.  It’s cutting their toes to the first joint.  Like cutting off your fingers and toes to your knuckles.  It’s not just painful at the time of the procedure, it can remain painful throughout the cat’s life.  

It alters their normal behavior, which is scratching.  They can’t climb properly.  So, they may very well develop behavioral problems as a result.  They also can’t defend themselves if necessary.  Yes, people do let declawed cats outside at the mercy of any animals.

It can lead to health problems, like arthritis.  Most commonly, it also can cause a cat to refuse to use the litter box because it’s too painful for them.  So what happens in most of those cases?  The cats are dropped off at the pound because people don’t want to deal with cleaning up those messes.  Or an irritable cat who is that way because it’s in constant pain.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette   Many good points, thank you for that.

When I took my little fella to the vet to be neutered 4 years ago, they asked me if I also wanted him to be declawed.  I was surprised at that, since I had only scheduled for the neutering.  I guess it's common practice for some vets, but I also know there are others around here (Ohio) that won't do it.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@geezerette   Many good points, thank you for that.

When I took my little fella to the vet to be neutered 4 years ago, they asked me if I also wanted him to be declawed.  I was surprised at that, since I had only scheduled for the neutering.  I guess it's common practice for some vets, but I also know there are others around here (Ohio) that won't do it.

@2blonde 

Yes, I think it is common practice for some vets.  One here advertises it regularly.  When I first adopted my two cats, my vet never even suggested it, thank goodness.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Well, I am not a cat person at all.  However, which is better, to declaw a cat and give it a good home, or euthanize it?  I imagine there would be some pet parents who would not adopt a cat if they could not have that done.

When we were in Rome maybe 10? years ago, there were stray cats everywhere.  We went into a cat protection shelter/store and were told that it was against local government to fix the cats.  It had to do with the Italian "machoism."  

I just worry about Government over reach.  NY seems to lead the charge on that one.

@Puppy Lips 

I totally agree with your point about "officials" becoming too intrusive, but this is the exception and falls under the category of animal abuse. 

I wonder about the reason for declawing???? Do they value their furniture more than a cat?  Or are they afraid of getting scratched??? Maybe a cats not for them...

1.  Do they not want to invest in the time or money to buy a scratching post and training the cat how to use it?--I queston whether they even really want a cat and want to put forth the time and effort it requires to be a good pet parent and care giver...

2.Also, there's also another option...Soft Claws nail caps are a simple solution when pet scratching is a problem and a preferred alternative to declawing. They are easy to apply and do not interfere with the normal extension and retraction of cat's claws..

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister adopted a cat that had already been declawed and this was fully disclosed to her...But the cat had a lot of problems ...her vet said whoever did the procedure didnt even do it properly causing even more than normal issues. ....That poor cat suffered.. My sister shed a lot of tears for that cat...but with lots of love and good care the cat lived til she was 16 yrs old....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Puppy Lips. In my opinion it is inhumane. Pulling out someone’s fingernails must really hurt. Not sure if there would be people who wouldn’t adopt if they couldn’t. Keep your cats claws trimmed, just like humans, that’s what we do. 

I wouldn’t worry about Government over reach. Too late for that for reasons that can’t be mentioned.

I think I know what your referring to 😉.   Totally against declawing which I will list in detail about .

Esteemed Contributor

I never agree with Cuomo on anything , no I mean anything !   but this is the right thing to do .   I hsve to admit that many years ago we had a cat declawed ,  I really didn't know just what it entailed.  When I was a young child our cat was declawed cause my mother didn't want the furniture ruined.   When our cat developed arthritis I was to,d by our vet it was because of being declawed  I just felt sick that it was because of me declawing our sweet boy.   I then read about what it really was ,  I actually thought it was only taking out the nails,  the vet never told us what it really was about.  Our cat was strictly a indoor cat ,  but still I know as he got older  his legs and feet bothered him .   He was always very loved and well taken care of,  When we lost him it was devasting.  He lived a long life though.  We after awhile adopted 2 kittens, brothers and beileve me they hsve not been declawed and have runined many pieces of furniture when they were young .   We bought them cat trees with scratching posts and eventually stopped scratching places we didn't want them to.   Under no circumstances would I ever do that again.  I also tell others how horrible this practice is and what it really entails and have stopped others from doing it.  Some people just don't know like myself years ago 

Respected Contributor

First of all I wish all pet owner would have their pets spayed ...

This is good news ... the other good news that we got last

November is that dog racing will be banned in the state of

FL ... in 2020 ..Oh and I forgot about the shutting down of

Barnum and Bailey .....that was a big one for me too .....

Esteemed Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

First of all I wish all pet owner would have their pets spayed ...

This is good news ... the other good news that we got last

November is that dog racing will be banned in the state of

FL ... in 2020 ..Oh and I forgot about the shutting down of

Barnum and Bailey .....that was a big one for me too .....

@Big Joanie   Yay!   All good news for animals 😺