Honored Contributor

NY State Bans Cat Declawing!

New York has become the first American state to ban the 'cruel and painful procedure' of cat declawing.

Yesterday Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a bill outlawing the removal of felines' claws for cosmetic reasons with immediate effect. 

The legislation had been passed by the state assembly in June and will still permit the operation for medical reasons.

Cuomo said: 'Declawing is a cruel and painful procedure that can create physical and behavioral problems for helpless animals, and today it stops.

'By banning this archaic practice, we will ensure that animals are no longer subjected to these inhumane and unnecessary procedures.'

Declawing is an operation that involves the entire or partial amputation of bones in a cat's front feet.

The practice is common in the United States where pet owners often do it to stop themselves from being scratched or to protect their furniture.

But the New York bill says it can cause cats severe pain and psychological disorders and can also lead to the early onset of arthritis.

'Victory!' tweeted People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), an animal rights group, following the governor's announcement.

Declawing, formally known as onychectomy, is banned in most European countries including Britain and Switzerland.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7276401/New-York-state-country-BAN-cat-declawing.html

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: NY State Bans Cat Declawing!

YAY!!!HeartHeart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Yesterday Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a bill outlawing the removal of felines' claws for cosmetic reasons with immediate effect. 

Any one know what does "cosmetic reasons" mean?   It seems like a odd word to use in this context, but maybe I am missing something.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

Well, I am not a cat person at all.  However, which is better, to declaw a cat and give it a good home, or euthanize it?  I imagine there would be some pet parents who would not adopt a cat if they could not have that done.

When we were in Rome maybe 10? years ago, there were stray cats everywhere.  We went into a cat protection shelter/store and were told that it was against local government to fix the cats.  It had to do with the Italian "machoism."  

I just worry about Government over reach.  NY seems to lead the charge on that one.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Well, I am not a cat person at all.  However, which is better, to declaw a cat and give it a good home, or euthanize it?  I imagine there would be some pet parents who would not adopt a cat if they could not have that done.

When we were in Rome maybe 10? years ago, there were stray cats everywhere.  We went into a cat protection shelter/store and were told that it was against local government to fix the cats.  It had to do with the Italian "machoism."  

I just worry about Government over reach.  NY seems to lead the charge on that one.

@Puppy Lips. In my opinion it is inhumane. Pulling out someone’s fingernails must really hurt. Not sure if there would be people who wouldn’t adopt if they couldn’t. Keep your cats claws trimmed, just like humans, that’s what we do. 

I wouldn’t worry about Government over reach. Too late for that for reasons that can’t be mentioned.

Honored Contributor

Declawing isn't just pulling out their nails, they actually remove the last joint of bone, where the claw is attached to the bone.

'Cosmetic' means for no medical reason, other that protecting your furniture, etc.

Anyone that would mutilate a cat to protect their furniture, carpet, rugs, etc., shouldn't even own a cat nor adopt one.

Respected Contributor

I agree that cutting off the tips of a cat's toes is an awful thing to do to a cat.  I am a long time cat lover.  I've always been able to train my female cats to use other items for their natural scratching instincts (scratch pads, doormats, etc.), and I've been able to trim their claws as well.

Along came my current guy, Al.  I guess boys are different because he's a voracious scratcher, and he goes absolutely ballistic when I try to cut his claws (I mean he would rather kill me).  The furniture was a major target when I got him as a kitten over 4 years ago.  I now have scratch pads all over the freakin condo, and with much diligence (and frustration) I've finally managed to train him to use them instead of my furniture and carpeting.  We did battle, and I finally won the war.  We are good buddies now.

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

It's about time. 

Honored Contributor

That's why I don't own a cat. I don't want to do that. I'm not dealing with cats tearing up my furniture or climbing on my kitchen counters that I have seen in some homes. That's disgusting.

We bottle fed a couple of kittens that were left in the shed next door. I took them to the vet & found homes for them. DH wanted to keep them. I said no way. I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to cats since I get stopped up with itchy eyes & sneezing.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom  Personally I am a dogowner but the declawing of a cat is cruel.  I would think this would be equivalent to me having my dogs teeth pulled to prevent him from chewing up my shoes or toilet paper in the future.........