Honored Contributor

Along with everything going on with my Mom, Hospice, etc., Sadie seems to be going downhill. She’s having a few accidents in the house and we’re changing foods to hopefully find something to give her an appetite. Sadie stands in the center of the room looking around lost and begins to bark. Dementia, perhaps. She’s had her senior vet visit last week and her “vitals” are good. 

OMG. When it rains, it pours.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  I am so sorry to read this about Sadie.  I have read your posts about your mother with much sadness.  I know that Sadie is your special girl.  I had a dog with demetia that would stand in the corner staring at the wall.  I also had another dog who started peeing even as he was walking like he had no idea what he was doing.  It's very sad to see a dog get old.  

I hope you can find something to help Sadie.  The Vet could give you an appetite stimulant, but they usually take a little while to work.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

This may sound strange, but your dog's behavior is not unusual when you have a loved one ready to pass over.

They sense things we cannot.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

This may sound strange, but your dog's behavior is not unusual when you have a loved one ready to pass over.

They sense things we cannot.

@Carmie  I’m not sure whether Sadie’s aware of Mom’s condition, but both Sadie and Molly have been stuck to me like glue since Thanksgiving when this drama began. I know they sense MY stress and sadness. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus Your posts about your maman have made me sad revisiting what I went through with my beloved Maman.  I'm so sorry.  I wish I could say something magical to help, but I cannot.  Be gentle with yourself.  Regarding your Sadie, I'm sorry about this too.  As another poster stated, she might be sensing what is to come.  Hang in there, mon amie.  I'm sending lots of love & energy your way.

Trusted Contributor

Hoping Sadie will be well soon. Sending good thoughts your way.

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@Shanus Your posts about your maman have made me sad revisiting what I went through with my beloved Maman.  I'm so sorry.  I wish I could say something magical to help, but I cannot.  Be gentle with yourself.  Regarding your Sadie, I'm sorry about this too.  As another poster stated, she might be sensing what is to come.  Hang in there, mon amie.  I'm sending lots of love & energy your way.

@Misplaced Parisian Thanks so much for your support. It means a lot. ♥️

Esteemed Contributor

Sadie could be picking up on all the things going on and telling you she is aware of it. They are very perceptive.

My dogs are on Purina Salmon & rice for digestion & skin, the older dog was on the memory type Purina (Smart Blend) but they both seem fine on this. I would change food slowly not all at once.

Maybe extra attention if you have time will help. I know, when it rains it pours! So sorry things always happen all at once!

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

Sadie could be picking up on all the things going on and telling you she is aware of it. They are very perceptive.

My dogs are on Purina Salmon & rice for digestion & skin, the older dog was on the memory type Purina (Smart Blend) but they both seem fine on this. I would change food slowly not all at once.

Maybe extra attention if you have time will help. I know, when it rains it pours! So sorry things always happen all at once!

@1Snickers  Both beagles have been spending a few days a week at the kennel overnight ($$$) while I visit Mom and pack up her apartment. I’m sure their schedules are upset and don’t understand why they aren’t getting as much snuggling as usual.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

I really believe they do know when we are sad, and upset.  That plus the change in schedule & you being away some may be some of the problem.

Peace to you, Mom, and the Doggies.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras