Honored Contributor

@Shanus.  Indeed when it rains it pours.   There is medication available to help with incontinence.  Takes some trial and error to get the correct dosage.  Call your vet.  

I'm so sorry you have to go through sadness and strife.  Thank goodness you have good support.  We're all thinking of you.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus, it is certainly time that you had some good news.  It does sound like Sadie might be experiencing the onset of dementia.  You might just want to call your vet if her vitals are good and you did not previously discuss dementia.  However, sometimes it is just a passing thing.  I spoke to our vet about Happy when she seemed not realize where she was.  He suggested selegiline.  However, it was just a little episode because she is fine now.  I hope that it is the same for Sadie.  Sending good thoughts your way.  Hope your mom is doing as well as can be expected.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@Shanus

Sorry to read about your beloved dog Sadie ... and also your mom's condition.  Know that many here on these boards are thinking of you, and our wish is that one day soon your stress will turn to joy.   Hugs.

Respected Contributor

Shanus, has your vet ruled out a UTI as the cause of Sadie's accidents?  If she doesn't have an infection or stones, it may indeed be an early symptom of dementia.  Ask your vet about the drug trade named Anipryl, it is very effective for canine cognitive dysfunction.  I will keep your sweet Sadie in my prayers along with your Mom and your whole family.

Honored Contributor

Re: NOT SADIE, TOO!!

[ Edited ]

@Shanus  I hope that you are taking some quiet time for yourself during this challenging time.  I know my little guy is very aware of my current state and quick to reflect how I am feeling.  If I'm sad or upset, he is also.  Animals are so sensitive, especially if we have a close relationship.  I'm sure Sadie senses your stress or sadness. Can you find the time to maybe go for walks with Sadie.  It might be a reprieve for you, and some reassurance for your little girl.  I know you have a lot of weight at this time, much love to you, Sadie, and mom.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  This is such a trying time for you. Like other have mentioned, our pets are atuned to everything in our/their lives. The disruptions (going to the kennel and not having you home as usual) may be causing confusion for Sadie, as well. She's a sweet emotional part of your life and is feeling your angst. I have no great suggestions. Just extra love and TLC.  

Keeping all of you in my prayers. It is a rough, painful and long journey for the all concerned. Fortunately your mom is painfree and being cared for by professionals.  

We finally moved mom from Skilled Care to Pallative Care to Hospice, where she was given morphine. It helped hasten the process, which she requested. The transition was blissful after 14 years of caregiving for dementia and heart disease.

Society treats our pets better than our elderly when it comes to end-of-life. My heart is with you during this daunting time. Warm hugs. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Im sorry to hear all of this. Prayers to you. Hugs..

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

So very sorry for your troubles. Hope you get some peace soon.

Respected Contributor

Simply: ((HUGS))) and prayers to @Shanus

I've learned to handle life's unbelievable hardballs with humor.  Sometimes it helps, other times it's a stretch.  Hope I don't offend you with this.

My good Catholic Mom:  "Offer this up to the poor souls in purgatory."

Me:  "Well, they ain't cleaning my carpeting while II'm going through this, are they??!?!!"

Hang in there.

Denise
Honored Contributor

Re: NOT SADIE, TOO!!

[ Edited ]

I so appreciate your concern for my Sadie...along with Mom. It seems like I’m full of bad news.

Sadie has another appointment w/ the vet tomorrow morning. The kennel (both beagles will be there through Mon. while we’re clearing out Mom’s apartment) is right next door to the vet’s offices. She’ll receive another round of tests and this time, he’ll keep her with him, letting her follow him around for several hours to observe her behavior. Wow, what a novel idea! Maybe should have done that last time. Lol. 

Yes, he’ll check again for UTIs, signs of dementia, etc. Some symptoms in older dogs like licking their paws when in pain, holding their head against the wall, looking dazed/confused (as other wise posters have mentioned) do not appear in an half hour exam. 

Will keep you posted. Older dogs and puppies are always a mystery....I can usually figure out what’s going on after age one.

*By accident, we discovered Sadie loves plain, non-fat Greek yogurt. I’ve been mixing a drop into her food & so far she’s eager to finish her meals. I assume we’ll see no ill side effects.