Valued Contributor

Dr. Karen Becker, renowned veterinarian, has an article today on her website about the dangers of giving your dog antler chews. She says they can break teeth!! Worth a look at her findings.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: NO ANTLER CHEWS

[ Edited ]

My Cozi  loved thrm and I always figured they could break teeth.They are hard as a rock.

As he got older he chewed them less and less but still had to know where it was at all timed...lol

Actually, I saved his last one in his memory box.

I also worried about splinters from them, getting in his tummy.

Honored Contributor

@furbabylover   My Vet told me that.  I only bought them one time, and then my Vet told me not to use them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@furbabylover Thank you.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

Dr. Karen Becker, renowned veterinarian, has an article today on her website about the dangers of giving your dog antler chews. She says they can break teeth!! Worth a look at her findings.

Omigoodness, what a coincidence!!! I was looking at chews for my little adopted dog. The shelter estimated her age as six years old(they do the best they can) but the vet I took her to says she is at least seven or eight. I was looking online earlier this morning at antler chews and was going back to place an order. Thank you so much for posting this information!!! You saved my little sweetheart from potentially choking or worse.

Super Contributor

My Beau Jangles has two cracked teeth from rawhide chews. So I've been giving him Icelandic Wolfish Skins from Norway. I get them on Amazon. They are very expensive and very fishy smelling, but he loves them and they are safe. - Might be worth a try...

Honored Contributor

Like any dog chew....you must supervise and not let them chew for long periods of time. Put them up after a bit. Yes, they could crack a tooth. I  had heard that and just do-not let them chew them all the time.