Honored Contributor

A new doggie daycare opened in our area called the Green Beagle Lodge. Although it’s not just for beagles, the name was chosen because the owners & their son, who helps out, all own beagles. The “green” refers to its all natural approach to grass/soil, bottled water in their bowls, natural snacks, etc. 

All dogs must be first evaluated and forms filed w/ them including health issues, personality traits, “warnings” re: biting, rough play, etc. Also name of vet and proof of vaccines.

Molly (5 yr. old beagle) has been a few times and came home more socialized and exhausted, our aim. Sadie (13 yr. old beagle) went yesterday for the 1st time. We weren’t sure she’d play or socialize since her home schedule is nap, eat, poop, nap.

The owners send photos of each new “guest” on their 1st day. What? Sadie was initially placed in the older group that just “hang” w/ the supervisors in the kitchen area, many dog beds available for resting, but she wandered into the small dog group and actually spent the day walking around inspecting her fellow playmates. Great exercise and mental stimulation for her.

Anyone with an older dog who appears to be doing nothing, try a daycare in your area. We were amazed how Sadie came to life for the 8 hrs. Her emailed report & photos show her interacting.

They’ll both go 1 day a week (not inexpensive), but no doggie buddies in our neighborhood. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEW DOGGIE DAYCARE

[ Edited ]

@Shanus, so glad that this is working out for you.  Our Darcy always went to "school" when I was working.  When I retired, she stayed home with me and we did lots of things together.  When we got Happy, I started sending both of them to doggie daycare once or twice a week because Happy did not like riding in the car like Darcy did, so errands were out of the question.  Darcy always played with the puppies, even though she was a senior.  Happy played with Darcy.  Now that Darcy is gone, Happy does play, but not like she did before; but, she comes home tired and I know that she is being socialized every day that she is there.  

It is important to find the right one for your dogs and it sounds like you have done so.  I wanted a safe place for them and a group of people who loved them.  Our place adored Darcy and they love Happy, but not like Darcy.    She goes once or twice a week when I am in class and it is working out.  Not inexpensive but well worth the money.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirlwrote:

@Shanus, so glad that this is working out for you.  Our Darcy always went to "school" when I was working.  When I retired, she stayed home with me and we did lots of things together.  When we got Happy, I started sending both of them to doggie daycare once or twice a week because Happy did not like riding in the car like Darcy did, so errands were out of the question.  Darcy always played with the puppies, even though she was a senior.  Happy played with Darcy.  Now that Darcy is gone, Happy does play, but not like she did before; but, she comes home tired and I know that she is being socialized every day that she is there.  

It is important to find the right one for your dogs and it sounds like you have done so.  I wanted a safe place for them and a group of people who loved them.  Our place adored Darcy and they love Happy, but not like Darcy.    She goes once or twice a week when I am in class and it is working out.  Not inexpensive but well worth the money.

@SXMGirl  We’re in agreement. So sorry you lost Darcy & the remaining dog can get lonely, bored, lazy or in “trouble”. 

I work from home part time, but my studio is upstairs & no dogs allowed w/ dangerous tools, equipment and metal shards on the floor. I’m also in & out to the gym, errands, etc. (& putting human feelings on them), they seem to look at me as if I’m always setting the alarm and saying “See ya later”. I think daycare also teaches them independence and trust that I may drop them off, but always come back for them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus, Happy seems to like going, and it is important that she plays with other dogs.  I have watched the staff play ball with them and really wear them out.  Our doggie daycare has mandatory  nap time  from noon to 2 p.m.  Of course, the dogs have plenty of places to rest during the entire day.  

Happy misses Darcy so much.  Even at daycare, she always had to be touching Darcy.  It was really important to us that she continue going because she went into a depression when Darcy passed.  She is finally eating, but she still likes to sleep in Darcy's bed.

Darcy is the only dog or pet that I have ever had that when she passed, I got so many presents, including things engraved with her name.  She was one of a kind, even though we did not get her until she was a senior.  Her life had been many shelters, but people apparently saw something special in her.  We all miss her terribly.

Respected Contributor

Knowing my boys, my 3-1/2 year old would love it.  My 13 -1/2 year old would rather go to a kiddie daycare and play with the kids!

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirlwrote:

@Shanus, Happy seems to like going, and it is important that she plays with other dogs.  I have watched the staff play ball with them and really wear them out.  Our doggie daycare has mandatory  nap time  from noon to 2 p.m.  Of course, the dogs have plenty of places to rest during the entire day.  

Happy misses Darcy so much.  Even at daycare, she always had to be touching Darcy.  It was really important to us that she continue going because she went into a depression when Darcy passed.  She is finally eating, but she still likes to sleep in Darcy's bed.

Darcy is the only dog or pet that I have ever had that when she passed, I got so many presents, including things engraved with her name.  She was one of a kind, even though we did not get her until she was a senior.  Her life had been many shelters, but people apparently saw something special in her.  We all miss her terribly.

@SXMGirl Awwwh. I certainly can sympathize. I’ve had many beagles since I was a little girl & watched each cross over to rainbow bridge. The beagle we had before our older Sadie was Sophie....same breeder and distantly related. She had a marvelous personality, easy to train and sorely missed. We thought no other beagle could be in our hearts until we chose Sadie at 3 wks. & waited until she was 9 wks. old to pick her up. Five years ago, we added Molly (also same breeder) to put some pep in Sadie’s step. I’ve never had 2 dogs at the same time....lots of extra time and more money. I doubt if we’ll have another dog when Molly passes in 8-10 years. By then, I’ll be almost 79 and don’t think I’ll have the patience to work w/ another dog. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus, I decided a long time ago that we only foster/adopt seniors.   I like calm.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirlwrote:

@Shanus, I decided a long time ago that we only foster/adopt seniors.   I like calm.

@SXMGirl. I understand & support your decision. I enjoy the challenge of training a puppy (loads of experience) and this kennel only breeds show beagles so their temperament is wonderfully calm, nose following instincts are minimal and their coats are silky and easy to maintain. 

Within 6 wks. they are crate trained, walking on leash and only a few natural puppy problems left to correct. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus, we had a wonderful doggie day care about 1-1/2 miles from our house.  It sounds very similar to what you are describing.  They "interview" the candidates to make sure that they have the temperament to be in that kind of environment.  My beagle loved going there.  You could tell that the staff loved dogs and made sure that they all had a good workout, with sufficient rest periods.  My dog loved going there, and always had a good night's sleep at the end of the day.  She became very socialized to being around other dogs and adults, too!  Unfortunately, that placed closed.   

There are a number of different day care places in the area, but nothing compares!

Honored Contributor

@susan kaywrote:

@Shanus, we had a wonderful doggie day care about 1-1/2 miles from our house.  It sounds very similar to what you are describing.  They "interview" the candidates to make sure that they have the temperament to be in that kind of environment.  My beagle loved going there.  You could tell that the staff loved dogs and made sure that they all had a good workout, with sufficient rest periods.  My dog loved going there, and always had a good night's sleep at the end of the day.  She became very socialized to being around other dogs and adults, too!  Unfortunately, that placed closed.   

There are a number of different day care places in the area, but nothing compares!

@susan kay. Isn’t that always the case when you find somewhere or something you love? Closed or discontinued...the pits!