Honored Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH SENIOR DOG!

@qvc chick wrote:
The vet said it is old age. She is losing control of her bladder, etc. She is like 90 in human years. The situation is probably not going to change. And she is doing well enouogh, so I do not want to put her down! How could I live with myself? I am asking for suggestions!

You need a new vet.  It is very common for females that have been spayed to become incontinent as they age.  There is medication available that is very effective in controlling this.  It takes a little trial and error To get the dosage right but it works.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

At that age, even if you crate her, she's going to have an accident. 

When my dog was a little younger, on days when my Mom didn't sit him, I would make sure Max had his morning pee and poop before I left the house.  He was never one to munch on kibble during the day, so I'd leave his water and a couple of milk bones in case he wanted a snack.  As soon as I hit the door after work, out we went to pee.  He'd sleep most of the day so his next urge to poop didn't come until after dinner.  He would then pee and poop after dinner and I would make sure he had the opportunity to empty his bowels and bladder one more time before bed time.

I did this when I rented a flat and didn't have a yard.  We walked, alot. 

I don't know what your dog's eating schedule and don't know if she's a snacker.  She has to have water, but depending on what she nibbles on during the day, you may be able to adjust the schedule just a smidge to avoid poop.

Do you have anyone you can trust who could let her out during the day?  Do you work far from home?  If not, could you swing by at lunch to let her go potty?

These are the only ideas I got.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

My boy was fifteen when we knew it was time.   He had difficulty moving around but his mind was sharp.  He had become incontinent and we just did a lot of washing and cleaning.  On his last day surprisingly he was very agile.  We made our last trip together to the vet.   He was carried into the vet as he just seemed worn out.  I held him on my lap and talked to him as they administered the drugs.  His last loving move was to lift his head and give me a little kiss and my cheek.  I will always cherish my last loving moments we had.   Whatever time you have left together just cherish and do things together that are her favorites.  She has a loving home and this is something you can never regret or forget.   

Respected Contributor

@nagrom wrote:

My boy was fifteen when we knew it was time.   He had difficulty moving around but his mind was sharp.  He had become incontinent and we just did a lot of washing and cleaning.  On his last day surprisingly he was very agile.  We made our last trip together to the vet.   He was carried into the vet as he just seemed worn out.  I held him on my lap and talked to him as they administered the drugs.  His last loving move was to lift his head and give me a little kiss and my cheek.  I will always cherish my last loving moments we had.   Whatever time you have left together just cherish and do things together that are her favorites.  She has a loving home and this is something you can never regret or forget.   

***This brought tears to my eyes.  

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:
The vet said it is old age. She is losing control of her bladder, etc. She is like 90 in human years. The situation is probably not going to change. And she is doing well enouogh, so I do not want to put her down! How could I live with myself? I am asking for suggestions!

It comes down to her everyday quality-of-life;  can she still truly enjoy living as a dog should live...

Not only physically and cognitively, but - more importantly - emotionally and spiritually.

Most of us can totally empathize with you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

@qvc chick wrote:
Yes, I have. She does not have any medical conditions. As I have said, she is doing well for a 15 year old. She would be around 90 yrs old in human years.

----------------------------------------------------------

I just euthanized my dog 3 days ago.

I would suggest you go to a different vet.  Your dog needs a prognosis, and if your vet thinks peeing & pooping in the house isn't a sign of "something", then go somewhere else.  YOUR DOG IS TRYING to tell you something.

If you don't know where else to go, then check the reviews on YELP, and DO NOT, I repeat, do NOT go to a vet that has any bad reviews.  I took my dog to FOUR different vets until I finally found a good one who had all five star reviews.  Unfortunately, it was too late.  Once I started approaching $10,000, I had to call it quits.  Don't let yourself fall prey to bad veterinary care.  And let me tell you, there are a TON of bad vets out here.  The first four I'd been going to refilled a prescription for a drug numerous times that eventually killed her.  So, along with the vet's help, for 9 months, I participated in the murder of my dog..  Once the damage is done, it's done!  I cannot emphasze to you enuf, "Don't let yourself fall prey to bad veterinary care."

((( RR )))

I know how you feel, but I hope you can someday forgive yourself.

Like with anything else - and to paraphrase Maya Angelou - 'when we know better, we do better.'

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

From your earlier post, it seems you've been struggling with this for months.  I have had dogs with this problem, too, since I take in only older dogs and many of them do get to this point.  It's not fun for either you or for the dog.  

You've had some excellent suggestions, not the least of which is looking for another vet.  Yelp is your friend in this.

I ended up using a wire pen lined with waterproof material as the posters suggested.  

Unfortunately, if it does get to the point where the dog cannot get up to move around, the decision to let her go is closer than you might like.  Even if you were home all day at that point, it would be difficult.

I wish you the best and hope you find a solution that works for you and your dog.

:heart:

Honored Contributor

@Abby Grace wrote:

((hugs))RinaRina, we sent our beloved Gracie over the rainbow bridge a a few weeks ago.........we did it at home, and we held her as we sent her on her journey.

qvc chick, If the time comes to consider sending your beloved pet over the rainbow bridge, please consider doing it at home, in your loving arms.   I'd never heard of doing it at home until very recently. 

I edited for spelling becasue I don;t know how to spell check anymore....

((( Abby & family )))

:heart:

Just click on the "ABC/check mark" at the top.  8)

Honored Contributor

@Abby Grace wrote:

@mcall1020 wrote:

Abby

How do you manage this at home?  Will the vet give you some kind of medication to help? We are going through this with our 15 year old lab.  We want to keep her home also.

mcall 1020, We knew we were getting close, and had the discussion with out vet at her last visit.  My daughter mentioned that someone at work had just had a family member with a vet that came to their home.  We confirmed that our vet didn't make house calls, and we called the vet the other family used.  They wouldn't come to our home becasue we were too far away.  My daughter called every local vet, and we found one that came to our home.

The DR, and an aid came at a scheduled time. They called about 15 minutes before they arrived to allow us time to say goodbye.  We had already garthered the immediate family, and everyone had visited that day, or were present at the appointment.  Our baby was an Akita, and we were on the floor with her, holding her & cuddling her in our arms. We sang to her, as the DR administered the medications.   It was very peaceful, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Bless you & your beloved lab on the journey......

PS, edited to add I'm going to heart your post because I think that is the fastest way for you to see this post. 

Ahh... that was a lovely idea, as hearing is supposed to be the last sense to go, and the last sounds she heard were the voices of her beloved family.

Esteemed Contributor

@Abby Grace wrote:

@mcall1020 wrote:

Abby

How do you manage this at home?  Will the vet give you some kind of medication to help? We are going through this with our 15 year old lab.  We want to keep her home also.

mcall 1020, We knew we were getting close, and had the discussion with out vet at her last visit.  My daughter mentioned that someone at work had just had a family member with a vet that came to their home.  We confirmed that our vet didn't make house calls, and we called the vet the other family used.  They wouldn't come to our home becasue we were too far away.  My daughter called every local vet, and we found one that came to our home.

The DR, and an aid came at a scheduled time. They called about 15 minutes before they arrived to allow us time to say goodbye.  We had already garthered the immediate family, and everyone had visited that day, or were present at the appointment.  Our baby was an Akita, and we were on the floor with her, holding her & cuddling her in our arms. We sang to her, as the DR administered the medications.   It was very peaceful, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Bless you & your beloved lab on the journey......

PS, edited to add I'm going to heart your post because I think that is the fastest way for you to see this post. 

We have had to make this decision for 4 of our beloved friends.  The vet came to the house for 2 of them.  It was a very peaceful way to say good bye, lying with them on the floor holding them, telling them to go to the other dogs we have loved.  The vet helped my husband get them to the grave he had ready. The other two had to be taken to the vet because of timing.  We put them in our truck and I laid behind them in a spooning position.  It is only a road over where we had to drive them, but on the ride there, both dogs put their head over mine.  I have tears in my eyes writing about this now and one was 8 years ago and the other 15.  I think they were saying their good bye and telling me they loved me, knowing the end was near. The vet came out to our vehicle and performed the last act of love we could offer.  Both he and the assistant were crying with us.  From the day you bring that precious gift home to the day you say good bye, you have to accept it all, happy and sad.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!