Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH DOGS SCRATCHING MY FRONT DOOR!

I am guessing that they also scratch when the doorbell rings?

That sound can be the signal (for you also) to train them to always sit quietly and wait for a further commend.  Need a special word for sit and do not leave spot.  Not stay.  

There a training system which gives a dog a choice.  I have been the doorbell ringer for my DDs and DILs.  They always decide to be a good girl once they understand exactly what you wish.  Turn your back.  Kisses and treats reinforce.

Look for a trainer.

Once they are released to exit the door, it is my turn to train the puppy not to jump.  Just silently turn my back and it takes about four times before they realize I have kisses and treats if they walk around front and sit.

Esteemed Contributor

Okay - enough

A swat doesn't mean a beating nor a hit to an animal's head.

Ever spank your kid?   

It was a paper swing so the paper would rattle and on my dog's butt.

Have never hit an animal in the head...never

Trained dog #1 to ring bells on the exit doors also.

Super Contributor

I'm not sure I am communicating this correctly.....

I am OUTSIDE when the scratching happens.  They don't scratch the door when I am inside the house with them.

They are apparently excited when they know I am about to open door to come in.

So it's not something that I can train them for.  I am not in the house with them.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

I am OUTSIDE when the scratching happens.  They don't scratch the door when I am inside the house with them.

So it's not something that I can train them for.  I am not in the house with them.

If the end result you want is to have them sit quietly in front of the door to greet you and get kisses, break it down.  If they can hear the key, they can hear your voice.

Start by leaving without locking the door and wait until they lose interest. Then quietly enter and do ignore/back turn until they sit for your voice commend.  Then praise, kisses and treats.  No scolding.

Rinse and repeat.  They want to please, just need to learn how.  So does mama ❤️

I could not believe how good this works until I saw a dog being trained.

Honored Contributor

A CLAWGUARD...it hangs on the door knob/handle like this:

OriginalDoorshieldcoverimage_withUSABadge_a585a40d-defc-45a6-85f8-4d79059b37a3_800x.png

Trusted Contributor

The claw guard that an op mentioned sounds like a good idea, but I'd use it in conjunction with training; even if you're on the other side of the door when they're actually doing it. When you're on the same side of the door, I would point to where they're scratching & tell them "No". I would do this every time they did it in the hope that they'd eventually catch on; & when they do, reward/praise them. I've had my dog 10 years, & have trained him to do/not things very successfully that way. In 10 years, I've only hit him once-when he bit me while I attempted to clip his nails(the vet has done them ever since). He's never bit me since. I don't think corporal punishment is warranted or effective for lesser "offenses". Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

@qvc chick  You just use the air horn from outside at the same time you put the key in the door.  It will get their attention before they can scratch then when you go in give them treats.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@qvc chick   Whatever you do do not hit them with a newspaper or anything else!!  There are ways to train them positively.  Get something like an air horn and use that noise to distract them before or right after putting the key in and if they do not scratch have treats with you to give them.  Do this everytime you come home and even several times a day leave then come back repeating this.  Should work.

Also, you could try putting 2 baby gates together in a V shape around the door when leaving so they can't get close to it.  T

An air horn would get MY attention for sure...plus my all my neighbors' too....LOL!

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick   I don't have any suggestions.  I just wanted to say please do NOT hit or swat your dogs with newspaper or anything else.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

If there is room on the outside part of the door jam, you could get a tension-held baby gate and insert it in the doorway.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment