Honored Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH DOGS SCRATCHING MY FRONT DOOR!

@fthunt wrote:

Sounds like some 'training' is the answer.  You can cover everything with bubble wrap - or - set some standards for the animals.

Take a rolled up newspaper section and when they start to scratch - repeat NO NO NO and swat them with the paper.

I trained my dog not to go in the street with a just picked up piece of junk mail.  She got the message real fast...........avoided the street at all cost.

I wasn't delicate about the swats either.  Repeated it.

@fthunt.  Welcome to the 21st Century.  Thankfully we're  in an age where we no longer "train" or discipline animals by hitting them.  They trust us implicitly to not hurt them, so why in the world would you hit them?  I would break my dog's hearts if I ever struck them.  Please don't hit your dog again.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining. I bought this from Amazon to help with barking, but I have found that it works well for a few bad habits of both my dog and cats. Pawanti Dog Bark Control.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Okay - enough

A swat doesn't mean a beating nor a hit to an animal's head.

Ever spank your kid?   

It was a paper swing so the paper would rattle and on my dog's butt.

Have never hit an animal in the head...never

Trained dog #1 to ring bells on the exit doors also.

Yes, I've spanked kids and am now sorry I did so. What, though, did you mean by saying this: "I wasn't delicate about the swats either." How hard did you "swat" your dog?