Valued Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH DOG CHEWING FURNITURE

I couldn't resist this.....came on FB this morning ....

Capture.JPG

Siberian Husky Sled Dog Club of Northern IrelandLike Page

ATTENTION
So you want a Husky.........
Anyone thinking of getting a Husky, please do your research.
Unfortunately the country is full of Huskies needing new homes. Many people get huskies without prior knowledge of their specific needs and find they are just too much dog to handle.
They need lots of excercise, company, secure housing... as in a galvanised dog run.
They are a pack animal and don’t want to be left alone.
They will climb over, dig under, open gates, squeeze through the smallest
gap in wire fences and be very destructive if their needs are not met.
They like to HOWL
They blow their coats twice a year and there will be hair everywhere for weeks at a time.
They are a working dog and need to work.
They are very strong and many people find it difficult to walk them, having a high prey drive it's not recommended to let them off lead as they will run and run and run.
They live to approx 14 so it's a long term commitment. An aging dog may have health issues and need regular trips to the vet or expensive medication.
Please don’t get a husky then decide you don’t want him because:
He digs my garden,
He is too strong and hurts my back so I can’t walk him. He howls all day and the neighbours are complaining. We have had a baby and can’t keep him.
We have moved house and the landlord says no dogs. He keeps getting out of the yard.
He is wrecking the house when I’m at work.
I can’t cope with all the dog hair.
If after reading this you still want a husky then ask yourself, am I an active person who is willing to make the committment?
The country is full of huskies needing new permanent homes, so please remember them.
The Siberian Husky is an outgoing, intellegent, loving dog who deserves the best.
Please share this post on your page and help get the message out.

Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@MoonieBaby wrote:

TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER. Get a REPUTABLE trainer.

Consult a HUSKY rescue and ask for the best trainer in your area.

Breed specific rescues are in every state, you have no excuse not to reach out.

Husky's need to be exercised, a good long  & brisk walk every single day and perhaps a run in your yard IF you HAVE one...

Crating constantly is not kind, not useful. 

Constant crating is akin to hanging a piece of art on the wall - left to be ignored.

Please don't give up on this animal - it deserves a REAL CHANCE to SHINE.

@MoonieBaby I am not giving up on her and never will.  She is part of the family, a lot of fun, and we love her unconditionally.  She does get walked everyday.  We do have a big yard and toss the ball with her.  But our yard is not fenced, and she has run off to greet a neighbor or chase a squirell.  So we have to really be on the alert when we are out with her.

I did just go over to the doggie daycare to get information.  $24 a day is the rate.  I will have to suck it up and give that a try.  Thank you for your response.

@Puppy Lips,  how many days a week would you take your dog to daycare?  Since you said you have a big yard it seems to me that $24 a day would be better placed to fencing all or part of your yard.   In my area a standard chainlink fence installed runs less than $20 a linear foot.

An alternative would be something like this kennel (for a very reasonable price expansion panels are available and the space could be doubled):  tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stephens-pipe-steel-dog-kennel-10-ft-w-x-10-ft-l-x-6-ft-h?cm_vc=-10005

Sorry, I can't do a live link as that would be against the rules.  Similar kennels are available at other retailers.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@MoonieBaby wrote:

TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER. Get a REPUTABLE trainer.

Consult a HUSKY rescue and ask for the best trainer in your area.

Breed specific rescues are in every state, you have no excuse not to reach out.

Husky's need to be exercised, a good long  & brisk walk every single day and perhaps a run in your yard IF you HAVE one...

Crating constantly is not kind, not useful. 

Constant crating is akin to hanging a piece of art on the wall - left to be ignored.

Please don't give up on this animal - it deserves a REAL CHANCE to SHINE.

@MoonieBaby I am not giving up on her and never will.  She is part of the family, a lot of fun, and we love her unconditionally.  She does get walked everyday.  We do have a big yard and toss the ball with her.  But our yard is not fenced, and she has run off to greet a neighbor or chase a squirell.  So we have to really be on the alert when we are out with her.

I did just go over to the doggie daycare to get information.  $24 a day is the rate.  I will have to suck it up and give that a try.  Thank you for your response.

@Puppy Lips,  how many days a week would you take your dog to daycare?  Since you said you have a big yard it seems to me that $24 a day would be better placed to fencing all or part of your yard.   In my area a standard chainlink fence installed runs less than $20 a linear foot.

An alternative would be something like this kennel (for a very reasonable price expansion panels are available and the space could be doubled):  tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stephens-pipe-steel-dog-kennel-10-ft-w-x-10-ft-l-x-6-ft-h?cm_vc=-10005

Sorry, I can't do a live link as that would be against the rules.  Similar kennels are available at other retailers.

Simply installing a fence is not going to provide the mental and physical exercise this breed requires.  Owners need to invest the time into actively engaging the dog or pay for someone else to do it (daycare). 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I had a husky/shepherd mix and they love to chew and run. What I found with the two "chewers" that we've had is it's the scent of the stuffing that seems to make them select the item to chew. None of those sprays worked for me. What did work were: KONG toys (made in USA) both the toys and the toy treat holders. and antlers. Deer work best for strong chewers. It keeps them occupied for a long time.

I also had a cable run in the yard area where he could run around and burn off some of that energy while I cooked dinner. I could still see him and he was safe but he was getting more exercise. 

Hope one of these work for you.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Hello.  I have an almost two year old Husky female dog, about 40 lbs.  She was in a crate for a year.  Then we slowly started to let her be out while we were out of the house and at work.  For a few months, she was just fine.  Then a few weeks ago, she started to chew on our couch and loveseat.   She chews holes in the fabric and pull out stuffing.  She does not do it everyday, but it continues to be a problem.

These are old pieces of furniture that need to be replaced anyway, so I am not really upset about the furniture, but that obviously is not the point.  When we come home to find what she has done, we pull her to the area and scold her (yell), but do not spank her.  I do not know if that does any good because she may not connect her chewing to the scolding.

She has plenty of chew toys about the house.  We also give her as much exercise as we can (she has a lot of energy), but we can not spend all evening outside with her.  We also have an 8 year old dog that is there to keep her company, so I don't think this is an issue of being left alone.  I have used a bitter spray on the spots she has already chewed.  I am wondering if I should spray the whole couch and loveseat,and I don't even know how long that scent lasts.

Any advice would be helpful.  I would hate to start crating her again.

@Puppy Lips   Sounds like Molly, for sure. She tore apart our family room furniture. We kept her crated unless we were home to watch her. That way, when her beagle lips headed towards the upholstery, we could scold her or distract her. Definitely never left her alone loose to munch on the furniture while we were out. A lot of a dog’s chewing when left alone is anxiety, boredom, etc. I recommend lots of exercise and a watchful eye so you can offer correction for unacceptable behavior. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Simply installing a fence is not going to provide the mental and physical exercise this breed requires.  Owners need to invest the time into actively engaging the dog or pay for someone else to do it (daycare). 

No argument about the fence, I was suggesting the fence or kennel (preferably double sized) because OP stated that " We do have a big yard and toss the ball with her.  But our yard is not fenced, and she has run off to greet a neighbor or chase a squirell." which indicates that there is not enough exercise and stimulation to satisfy the dog's needs.  A fenced yard or kennel  would provide a safe place for both provided continued attention is paid to what the dog is doing so she doesn't just go over the fence.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@lilypadfrog wrote:

My 8 month old puppy would chew wood furniture.  Vet said it was anxiety and wanted to put her on meds.  I did not want to do that so I began leaving her an empty Amazon box when I left home.  She happily tore it up, played with the pieces then slept til I came home.  I set up a camera inside to doublecheck and it just showed a deliriously happy pup.  No more wood chewing.....as long as I have boxes lol.  So think outside the box!  (Sorry, I couldnt resist)

@lilypadfrog Wow, that is a good idea.  I have access to plenty of boxes at work.  Thank you, I think I will try that!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

I have always had pet dogs and cats (35 plus years).

I have never crated any of my dogs--I do not believe in it. 

Unfortunately, crating a dog for a long time may not allow a dog to properly learn about furniture.

I housebreak and newspaper train my dogs.  They can actually stay by themselves in my house for up to three days.  

Dogs need to chew--it is part of their nature. Puppies and bored dogs can be very destructive. (It is the same with cats and scratching.)

I buy very sturdy BIG Nylabones for them to constantly have access to at all times. They also have plenty of stuffed animals to tear apart.  Variety is important--a dog wants to have fun!

Spicy smell sprays can deter them, but must be used regularly.  That should not be a permanent solution, however.  A dog needs to learn what is "his" toy and what belongs to the owner.

Dogs and cats only know they have done wrong when you yell IMMEDIATELY after an action.

All my pets are my family and their welfare is a priority, but they also need to learn the rules of the house.

@FancyPhillyshopper She does have plenty of nyla bones and some of those rope toys.  Stuffed animals she destroys in hours and frankly I got tired of buying them. She would actually eat the material.  But maybe I need to get her some more of those.  Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Lots of different advice and stories here.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@CinNC wrote:

Your first Husky? Please contact somebody who is savvy about the breed. They are really high energy, LOVE to chew, and often have high prey drives and will not come when called. Cast iron stomachs when it comes to food and plastic. 

My BF has had several. Our current one - which he got before I moved in - was originally from a puppy mill. He was crate trained but hated it and chewed cords off electrial tools, the wooden lattice off the porch etc....I'm home with him all day now so that has stopped. He's dug out of the fence a few times and we've since reinforced it. All of this is typical for the breed. 

There is an excellent Facebook page for husky owners called Husky & Malamute Group by Snowdog Guru.  Very non-judegmental and lots of good advice. Best of luck w/your pooch.  They are a challenging breed. 

@CinNC She is a husky mix, and is actually our second one.  Our first one, named Indigo, died several years ago in my arms. She was also a rescue and we were not sure of her age when she passed, but she was at least 12.  She was beautiful.  All huskies and husky mixes are beautiful though.  Indigo did like to run, as does Luna, but she never chewed up furniture.  I will check out the facebook page.  Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

No argument about the fence, I was suggesting the fence or kennel (preferably double sized) because OP stated that " We do have a big yard and toss the ball with her.  But our yard is not fenced, and she has run off to greet a neighbor or chase a squirell." which indicates that there is not enough exercise and stimulation to satisfy the dog's needs.  A fenced yard or kennel  would provide a safe place for both provided continued attention is paid to what the dog is doing so she doesn't just go over the fence.

With the owner participating a fence will provide a safe place to play.  Unfortunately so many people think all they need is a fenced in yard. That the dog will self exercise.  We all know how boring that can get for us, just think of a dog that never leaves his yard.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.