Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH DOG CHEWING FURNITURE

@MoonieBaby wrote:

TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER. Get a REPUTABLE trainer.

Consult a HUSKY rescue and ask for the best trainer in your area.

Breed specific rescues are in every state, you have no excuse not to reach out.

Husky's need to be exercised, a good long  & brisk walk every single day and perhaps a run in your yard IF you HAVE one...

Crating constantly is not kind, not useful. 

Constant crating is akin to hanging a piece of art on the wall - left to be ignored.

Please don't give up on this animal - it deserves a REAL CHANCE to SHINE.

@MoonieBaby I am not giving up on her and never will.  She is part of the family, a lot of fun, and we love her unconditionally.  She does get walked everyday.  We do have a big yard and toss the ball with her.  But our yard is not fenced, and she has run off to greet a neighbor or chase a squirell.  So we have to really be on the alert when we are out with her.

I did just go over to the doggie daycare to get information.  $24 a day is the rate.  I will have to suck it up and give that a try.  Thank you for your response.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Puppy Lips 

Ignore that, it's par for the course in this response to your post, if you know what I mean.

Did you see the 'look of shame' when you scolded your pet for a bad behavior? I always have.

I've been owned by everything from horses to monkeys and everything in between and  I'm a certified trainer, so my opinion is based on that experience.

Nobody has to agree with me, just offering my advice.

Please share your certification.  Then we can determine your level of expertise.  Your opinions are not in line with the current research.

@CrazyDaisy 

No, to do so would be sharing personal information on a public forum, which I'm smart enough not to do.

For every "current research" out there that agrees with your position, there is an equal amount of "research" that says otherwise.

I have nothing to prove, feel free to believe whichever side of this 'theory' you choose to believe, it makes no difference to me. 

I don't need you or anyone else to "determine your (my) level of expertise".

It is what it is......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Puppy Lips 

Ignore that, it's par for the course in this response to your post, if you know what I mean.

Did you see the 'look of shame' when you scolded your pet for a bad behavior? I always have.

I've been owned by everything from horses to monkeys and everything in between and  I'm a certified trainer, so my opinion is based on that experience.

Please share your certification.  Then we can determine your level of expertise.  Your opinions are not in line with the current research.

@CrazyDaisy 

No, to do so would be sharing personal information on a public forum, which I'm smart enough not to do.

For every "current research" out there that agrees with your position, there is an equal amount of "research" that says otherwise.

I have nothing to prove, feel free to believe whichever side of this 'theory' you choose to believe, it makes no difference to me. 

It is what it is......

Hey, didn't ask for personal information just what certification you have.  You were the one who said you were a "certified trainer".  Lack of response says everything.

Just as an FYI to anyone looking for a certified trainer, highly recommend Certified Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT).  They have standards of knowledge through testing for certification and require continuing education to maintain certification.  They are very knowledgable on behavior issues and positive training methods.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Puppy Lips 

@CrazyDaisy 

It is what it is......

@KingstonsMom I did do a quick google search and found both sides supported.  So some do believe that dogs know what they did wrong, even after the "2 minute memory" they supposedly have.  I will continue to work with my dog to solve this issue.  Thanks again for your support and input.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips    My Jack Russell tore the living room sofa and chair. I sewed them up. Years later after he died I got another Jack and he chewed in the same places. Usually the skirts. He would toss his hall under them. Then pull & tear. 

When I got my next one I had bought a new sofa & chair AND a large wooden ornament al screen fence to block the living room off. The fences & gates keep them out. A scat mat did t work they walk around it. Pepper didn’t work. 

They have a dog door to a run size of a small yard. But the older one doesn’t chew any more thank goodness!

Maybe this in addition to the daycare will help.

Super Contributor

My 8 month old puppy would chew wood furniture.  Vet said it was anxiety and wanted to put her on meds.  I did not want to do that so I began leaving her an empty Amazon box when I left home.  She happily tore it up, played with the pieces then slept til I came home.  I set up a camera inside to doublecheck and it just showed a deliriously happy pup.  No more wood chewing.....as long as I have boxes lol.  So think outside the box!  (Sorry, I couldnt resist)

Respected Contributor

I have always had pet dogs and cats (35 plus years).

I have never crated any of my dogs--I do not believe in it. 

Unfortunately, crating a dog for a long time may not allow a dog to properly learn about furniture.

I housebreak and newspaper train my dogs.  They can actually stay by themselves in my house for up to three days.  

Dogs need to chew--it is part of their nature. Puppies and bored dogs can be very destructive. (It is the same with cats and scratching.)

I buy very sturdy BIG Nylabones for them to constantly have access to at all times. They also have plenty of stuffed animals to tear apart.  Variety is important--a dog wants to have fun!

Spicy smell sprays can deter them, but must be used regularly.  That should not be a permanent solution, however.  A dog needs to learn what is "his" toy and what belongs to the owner.

Dogs and cats only know they have done wrong when you yell IMMEDIATELY after an action.

All my pets are my family and their welfare is a priority, but they also need to learn the rules of the house.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your first Husky? Please contact somebody who is savvy about the breed. They are really high energy, LOVE to chew, and often have high prey drives and will not come when called. Cast iron stomachs when it comes to food and plastic. 

My BF has had several. Our current one - which he got before I moved in - was originally from a puppy mill. He was crate trained but hated it and chewed cords off electrial tools, the wooden lattice off the porch etc....I'm home with him all day now so that has stopped. He's dug out of the fence a few times and we've since reinforced it. All of this is typical for the breed. 

There is an excellent Facebook page for husky owners called Husky & Malamute Group by Snowdog Guru.  Very non-judegmental and lots of good advice. Best of luck w/your pooch.  They are a challenging breed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CinNC  LOL I had to laugh about Huskys & Malamutes digging out. We adopted a neighbors Malamute about 20 years ago. She was about 2 and had been let run wild. 

The dog catcher was going to take her so we opted to take her and built a 10 foot fenced pen with wire buried. She could dig out in 10 minutes. The only solution was an electric wire. She would listen and when it was off dig out. She passed two obedience courses perfectly, but would run from thunder.

I can’t imagine her inside, but my Granddaughter has a Husky that’s inside and not a problem, but crated if they are away.

Respected Contributor

@puppylips

I tend to ask myself if what I am doing is working. When it isn’t I try to analyze why and decide what to change. I read where you are giving him exercise. You may want to try getting up earlier so you can take him out to potty and then a solid 20 minute walk on days you have to leave him at home. You would repeat this in the evening. For the walk I am talking about active walking without stopping to sniff.

Do you throw the ball enough to wear him out?

I also would try to keep him from the room with the sofa by using closed doors or gates. Only let him in that room when he is supervised.

You have gotten some good suggestions.

doxie