Honored Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH DOG CHEWING FURNITURE

CrazyDaisy's suggestions are good and also the suggestion for Doggy Daycare.  I just wanted to reiterate that yelling is not doing any good at all.  The dog doesn't associate the yelling with what he has done.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@Puppy Lips  Saturday mornings on CBS around 10pm central time,there is a show called Lucky Dog. A fellow by the name of Brandon will take a dog out of a shelter,train it and give it a loving home He addresses chewing in his show when it's a problem.Maybe he has a book you can access. A trainer may be able to help too. I have cats so I don't have much advice to offer.

I feel  your pain as it is always daunting trying to figure out why our pets do what they do. 

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Our American Bull dog naps in his large crate with his toys during the day.  His nap patterns continue when we are home, so I'm sure he needs them.  He also sleeps in the crate over night.

He does get loads of exercise daily since we live in woods.

You may have to confine her and leave the tv on.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Hello.  I have an almost two year old Husky female dog, about 40 lbs.  She was in a crate for a year.  Then we slowly started to let her be out while we were out of the house and at work.  For a few months, she was just fine.  Then a few weeks ago, she started to chew on our couch and loveseat.   She chews holes in the fabric and pull out stuffing.  She does not do it everyday, but it continues to be a problem.

These are old pieces of furniture that need to be replaced anyway, so I am not really upset about the furniture, but that obviously is not the point.  When we come home to find what she has done, we pull her to the area and scold her (yell), but do not spank her.  I do not know if that does any good because she may not connect her chewing to the scolding.

She has plenty of chew toys about the house.  We also give her as much exercise as we can (she has a lot of energy), but we can not spend all evening outside with her.  We also have an 8 year old dog that is there to keep her company, so I don't think this is an issue of being left alone.  I have used a bitter spray on the spots she has already chewed.  I am wondering if I should spray the whole couch and loveseat,and I don't even know how long that scent lasts.

Any advice would be helpful.  I would hate to start crating her again.

There are so many things wrong with what you are doing, I would suggest finding a good trainer in your area that understand dog behavior.. 

@CrazyDaisy Perhaps you could elaborate on the "so many thing" I am doing wrong.  Maybe I should not scold her.  But what else are you referring to?

@Puppy Lips 

I don't think you're doing anything "wrong", when you lead a dog to something destructive that they've done and scold them, they know what they did wrong.

Dogs are much smarter than many people think/realize, IMO.

A common cause of destructive behavior, especially if it occurs only when they're left alone, is indicative of 'separation anxiety' and boredom.

You just have to find what will work for your dog. Google 'separation anxiety' and start by trying some of the tips you find, especially on vet based sites, is my suggestion.

Good luck to you and your fur baby!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Hello.  I have an almost two year old Husky female dog, about 40 lbs.  She was in a crate for a year.  Then we slowly started to let her be out while we were out of the house and at work.  For a few months, she was just fine.  Then a few weeks ago, she started to chew on our couch and loveseat.   She chews holes in the fabric and pull out stuffing.  She does not do it everyday, but it continues to be a problem.

These are old pieces of furniture that need to be replaced anyway, so I am not really upset about the furniture, but that obviously is not the point.  When we come home to find what she has done, we pull her to the area and scold her (yell), but do not spank her.  I do not know if that does any good because she may not connect her chewing to the scolding.

She has plenty of chew toys about the house.  We also give her as much exercise as we can (she has a lot of energy), but we can not spend all evening outside with her.  We also have an 8 year old dog that is there to keep her company, so I don't think this is an issue of being left alone.  I have used a bitter spray on the spots she has already chewed.  I am wondering if I should spray the whole couch and loveseat,and I don't even know how long that scent lasts.

There are so many things wrong with what you are doing, I would suggest finding a good trainer in your area that understand dog behavior.. 

@CrazyDaisy Perhaps you could elaborate on the "so many thing" I am doing wrong.  Maybe I should not scold her.  But what else are you referring to?

@Puppy Lips 

I don't think you're doing anything "wrong", when you lead a dog to something destructive that they've done and scold them, they know what they did wrong.

A common cause of destructive behavior, especially if it occurs only when they're left alone, is indicative of 'separation anxiety' and boredom.

You just have to find what will work for your dog. Google 'separation anxiety' and start by trying some of the tips you find, especially on vet based sites, is my suggestion.

@KingstonsMom Thank you.  That is what I tend to think too.  I do think she knows what she did wrong.  I always hesitate to post on this forum because I occassionaly get responses like the one above which just start out to slam me.  Maybe I am too sensitive about that.  But nonetheless, thank you for your response and suggestions.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER. Get a REPUTABLE trainer.

Consult a HUSKY rescue and ask for the best trainer in your area.

Breed specific rescues are in every state, you have no excuse not to reach out.

Husky's need to be exercised, a good long  & brisk walk every single day and perhaps a run in your yard IF you HAVE one...

Crating constantly is not kind, not useful. 

Constant crating is akin to hanging a piece of art on the wall - left to be ignored.

Please don't give up on this animal - it deserves a REAL CHANCE to SHINE.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Puppy Lips 

Simply not true.  Numerious studies have estimated that dogs short term memory is only about 2 minutes.  The "guilty" look you may get is them picking up on your mood.  They do not have the capacity of associating a behavior that occured hours ago with your mood now.  If not associated with food or survival, chances are is quickly forgotten.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips 

Ignore that, it's par for the course in this response to your post, if you know what I mean.

Did you see the 'look of shame' when you scolded your pet for a bad behavior? I always have.

I've been owned by everything from horses to monkeys and everything in between and  I'm a certified trainer, so my opinion is based on that experience.

Nobody has to agree with me, just offering my advice.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips  Just Google "Do dogs know what they did wrong when you yell at them."  I got about ten different answers that all said not to yell at your dog.  It confuses them and stresses them out.  I'm not trying to argue with IG, just want you to do research for yourself.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Puppy Lips 

Ignore that, it's par for the course in this response to your post, if you know what I mean.

Did you see the 'look of shame' when you scolded your pet for a bad behavior? I always have.

I've been owned by everything from horses to monkeys and everything in between and  I'm a certified trainer, so my opinion is based on that experience.

Nobody has to agree with me, just offering my advice.

Please share your certification.  Then we can determine your level of expertise.  Your opinions are not in line with the current research.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.