Honored Contributor

I had a canvas cat carrier with nylon zippers.  The darn zipper split open and my Bogey jumped out in a parking lot and hid under a car....   he was trying to climb up into the motor of someone's parked car!   

What a shock, and it was difficult getting him out and back in the carrier, and getting him home.

Well, I don't trust nylon zippers anymore, but need to get a new carrier.  I was using a friend's carrier after her kitty died, and she's getting a new one and needs it back.

So ............   Can you tell me your experience .... what you like or don't like?   If you have a hard plastic one, what are the pros and cons?

I know people here have lots of knowledge & experience, so I thank you in advance!   

Smiling cat face with heart eyes     Smiling cat face with heart eyes    Smiling cat face with heart eyes

Honored Contributor

Re: NEED FEEDBACK: Pet Carriers

I have the hard plastic carrier.

PROS:  Metal lock - NO zippers

CONS:  None

========

I use to have a canvas carrier.   Until one day while in the back seat of my car, Houdini used his head to move the zipper, jumped out, found himself in the drivers side of the car running over my feet, jaw clamped on my ankle while on the accelerater.

As I was having a heart attack, I pulled over on a busy highway, grabbed Houdini by the scruff of his neck (in my mind I was going to throw him out the window) & threw him back into the bag & into the trunk.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I have the hard carriers with a top and front opening. Never had an issue. Just make sure the doors are shut tight. They can be a bit heavy and awkward sometimes. 

Esteemed Contributor

Small dog owner here; hard carrier, no other choice!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have both: hard and soft carriers.  I use a different one for each of my cats.

One cat is docile inside, so he gets the soft sided.  No problems, and it's easy for me to carry and get him in and out at the vet.

The other cat hates to be enclosed and ride in the car.  He generally gets the hard carrier.  No problems for him, although sometimes we have to take the top off at the vet if he refuses to get out through the door.  But it's awkward and heavier for me since I have back problems.  So, I only use it when I need to.  Since he has been getting older, he seems to be accepting the carrier easier so I've been trying the soft sided with him as well.

If your cat fights the carrier, I'd definitely recommend a hard sided one.  As with all others, make sure it's big enough for the cat to fit.  Naturally, the hard sided is going to be heavier right off the bat, so do take into consideration how heavy it will be with a struggling cat inside.  That was my only problem with the hard sided carrier.  And also get one that is good quality or it may give out on you too.  I would also suggest one that the top comes off or has an additional door on the top as well as in the front.

Happy shopping!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  We always had cats and always had a hard plastic carrier.   They last forever and are easy to clean after use.  One of our cats used to get sick in the car so that was our only option.   Good luck Smiley Happy

@Mz iMac   OMG!!!  What a frightening experience that must have been.

Honored Contributor

I had a canvas one that opened in the vets parking lot.  I was so scared because the vet was on a very busy road.  Luckily, my cat was easily caught.  Hard case is best for security.  

Honored Contributor

@geezerette   My senior cat is a 20 pounder.  Going to the vet or kennel, I use a luggage cart.  Folds up nicely in the back seat & trunk.  I never leave home w/o it.

proxy-image.jpg

proxy-image-1.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

I had a cheap hard sided carrier that I inherited. It worked fine if it was supported by the bottom, but if you grabbed it by the handle on top, the top and the bottom separated. Knowing that, I thought it was ok for me to use, but even when I'd explain, the vet techs would just grab it by the handle when it was time to go, and I decided it was just too risky to use at all. So, inspect any carrier for sturdiness before purchase!

Honored Contributor

I have a Sherpa bag that zips in the front and on top.  I like it because it has straps to put the seatbelt through.  I only use it once a year when taking Henry to the Vet.  You all have made me afraid he might be able to get out of it somehow.  

Now I'm wondering if I should use a plastic one.  I don't think it would be as safe in the car though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau