Honored Contributor

My two dogs and Halloween

[ Edited ]

One  reason I dread trick or treaters is that my dogs go nuts  each time  the kids  go clumping up the front steps and knocking on the door.... EACH TIME. 

I do put  the dogs on the other side of the house as far away from the front door as possible and turn the TV up some to direct their hearing away from the  front door goings on... but, they still manage to get all riled up.  They just know they are missing something good....

Any of you deal with the dog commotion like I do?  

Honored Contributor

Re: My two dogs and Halloween

I had 2 labs, they were very well behaved and loved Trick or Treaters, they would beat me to the door but not be out of control.    They loved the kids.

Esteemed Contributor

When I had a dog I called "H" night - headache night.  Dog barking - doorbell ringing - kids screaming and showing up with bloody knife sticking out their eyeball masks.  When husband got ill and couldn't give out the candy anymore............I quit the whole dumb event.  Kids can go to the firehouse - the school gym and have a party and stop running through my gardens in the dark.  I say....if you don't enjoy the "H" visitors - quit, no law says you have to do it.

Amen

Respected Contributor

I have the same issues.  My dogs get excited, then when I open the door to give out candy the little boogers sneak out the door and down the driveway to go play with the kids.  I just don't like the ruckus any more.  I put in my years.  So I close the gates, turn off the lights, and take the dogs down to the TV room and watch TV.  There are plenty of activities to entertain the kids and they won't miss my piece of candy.  I think I already ate it anyway.

Honored Contributor

The last two years that I bought candy I had no trick-or-treaters at all.  The past couple of years I just haven't turned my light on and haven't heard any trick-or-treaters go down the street.

This year I have kids playing right across from my house, so I bought candy in case they go around the neighborhood.  Now I'm debating about whether to participate.  Frankie, my dog, would love it.  I would have to put Henry, my kitten, up the entire time and not sure I want to do that for a couple of hours.  I'm still undecided.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Ditto on the dog thing. Poodle hates anyone who comes to the door, he charges at it which is not good because it's a 100yr old heavy oak frame with one huge beveled pane of glass - GOOD thing it's old thick glass.

Poodle is for sure the worst of any dogs we've had with interruptions at the door.

I stopped this giving of candy and cavities to kids some years ago. Their parents thank me but DH thinks I'm a stick in the mud.  We don't live in  conventional neighborhood with children, instead we're sprinkled in a college campus 1/2 double houses filled with college aged kids.  No one comes here so I close the drapes, leave the front porch light off, no candy around that I have to eat.

This works for me.

Honored Contributor

Cats need to be put up for sure, especially black cats.

Honored Contributor

I agree with most of your posts.... to just do not do the trick or treat THING anymore.... But, my husband loves to interact with the kids....so we give out treats.....  Thankfully we get less and less treaters anymore

Trusted Contributor

My dog does the same thing! He's exhausted when trick-or-treating's over!

Honored Contributor

Our dog always barks like crazy when someone comes to the door. So that is why this year, my husband sat outside with the dog to give out candy. It worked out well. The dog seemed to enjoy it and the kids loved it. Many wanted to pet the dog and could care less about the candy.