Valued Contributor

Re: My sweet cat Tigger had two seizures today

@newjersey I am relieved to hear the news about Tigger. You will be fine giving him his insulin. You will have every bit of strength you need to get you and Tigger through this. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

@newjersey wrote:

@candys mine, she is at the vet's still.   Vet said she started Tigger on insulin this morning. I pick her up Tuesday.   I'm on a budget and am online all morning trying to find out the cost for different insulins.   The prices are a lot for me.    I DID read (don't know if it's correct) that generic insulin works just as well as the regular kind.  I'll ask the vet on Tuesday.    I truly hope she is correct when she says she feels the insulin will stop the seizures.

She won't need much insulin.  A vial should last you a while.  Make sure you ask the Vet what size needles to get.  You can buy them very cheaply at Walmart and probably many other pharmacies.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack, how do you know she won't need much insulin?  Just curious..

Honored Contributor

@newjersey wrote:

When I fostered an 18 lb. dog he had terribly unmanaged diabetes.  We had to increase his dose drastically a little at a time before it was manageable.  Even when it was stabilized it wasn't much insulin.  This was a long time ago, so I don't remember how long a vial lasted but it was a while.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@newjersey wrote:

When I fostered an 18 lb. dog he had terribly unmanaged diabetes.  We had to increase his dose drastically a little at a time before it was manageable.  Even when it was stabilized it wasn't much insulin.  This was a long time ago, so I don't remember how long a vial lasted but it was a while.

Also wanted to add that insulin only stays good for a month after you've used it once.  You keep it in the refrigerator.  Rub the needle between your hands to warm it up before you inject Tigger.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@newjersey wrote:

Also wanted to add that insulin only stays good for a month after you've used it once.  You keep it in the refrigerator.  Rub the needle between your hands to warm it up before you inject Tigger.

Sorry for adding more posts.  I didn't want to edit this in case you'd already read it.  I just Googled how long does insulin last for cats.  I read that as long as it's refrigerated it will last for 3 or 4 months.  That's just not what I remembered.  I would definitely ask the Vet or the pharmacist, but it may last a lot longer than the month that I said earlier.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@newjerseyCall the Vet and ask them what kind of insulin and what size syringes  are they using on Tigger.  Stick with the one they are useing.  (Also ask how she's responded to it through the weekend.)  Get prices for that spicific kind at various pharmacies.  Try Costco pharmacy too.  I don't know if your Vet will be able to sell you the Vials of insulin and the boxes of needles or if they could call the scripts in to a pharmacy for you.  It's easier to get that squared away before your instruction appointment.  Also ask how you are to dispose of the used syringes.  They will go over everything at your appointment but it always helps to be ready with questions beforehand.  Many cats do very well with the insulin therapy. 

Honored Contributor

@newjersey wrote:

Got results. Tigger has diabetes.  Vet said I will give her insulin shots twice a day and bring her back in two weeks to see if dose needs adjusting. How I'm gonna get through giving her needles I don't know.   Vet felt seizures were caused by diabetes and that once Tig gets insulin, the seizures should stop.   Thank you for all the replies.   I appreciate them.

Dear turquoiselover, I had a black lab mix that began to drink large amounts of water and she was diagnosed with diabetes.  I gave her two insulin shots a day, one with each meal.  They taught me where and how to give the shots.  Didn't think I could do it but I had to for her health.  The diabetes caused her to go blind in very short time.  Please don't hate me, Tigger may not go blind, but please discuss it with the vet so you will know everything to watch for during his new medecine.  I will be praying for Tigger and you, may you have a long time together, love SC

Honored Contributor

They will give you a persctiption for the insulin and the boxes of needles.  The needles are very tiny, not thick.  Keep insulin refridgerated.  Do call around for the best price on the insulin.  It was expensive for me but somehow it just blended in with my budget and I managed just fine.  In fact, I went ahead and got eye surgery for Sugars, my lab mix, and she was able to see again.  There is nothing that I wouldn't do to take care of my dog children.  You will be just fine!

Trusted Contributor

Did anyone on here have a cat that had seizures due to diabetes and if so, how is your cat doing?