Honored Contributor

Re: My sweet cat Tigger had two seizures today

@NickNack wrote:

I am so sorry to read about Tigger's seizures.  I hope the Vet finds out what's wrong and it's easily treatable.

I just wanted to add to my previous post.  Please let us know what the Vet said when you get the results.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@newjerseyA hug to you in the midst of your worry and uncertainty.  Seizures are scary things to watch but you can be just a bit comforted in that the cat dosen't feel any of that.  It's like a short circut in the brain and he's not mentally connected to the actions going on. You have done all you can getting Tigger to the Vets where they can monitor and deal with any more seizures he may have while awaiting news of the tests.  My heartfelt prayers are going up for Tigger that he may remain with you a while longer.

Honored Contributor

Soft huggins and butterfly kisses to Tigger and blessings to tourquiselover for strength that she needs at this time.  He'll be home from the vet's soon and you will be able to love him up....Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gracies Mom wrote:

Will be praying to St Francis for your beloved Tigger!! Hope the vet doesn't find anything serious.

Give Tigger LOTS of hugs and love---cherish him!!

Lost my dog Gracie 12 days ago to cancer----she was almost 14---am having a tough time moving forward--missing her so much!!

God Bless!

GraciesMommy

GraciesMommy, my heart reaches out to you.  Sending you comforting hugs, love SC

Trusted Contributor

Got results. Tigger has diabetes.  Vet said I will give her insulin shots twice a day and bring her back in two weeks to see if dose needs adjusting. How I'm gonna get through giving her needles I don't know.   Vet felt seizures were caused by diabetes and that once Tig gets insulin, the seizures should stop.   Thank you for all the replies.   I appreciate them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newjersey  I'm happy to read the encouraging news.  I know the thought of giving your little Tigger insulin injections seems overwhelming and intimidating right now.

Quick story, I promise it's ties to the subject at hand:

Several years ago, just as I went to bed around 11:30 at night, I heard something thud on my concrete patio in the backyard.  I looked out of my kitchen window and saw that something had flipped the concrete bowl of the bird bath upside down (off of the pedestal).  The bowl had a fluted edge so when I went outside and flipped the patio light on and squatted down, I could see a pinkish white tail  under the lid.  I could feel my heart pounding as I wondered what it was and what to do. What if the animal in there was hurt?  Who would I call for help?  It was almost midnight - who in the heck could help me at this time of night?

That's when I had an epiphany - I was more afraid for it, than I was of it.

I took a long handled shovel, lifted the edge of the bird bath bowl and freed a small possum.  The little one was not hurt and I was relieved.

You will find the ability to give Tigger the injection because your love for Tigger will outweigh any fear you have.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I'm sorry she has diabetes, but that's more manageable than some diseases could be.  I fostered a dog once with diabetes, and giving him the shots wasn't bad at all.  I realize cats are more squirmy (I have one) and it would be more difficult.  They'll show you how to do it at the Vet's office, but making the pocket is important.  Make sure you don't stick the needle in one side and then out the other side not getting to the cat.  I did that at least once before I got the hang of it.

I hope it goes well and Tigger gets better.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@newjerseySo, is Tigger home or has she all ready been started on her insulin dose at the Vets? So much the better if she has.  Please don't worry too much about giving the insulin.  They will show you how.  Remember, INEXPERIANCE is NOT INABILITY! Take a deep breath and ask questions if you don't understand what they're saying.  It helps them to help you. Really, they'd LIKE you to ask. Tigger probably will need to have her dose tweeked so don't feel like Team Tigger is not making progress.  I hope Tigger's feeling better. 

Trusted Contributor

@candys mine, she is at the vet's still.   Vet said she started Tigger on insulin this morning. I pick her up Tuesday.   I'm on a budget and am online all morning trying to find out the cost for different insulins.   The prices are a lot for me.    I DID read (don't know if it's correct) that generic insulin works just as well as the regular kind.  I'll ask the vet on Tuesday.    I truly hope she is correct when she says she feels the insulin will stop the seizures.

Respected Contributor

I am hoping that everything goes well for Tigger and you.

doxie