Valued Contributor

I haven't posted on this forum for a long time, but I feel like you will all understand here. My sweet Bentley, a rescue beagle/border collie mix passed away on his own little beddie on June 15th surrounded by my husband, his dog-brother Charlie and me. 

In February I noticed a walnut-sized lump on his neck while petting him. He had thick fur around his neck so I never saw it. I took him for a CT scan, and it was hemangiosarcoma which had metastasized to his lungs and another spot under his front leg on his chest. The prognosis was grim, so we decided to just give him the best life he had left. After a few weeks we put him on gabapentin and he had a great run of about 2.5 months. He was even chasing a ball outside a few weeks ago. But Saturday, the 15th he stopped eating.....could no longer swallow. The growth had pushed in to his neck, and he was also having labored breathing. We decided it was time. We found a vet that came to the house. It was the best thing we ever did  -- both for him to be relaxed in his own home, on his own bed, and for our other dog Charlie who will never make the association of losing his best friend at the vet. Charlie seemed to understand the whole thing, and it was so peaceful for Bentley. 

My heart is broken. Charlie is lost without his friend. (I took him to daycare for the first time today to give him some fun time.) My husband is also heartbroken. Bentley was an awesome guy. We will miss him forever. RIP my sweet boy. IMG_1053.JPG1Bent.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My sweet Bentley....R.I.P.

@BriggsiePeawiggle 

Tears for you and your sweet, devoted Bentley.  He was a very handsome boy.

So sorry you are going through this.

We all know your pain, but that never makes it easier. I'm glad you were able to say goodbye at home. This is always my preference.

Honored Contributor

I read your fiirst paragraph and the tears came to my eyes.  All of us who have had pets grieve when they pass and as we all say it is like losing a part of our family.  As each pet leaves us it is never easier than the last.  

I am sorry for your loss of your Bentley and hope time will heal the pain in your heart and bring you peace.  

Frequent Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I have tears in my eyes reading your post.  It sounds like he had a great life and you gave him the best possible 'end of life' given the circumstances.  Hope you, your husband, and Charlie find some peace in the coming days.Heart

Respected Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle   Oh, that sweet face brought me to tears.....really.  Having said that, let me add that I'm glad you decided to return to your friends here on the boards to share your grief.  We are happy to do that if only it can lift you up just a little.  Poor Bentley.  It's undeniably sad that he had to go before his time, but I praise you and your family for making it as pleasant for him as was humanly possible.  Cat Sad

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

I am so very sorry.  What a handsome fellow.  I'll bet those ears were soft to pet.  They look just like velvet.  Hugs to you, your DH and Charlie.

Respected Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle  I'm so sorry for your loss...like most of us here, I've been through it a number of times myself. It never gets any easier! What a beautiful boy Bentley was, such soulful eyes. Those eyes are pain-free now, looking around the Rainbow Bridge and he's thinking "Oh boy! What a great place to wait for my people!". All of our furry family members that have gone before have made him welcome and showed him around.

It's so good that you were able to get a vet to come to the house. We don't have that option where I live, and I so wish we did.

Grieve all you need to, love on Charlie a lot, and maybe sometime another sweet soul will join your family.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BriggsiePeawiggle 

Sweet Bentley: So very fortunate having experienced your love. Believe with all my heart and soul you will meet again. Prayers for your healing. 🙏💐

3613914_62413.gif

Respected Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle , you gave Bentley a great life filled with love and happiness.  He is out of pain and at peace now.  Charlie will miss his brother, but all of you will be together again some day.  There is nothing greater than the love of a fur baby.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle      Bentley was so beautiful.... I am so so sorry for your loss. Yes, using a mobil vet is the best  for this situation... we used a mobil vet on a very sick dog and  I would never go back to taking our loved pets to the vet for this reason. 

Hugs Hugs and more hugs sent your way.