Honored Contributor

For about the past two weeks, people in the neighborhoods around where I live have been setting off fireworks illegally very late at night.  Everyone with pets have been complaining and calling the police.

Tonight it has started early and been going strong for hours.  My eight month old puppy has been going crazy with anxiety over this.  She is so upset that she bit my DH and drew blood when he tried to comfort her.  She has been crying and barking for hours and when she is on my sofa, she tries to dig.  I can't let her up there, or she will ruin the upholstery.

I have one of those plug ins to help reduce anxiety in dogs, but it is not working.  I can't wait for tonight to be over with, but I am sure it will be happening for the rest of the summer.

Some people can be so inconsiderate.  I hope everyone's else pets are doing okay tonight.

Honored Contributor

Re: My puppy hates fireworks

Poor things.  I am sitting for my daughter's dog and she is having back problems. I have to carry her down the stairs to go relieve herself, but she won't even go outside.  I am having my own back problems.  I shouldn't have taken her but I felt bad for my daughter.  I didn't say anything to her.  She really needed a break from her work and from the dog.

I can't wait till it's over.  I used to have a dog that would shake something awful.  

Honored Contributor

I am sorry your dog is undergoing such stress over fireworks.  I remember when I had a pet dog, she did the same and I too felt bad.

First of all I too hate fireworks and they should only be in a controlled area run by professionals on the 4th of July.  There is no purpose or reason for them to be going off constantly.  It is noise pollution and many pets are affected by it as well as people!  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie   You might try the technique I use.  It's worked for me through many dogs.  The two I have now scarcely blink an eye at fireworks and thunder.

I never comfort as that just reinforces the dogs fears.  I act happy (genuinely so when it rains) and excited that were going to have some fun.  I talk to them about how great the whole situation is.  Over time, they seem to adopt my attitude that it's no big deal.

On one holiday, my big collie (avatar) was lying on the sidewalk on the side of my house sound asleep while the idiot across the street set off bottle rockets that were landing all around him.  I had to go wake him up and make him come in the house.  Usually, collies are very sensitive to noise but this one had my "happy talk" therapy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Carmie   You might try the technique I use.  It's worked for me through many dogs.  The two I have now scarcely blink an eye at fireworks and thunder.

I never comfort as that just reinforces the dogs fears.  I act happy (genuinely so when it rains) and excited that were going to have some fun.  I talk to them about how great the whole situation is.  Over time, they seem to adopt my attitude that it's no big deal.

On one holiday, my big collie (avatar) was lying on the sidewalk on the side of my house sound asleep while the idiot across the street set off bottle rockets that were landing all around him.  I had to go wake him up and make him come in the house.  Usually, collies are very sensitive to noise but this one had my "happy talk" therapy.

ITA!  we had 2 labs  and a basset hound  none of them had any issues with fireworks or storms

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I have done that with my other dogs and they didn't  blink at fireworks. I have two dogs...one sleeps through the noise, but this puppy is really upset.  This is her first experience with fireworks.  I am trying to make it seem normal, but she is clearly extremely upset..to the point of hurting herself.

i have never had a dog get this upset before. The noise is very loud and nonstop and sounds like a war zone.  It's like the soundtrack during a war movie.

I myself am getting sick of it too.  This is illegal here in PA.  I am sure my neighbors are having the same problems too.

I wish we went away for the weekend.  I spent last night mostly awake because the noise went on until 4:30 AM and my dog wouldn't settle down....now here we go again, only much worse.

Respected Contributor

We have the same situation here in Philly.  I have two dogs, both middle-aged, and one really dislikes the noise.

Close the windows.  Put on some loud music.

Give her a very thick tasty bone (toy) to chew.  The more the dog is occupied with chewing, the less the noise will affect her.  Chewing makes dogs feel better.

Some people buy thundershirts for their pets.

Dogs must be taught never to bite their owners or other people.  You should yell OWW very loudly and smack her nose.  They need to know their teeth can really hurt.  Usually puppies learn how to play nicely with each other, but they should also be totally comfortable with their owners handling them.

I have owned dogs for more than 35 years and have never been bitten once.  I brush my dogs' teeth, cut snarls out of their fur, give them baths, and so forth.

I hope your DH was not seriously hurt.

Maybe you could buy a quilt or a dog bed that your puppy can hide underneath, or create a little hideaway den using a coffee table.

Fireworks and other loud noises are a way of life and the puppy needs to adapt to live with them for the next fifteen plus years.

P.S. Some of my cats run in the basement and hide and the others ignore it.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper   I have been giving my dog chewies all night.  They seem to help a little bit.

I have never got bitten either.  My DH  just didn't think and tried to grab her when she was scared to death. He did yell..trust me and then he put her in her crate.  he is okay.

This  puppy doesn't hide when she is scared.  She runs all over the house barking and growling. no windows are open..AC is on.

She is okay with thunder, but these fireworks are way too much.

I am sure in time, she will adjust...all of my other dogs did, but none of them had it this bad.  This is the worse firework noise I have ever heard in my life.  It has been going non stop for hours with only seconds between.

Esteemed Contributor

My lab doesn't like them either. They seem so loud  this year, all around us. Seems like more people have the ones that sound like bombs going off around here. Thank God these we don't live super close to these people. I'd be tempted to take the dogs and go to a pet friendly hotel in town.

I feel sorry for anyone who is a vetran and has to deal with it also. I can't imagine having wartime ptsd and having to listen to this ******. 

Honored Contributor

I always wondered why some dogs are fearful and others not.  

None of my dogs, past or current, have been afraid.  Right now there are quite a few people setting off fireworks in my neighborhood, some sound like they are right outside my window.  They barked a little at first, then fell asleep.  Noise still quite loud.

I thought it's possible dogs afraid are sensing something in their owners.  Fear, dislike, anxiety.  Of course, @Carmie you show your anxiety and dislike in this post.  Your pup can sense it.  

If my dogs were afraid, I'd ignore it unless it became destructive.  Then, they would need to be corrected.  I wouldn't coddle or comfort them.  They are not in danger.  Best time to start is when they are puppies.  Owners are just reinforcing this behavior when they make a fuss. 

This may sound cruel, but my sister used to call me cruel when I put one in the bedroom that didn't like to be alone in the house.  She'd howl and howl.  But, by returning after so many minutes, then extending the time leaving her alone, she learned I hadn't abandoned her.  She stopped.  

I believe if owners think the noise is nothing, dogs will too.  

For me, it's neighbors having fun.  It wouldn't be July 4rth without them setting off fireworks.