Esteemed Contributor

Re: My puppy hates fireworks

@Carmie, the two sweet little dogs we use to have were terrified of the fireworks. We would get them medicine from the vet, for storms and fireworks. If you think its gonna go on all summer where you are, you might talk to the vet. 

I just went outside, and although we live on several acres and are directly surrounded by cow pastures on the left and right of us, it smells strongly of gunpowder. It was a bad idea to go out there, now I'm sneezing into oblivion. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie    Sounds like fireworks are way out of control in your area.  You and your fellow citizens need to lean hard on your city counselors and state legislators to get it under control.  The fireworks industry must grease a lot of palms and have a huge lobby because they are a problem so many places, especially this year.  It's ridiculous we have to put up with a bunch of brainless idiots.  We have them here but not as bad as you describe.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I feel the worst for the wildlife and other animals whose home is outdoors.

There's absolutely no buffer and no escape.

Esteemed Contributor

My kitty has been nervous the past few days because there have been nearby fireworks.  It helps to sit beside her and snuggle, but sometimes she runs to a closet or under a chair and comes out when she's ready.  Hopefully, the loud fireworks celebrations will end soon so she and all the other animals that have experienced discomfort can go back to normal.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee   My dog is a puppy.  She is only a few months old.  This is her first time with fireworks and they are not the usual fireworks we have around here. She ignores thunder.

The noise is awful.  Our windows rattle.  It is what I would describe as a war zone.  Our local TV stations have been reporting about the problem and how the police cannot keep up with the calls about them.  The fireworks went on last night until 4:30 AM this morning.

This is not my first dog, but she is the only one that I have had that got anxiety really bad over this.  I hope she can be trained to ignore the noise as the other dogs were. No anxiety from me, but I do know that I am mad as hell about it.

We can't watch TV or even have a conversation in our home.  It is that loud and constant. This noise is not nothing. Having your windows shake ( new windows, BTW) is not fun.

One of my dogs barked a little, then settled down. The puppy didn't.

All of my neighbors have been complaining too.  Their children and pets are scared to death.  The neighbor accross the street is raising their grand baby.  He has been petrified and has been having trouble sleeping.  I don't think many people slept last night.

Maybe people are bored and looking for something to do for excitement this year.  I am okay with that, but to set off fireworks non stop for hours late at night..usually after 12 am is getting to be too much.

It isn't safe or legal to set off commercial type fireworks in residential areas.  I hope the people get caught red handed and get fined before somone gets hurt.

Esteemed Contributor

My  Oreo is terrified and won’t come out of his kennel, Khloe barks every time and this things are loud. I can’t wait for the day to be over.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

Yes, I see your situation.

The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, ATF, reports the use of illegal explosives on July 4.  They are very loud and dangerous.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our 13 mo old baby has been under the desk!  We put his blanket there to comfort him!20200226_162312.jpg

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Aw, that lookSmiley Sad

Poor baby.

I just wish you could bring him over!

I'll doggy sit!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie , I cringe when I hear the fireworks.  My dog is ok with them but I have friends and, for them, it is a nightmare.  Why can't they make silent fireworks???  LM