Valued Contributor

Re: My precious Bailey passed away today

I just want to warn other dog owners about fatty growths. My Bailey had two that the Dr. told me it's nothing to worry about. One did start to get larger near his chest. He also had one on his back and that one ran over his spine. We had them removed & he seemed to be doing well at first. We've been busy this summer & he did sleep a lot. On Thursday I took him out & noticed that he just dropped his bowel movement not the usual way. He also stopped raising his leg to urinate. By Saturday afternoon he was paralyzed from the waist down. We took him to the vet & of course on a Saturday I don't think we got the correct answers. We brought him home & gave him medicine for pain & inflammation. He never was able to even empty his bladder again. We took him the next morning & had to say goodbye to our precious Bailey.

If your dog ever has a fatty growth make sure the do a biopsy before surgery. If it was cancer we could not  have done anything about it anyway, but he may have lived much longer. He was a happy boy & showed no sign of illness. I don't know but I'm pretty sure the one over his spine caused a spinal injury. I will never have a fatty growth taken off an older dog again. I just want you to know, do some research. I blame myself for not questioning if it was necessary. From what I've read it would be no, just leave it alone. Chemo is 2 hours away from us & it most likely would not have helped. We don't even know if it was cancer. The surgery did something to his spine.

Super Contributor

DAD - Please don't beat yourself up over this. You did the best you could with the information you were given. Your sweet pup knew how much he was loved and you gave him a wonderful life. As much as we want to keep them with us forever, there is just so much that can be done. I lost a kitty in April and have blamed myself for not trying to do more to get a definitive diagnosis. She was hurting and had quit eating and they had done every test possible here at the local vet's office. She was very frightened of going in the car or to strange places and I made the decision not to put her through any more anxiety. In my head I know it was the best thing to do but my heart misses her so much and makes me doubt myself. RIP sweet Bailey. I hope you meet my sweet kitty Annie at the bridge.

Esteemed Contributor

@DAD  I am so sorry.  This is the most difficult part of having pets.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

so very sorry for your loss,   It's never easy losing our fur babies .   It sounds as if Bailey was very loved and you gave  him a wonderful life !    One day the pain will lesson but the good memories will remain .  

Esteemed Contributor

@grandkidsrgreat wrote:

DAD - Please don't beat yourself up over this. You did the best you could with the information you were given. Your sweet pup knew how much he was loved and you gave him a wonderful life. As much as we want to keep them with us forever, there is just so much that can be done. I lost a kitty in April and have blamed myself for not trying to do more to get a definitive diagnosis. She was hurting and had quit eating and they had done every test possible here at the local vet's office. She was very frightened of going in the car or to strange places and I made the decision not to put her through any more anxiety. In my head I know it was the best thing to do but my heart misses her so much and makes me doubt myself. RIP sweet Bailey. I hope you meet my sweet kitty Annie at the bridge.

@grandkidsrgreat   Please don't feel quilt you .   I have Ben in your shoes and blamed myself for not doing all I could , but like your Annie my kitty was so afraid of the car and the vet that We opted not to put him through visit after  visit .  I did have a diagnosis,  but the vet frat we should bring him back weekly for treatments that would only prolong what we felt the time he had left and opted to keep him home and be loved and not scared till it was time .   We kniw now itwas the right decision.  I pray in time that will be the same for you🙏🏻

Contributor

I understand your grief...My Cali ( cat) passed away in my arms last thurs. Aug 15th........at 13 years old...She was fighting hepatitis.........I am going on websites that deal with pet loss, talking to friends who have/had animals and also I got out from the library , on losing a pet and grieving........I never had pets before and she was my younger son's cat. This is a journey I never wanted to take , however this is the circle of life.

Valued Contributor

I do realize it's the circle of life & have lost 3 dogs in my lifetime. I just don't feel right about out vet experience. I think their practice has grown too big. I'm looking for a good alternative. I still find myself getting 3 dog treats out or cutting chicken for 3 dogs. We do have his sister (she looks so much like him) & our Pom with us. Also a kitty kat that we found on our deck 3 years ago. We did try to find her owner, but I think she was abandoned. But my little man was Mommy's boy. They say it takes about a month to get over the loss of a pet. I am retired due to my back & these animals became my life. It's so hard, but the wonderful memories help. I still cry everyday. I know it will get better. Thank you all for your kind words. I can tell you all love your pets!

Valued Contributor

I never wanted a male dog. The stories about them marking their territory in your home were not  true for him. Outside yes! When we got our Pom the seller told me if you want a companion get a male. If your husband wants one get a female. I thought she was nuts!! Turns out that it is so true of our Pom. I'm just her servant until Daddy gets home. Bailey was Mommy's boy & his sister loves Daddy but she still looks at me to see if I approve what she's doing. It's been eleven days since he's been gone & it's not better yet. Thank you for listening to me & your kind words.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@grandkidsrgreat wrote:

@grandkidsrgreat   Please don't feel quilt you .   I have Ben in your shoes and blamed myself for not doing all I could , but like your Annie my kitty was so afraid of the car and the vet that We opted not to put him through visit after  visit .  I did have a diagnosis,  but the vet frat we should bring him back weekly for treatments that would only prolong what we felt the time he had left and opted to keep him home and be loved and not scared till it was time .   We kniw now itwas the right decision.  I pray in time that will be the same for you🙏🏻

@DAD   I just realized I addressed this to the wrong poster .🙀  Sorry ☺️

Trusted Contributor

@DAD , I am so sorry for you, your husband and Bailey's siblings with the passing of Bailey.  May the happy memories of Bailey help you through this rough time of grief. Your love for Bailey will never diminish. Heart