Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,889
Registered: ‎07-09-2011

@NickNack wrote:

I live near a Vet School, and you can go in as an emergency.  In fact, when my dog needed to see an ophthalmologist there my Vet called and got her squeezed in the same day.  When I took her in, the Vet told me that I could always come in as an emergency.

 

Years ago I had a dog with problems that turned out to be cancer. I took her to the Vet School in the middle of the night one time.

 

I'm so sorry your dog is in pain.


@NickNack 

 

My sweet, sweet baby, a Flame Point Himalayan, had shingles in his eyes.  The Opthomologist at the Vet school was an Angel for us.  Sadly he crossed The Bridge last April.  I miss him So much, the hope in my heart is that we’ll be together again.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,265
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I live near a Vet School, and you can go in as an emergency.  In fact, when my dog needed to see an ophthalmologist there my Vet called and got her squeezed in the same day.  When I took her in, the Vet told me that I could always come in as an emergency.

 

Years ago I had a dog with problems that turned out to be cancer. I took her to the Vet School in the middle of the night one time.

 

I'm so sorry your dog is in pain.


@NickNack 

 

My sweet, sweet baby, a Flame Point Himalayan, had shingles in his eyes.  The Opthomologist at the Vet school was an Angel for us.  Sadly he crossed The Bridge last April.  I miss him So much, the hope in my heart is that we’ll be together again.


 

 

@Drythe   I'm so very sorry for your loss.  I've always thought flame point Himalayans were beautiful.  I strongly believe we will be with our pets again.

 

I have a small tea jar with a Himalayan painted by one of my favorite pet portrait artists.  I bought it years ago.  I think it's beautiful and have attached it below.

fullsizeoutput_250.jpeg


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling





Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,171
Registered: ‎07-19-2013

Vivian; if you are in the Philadelphia area; skip Penn - try to go to Horsham Veterinary Hospital.  They are EXCELLENT and have a tremendous diagnostic platform.

 

Dr. Edling was my vet for my bunny and she was 100% excellent.

 

Good luck....I'm sending major prayers your way.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,557
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

I'm so sorry to hear of all that you're going through!  I don't understand why this isn't being treated as an emergency. 

 

When my dog was sick I took her to the 24 hr. emergency animal hospital near me no appointment needed.  Is there one near you?  If you find one call to see if they have an MRI facility.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,592
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

@Ko wrote:

Vivian; if you are in the Philadelphia area; skip Penn - try to go to Horsham Veterinary Hospital.  They are EXCELLENT and have a tremendous diagnostic platform.

 

Dr. Edling was my vet for my bunny and she was 100% excellent.

 

Good luck....I'm sending major prayers your way.


We went there for years. My son "inherited" 2 ferrets. She was our vet. In fact she was the only vet we could find to accept ferrets. They had a good life, thanks to her.

 

People used to come from all over Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York to go to her. She used to have Ferret Sundays.

 

Then we continued going to Horsham Vet for our 2 collies.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,557
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@drizzella wrote:

@Ko wrote:

Vivian; if you are in the Philadelphia area; skip Penn - try to go to Horsham Veterinary Hospital.  They are EXCELLENT and have a tremendous diagnostic platform.

 

Dr. Edling was my vet for my bunny and she was 100% excellent.

 

Good luck....I'm sending major prayers your way.


We went there for years. My son "inherited" 2 ferrets. She was our vet. In fact she was the only vet we could find to accept ferrets. They had a good life, thanks to her.

 

People used to come from all over Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York to go to her. She used to have Ferret Sundays.

 

Then we continued going to Horsham Vet for our 2 collies.


@Ko  & @drizzella   This is good to know!  I looked it up and Horsham Veterinary Hosital is only half an hour away from me.....I'm not thrilled with our current vet.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,185
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

To answer a question about where Maddie is now, she is back at our vet hospital. She was sent home a few days ago because she had been doing OK on pain meds and anti-Inflammatories. However, a couple of days ago she was in pain again, even with the meds, so we had to take her back to the vet. That’s when they did the myelogram, assuming they’d find the offending disc. They even did an abdominal ultrasound since Maddie showed discomfort when she was touched on her belly. Nothing was found. So the next diagnostic step is the MRI. If that shows nothing, we return to square one. All that is sure is that a radical cashectomy will be performed on my bank account.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,365
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Vivian Florimond , Yes your baby needs that looked at, i would keep trying to get him into a  vet school,to get this taken care of ,it is terrible that he is going through this, best of luck.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,083
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Vivian Florimond   Where are you driving from?  Cornell has a veterinary school.  Ithica is abour four hours west of Albany.  Might be a better option for you?  Given that you say "DOWN" to Manhattan, I'm guessing you are north?  In NY?  If so, there might be a quicker route to Cornell.  

 

I wish your baby well!

 

Unrelated.... I'm making a three hour trek to Albany tomorrow... but by plane!  Heading back home on Tuesday.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,185
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

I live almost walking distance to Cornell. I begged them to take us and all I got was August 8. We are alumni,retired professor, former administrators, and now former donors to the university. My vets begged too and they are undergraduate and Veterinary College alumni. No go. I will never forget their treatment of us. We are 3 hours from Latham (Albany suburb) and I am resigned to going there. At least Maddie will be able to get care there.