Trusted Contributor

Wonderful suggestions all of you.

Thank you for your kindness.

I am giving her her prescribed pain pill and we are both resting on a heated throw.

Not too hot.

I will massage her in a little bit.

Vet said hips, knees and paws are fine. 

I keep feeling paw to check for anything and find nothing.

She has been having this issue since August of this year. 

Also giving her a glucosamine pill daily.

Thanks again all.

Valued Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl  Hugs to your girl! Hope she will feel better with the pain meds....You've gotten such great advice here the only thing I can add to is just have vet check her ****** glands if he hasn't, to see if they should be expressed. My mini poodle had this issue where when they were full, he limped, whined in pain and his back hurt. Until we figured it out,  we thought he had a back issue.  Keep us posted how she's doing...

Valued Contributor

Sorry, that word was censored,  but I meant  the lower behind  glands I'm sure you got that 😊

Honored Contributor

@DianeJ2 wrote:

@Chicagosuburbangirl  Hugs to your girl! Hope she will feel better with the pain meds....You've gotten such great advice here the only thing I can add to is just have vet check her ****** glands if he hasn't, to see if they should be expressed. My mini poodle had this issue where when they were full, he limped, whined in pain and his back hurt. Until we figured it out,  we thought he had a back issue.  Keep us posted how she's doing...

@Chicagosuburbangirl   Yes, checking the a*n*a*l glands is a good idea.  I had a dog that had a problem and had to have her a. glands removed.  They actually ruptured all over the Vet one time.  I was so embarassed. She had a horrible time with them and was in a lot of pain before the surgery.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry your baby is hurting.

The pain in the mornings sure sounds arthritis.  The *name we dare not speak* glands or massive bowel blockage can do it too.  I had a teacup down a peanut once and that took a while to figure out.

Respected Contributor

So sorry your precious little one is in pain. Hope someone can figure out what the problem is. 

Esteemed Contributor

A veterinary neurologist can rule out spinal issues; a veterinary orthopedist can check on the rest.

We've had cats and dogs with similar issues. I'd start with neurologist.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

She is a small shih tzu mix, 4 years old and we cannot find out why she is in pain.

After several trips to the vet, a very good vet, several X-rays and an ultrasound, we still don't know why she is in pain.

After she first gets up, she limps and whimpers and avoids stepping down on her right rear leg. When picking her up, I have to be careful about her lower back because she cries then too. After a couple minutes she seems ok, but today with the rain, she seems a little worse.

Vet suggests it might be a pinched nerve or soft tissue damage or arthritis.

Her little whimpers tear through my heart. Vet prescribed a pain pill, but I really want to fix the source.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

This is making DH and myself so unhappy.

@Chicagosuburbangirl   I'm so sorry your "little Girl" is hurting. It sounds like Sadie's symptoms years ago when she was first diagnosed with arthritis. Of course, you're both unhappy. You're feeling so helpless. I hope the vet finds answers for all of you soon and your fur baby feels better. 

Honored Contributor

She is a small shih tzu mix, 4 years old and we cannot find out why she is in pain.

After several trips to the vet, a very good vet, several X-rays and an ultrasound, we still don't know why she is in pain.

After she first gets up, she limps and whimpers and avoids stepping down on her right rear leg. When picking her up, I have to be careful about her lower back because she cries then too. After a couple minutes she seems ok, but today with the rain, she seems a little worse.

Her little whimpers tear through my heart. Vet prescribed a pain pill, but I really want to fix the source.

Did this condition come on suddenly?

Honored Contributor

Please read this and the link to crucially ligament too. At least you will get an overall idea of the things that could be affecting your little girl. Good article. https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/health/dog-limping-possible-causes-and-treatments/