Contributor

I'm sorry about your little one.  I too have a Shih-tzu, and they are little sweeties.  Mine is not well either.  A friend of mine recently told me about her little dog, and she had had hers to a vet for some pain issues as well.  I don't think the regular vet could help much, but soemone else had told her about a chiropractor who did adjustments on pets as well as humans.  She took him to this particular chiropractor who believed her dog did have a pinched nerve.  She said when she took him there the dog could barely walk.  The chiropractor did an adjustment, and she said that later on that evening the dog could walk again pretty good and just continued to get better.....so, I'm  just passing this along to you in case this is something you might want to look into.   She loved this chiropractor so much that she referred her daughter to him who also took her little dog there for a treatment.  He help both of their dogs.  Good luck to you.  My little dog has no eyes.  He has recently been diagnosed with lymphoma.  It is heart breaking when they are sick.  

Super Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

She is a small shih tzu mix, 4 years old and we cannot find out why she is in pain.

After several trips to the vet, a very good vet, several X-rays and an ultrasound, we still don't know why she is in pain.

After she first gets up, she limps and whimpers and avoids stepping down on her right rear leg. When picking her up, I have to be careful about her lower back because she cries then too. After a couple minutes she seems ok, but today with the rain, she seems a little worse.

Vet suggests it might be a pinched nerve or soft tissue damage or arthritis.

Her little whimpers tear through my heart. Vet prescribed a pain pill, but I really want to fix the source.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

This is making DH and myself so unhappy.

@Chicagosuburbangirl  My dog had to have IVDD surgery because she was having the same problems. X-rays did not show it. We try medication,rest. It got worse so my vet sent us to an emergency veterinary hospital since they have a neurologist. We had to get an MRI done and sure enough it was Intervertebral disc disease. The sooner you find out the better chance of recovery. It's been 2 years and she is walking around fine. Good luck hope your baby gets better.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D  Yes, it seemed to happen suddenly.

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl   Look into  massage and  Acupuncture For dogs.  Many vets offer this or can recommend someone.  

Trusted Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl 

I'll keep your little pooch in my prayers.  I hope the meds & heat pad help.  Plus, the comfort of you with her should help ease her discomfort.  Heart