Respected Contributor

Re: My new dog will have to go

@Carmie wrote:

@Susan in California   There is no rescue organization.  I rescued this dog from a family who had too many dogs.  They got a new Frenchie and decided one had to go.

thank you for the book suggestion.  I will read it.

Did you buy this dog directly from the "family who had too many dogs" and decided "one had to go" when they got a new dog? I volunteer with several licensed rescue organizations. Posters here have recommended and given contact information. Please explore them and select one. It will pain you to let her go but I promise you will regret it if you don't. Some dogs need to be the only pet, the only dog, in the family. No amount of training, surgery or medications will change it. Things might be going along okay and then a vicious fight will break out. You've seen it. Dogs will go for an ear and try to tear it off. They will fling the other dog around like a dishrag and go for the the throat. It is horrific if the owner sees it and starts screaming and trying to separate them. I won't keep talking about it.

Shockingly enough, dogs like that can be a sweet, loving, gentle pet under the right conditions. One dog only and sometimes no cats or other pets in the home. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would like to add that the younger one you are calling a "puppy" is no longer a puppy at 9 mos I think you said?  She may have been when you first brought home the 3 year old.  Now she is considered an adolescent and this is the age that aggression and other undesirable behavior begins in dogs. 

If your 3 year old already had problems in a previous home getting along, add in an adolescent showing alpha female tendencies, and you have a recipe for disaster. 

I am sorry it has come to this.  I know you had the  best intentions when you adopted first one and then another. But rehome one or other before it is too late is the best advice, IMO. 

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie

I apologize.  The title of the book is Embracing the Wild in Your Dog .

(Bryan Bailey is the writer)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I would suggest not getting a second dog after this. Animals are too precious to just "try out". 

Trusted Contributor

Contact a rescue to see if you can surrender the dog to them.  They will be able to find a proper home for the pooch. 

Frequent Contributor

this is NOT a traininf issue

Frequent Contributor

I had a female yorkie who thought she was a pit bull female attack dog   I had a care business foe day or extended care for small      dogs.  She wouls stalk ALL female dogs and attack them, through any hair and right to flesh.   If I would try ro separate ssssshe would not let go.  I finally had to keep her separatee efrom all females.    The next step was to give her to another home but I chose to keep her in a separate ppart of the house.  All wereso sad and depressed.  Trainers DO NOT work.