Esteemed Contributor

Re: My new dog will have to go

@DottieBlue wrote:

Can dogs be spayed before their first heat?  If that is allowable, perhaps go ahead and have it done now.

@DottieBlue,  while there is a lot of controversy about spaying before and after first heat statistics show a female dog spayed before her first heat will have a near zero chance of developing mammary cancer. After the first heat, this incidence climbs to 7% and after the second heat the risk is 25% (one in four!).

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

To those who say to spay the puppy...I don't get it.  How would spaying the puppy stop the older dog from being aggressive?

I would just have two aggressive spayed dogs.

@Carmie, not necessarily.  The aggression could be hormone related.

Valued Contributor

@Carmie I had two westies, mother and daughter that were fine for about 6 months and then all of a sudden started fighting. The puppy came to live with us first and then the mother on a trial basis. During the trial everything was fine.  People used to comment on how cute since they laid on the steps one higher than the other. Then the fighting started.  They drew blood and it was awful.  In their frenzy they bit me too.  I hired a trainer and worked with him once a week for a full year and was not able to change the situation.  We kept one upstairs and one downstairs and one on the couch and one on the chair.  It was so stressful for all of us and we did this for years.  I would not recommend that anyone go through what we did.  One has since passed away.

Valued Contributor

@Marp  My last female cat  was spayed  at 5 months.My vet told me they try to do it before the start of hormones. It keeps them much healther in their older age. It greatly reduces their odds of getting cancer. Just like your stats suggest for dogs.It must be the same logic for cats too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Estates wrote:

@Marp  My last female cat  was spayed  at 5 months.My vet told me they try to do it before the start of hormones. It keeps them much healther in their older age. It greatly reduces their odds of getting cancer. Just like your stats suggest for dogs.It must be the same logic for cats too.

@Estates,  early spaying is even more important for cats as the cancer rate for cats is much higher than for dogs. 

If your cat is spayed before her first heat cycle, there is less than ½ of 1% (0.5%) chance of developing breast cancer. With every subsequent heat cycle, the risk of developing breast cancer increases. After about 2½ years of age, ovariohysterectomy offers no protective benefit against developing breast cancer.

Unspayed female cats also carry the risk of developing pyometra – a fatal condition of the uterus that requires surgery to treat.

As a FYI about 90% of cats that develop mammary cancer die from it even if radical surgery is performed.

The probability of developing pyometra and/or cancer of the ovaries and/or uterus is reduced to almost 0%.

My vet and I are both proponents of pediatric spaying--eight weeks of age and weighing at least 2.2 pounds.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie 

As difficult as it may be, I agree with the decision to surrender your more-recent rescue.

I also agree that it would be best to contact the rescue directly rather than trying to re-home yourself.

This can't be easy, but these two could very well fight to the

death to establish alpha role.

My husband has been often called a "dog whisperer", and he

said this is the nature of dogs.  He also suggested the book,

The Wolf in Your Dog, by Brian Bailey. 

So, in essence, I agree with @Kachina624 .

Honored Contributor

@Susan in California   There is no rescue organization.  I rescued this dog from a family who had too many dogs.  They got a new Frenchie and decided one had to go.

thank you for the book suggestion.  I will read it.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@DottieBlue wrote:

Can dogs be spayed before their first heat?  If that is allowable, perhaps go ahead and have it done now.

@DottieBlue,  while there is a lot of controversy about spaying before and after first heat statistics show a female dog spayed before her first heat will have a near zero chance of developing mammary cancer. After the first heat, this incidence climbs to 7% and after the second heat the risk is 25% (one in four!).

I always have females and I never spay unit after their first birthday providing they have had at least one heat cycle.  It is true that spaying early prevents breast cancer, but there are many reasons why I wait.

it is like doing a hysterectomy on a child.  The genitals will never grow to adult size.  This can lead to incontience and bladder issues. It also places a female dog in a high risk for hip dysplasia, heart tumors, poor bone growth and development, ACL ruptures, adverse reactions to vaccines, bone cancer and a few other problems.

If you have a female, you need to be a very responsible pet owner if you do not spay early.  Unwanted pregnancy is a serious issue.

Everyone needs to do what is best for their pets. My rescue has been spayed early by her previous owner at just a few months old.

Honored Contributor

@m0rgan wrote:

@Carmie I had two westies, mother and daughter that were fine for about 6 months and then all of a sudden started fighting. The puppy came to live with us first and then the mother on a trial basis. During the trial everything was fine.  People used to comment on how cute since they laid on the steps one higher than the other. Then the fighting started.  They drew blood and it was awful.  In their frenzy they bit me too.  I hired a trainer and worked with him once a week for a full year and was not able to change the situation.  We kept one upstairs and one downstairs and one on the couch and one on the chair.  It was so stressful for all of us and we did this for years.  I would not recommend that anyone go through what we did.  One has since passed away.

@m0rgan  Yes....that is what we went through....it was AWFUL🙁

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Well, something changed for one, if not both.

If the rescue is still underweight, has she been in for a checkup? Did your pup come into her first heat?

Are they getting less exercise or outdoor playtime since the pandemic? My GSD's are still adjusting to me being home all day and it's been months! They're not able to create as much mischief as they're used to. 😉

Yes, the rescue dog ( Natalie) had a check up before I got her and I took her in for another,,,including a full blood work up.  She is very lightweight, but has gained weight since I have had her.  I don't think she will ever weigh what she should.

My puppy has not had her first heat.  She is almost 9 mos old now.  I hope it come up soon so I can have her spayed afterward.

Nothing has changed since the pandemic.  Both came after the pandemic started and I am with them both all day.

@Carmie,  have you considered the possibility of "silent heat/s"?   If you question if that can even happen I can put you in touch with my nephew who was surprised that his 7 month old puppy's weight gain was really 3 puppies she was carrying.

OMG.  I have never heard of that.  I know my dog is not pregnant.  I do not allow my dogs to be outdoors without a leash and either I or my DH is on their other end of it.

That would be a real shocker, for sure.