Honored Contributor

Re: My new dog will have to go

To those who say to spay the puppy...I don't get it.  How would spaying the puppy stop the older dog from being aggressive?

I would just have two aggressive spayed dogs.

Esteemed Contributor

Experience, yes.  Female - Female aggression is the worse as well as the hardest to correct.  My mom and I both got a female puppies.  She would watch my dog everyday while I was at work, so they grew up together..  Then when they both were about 2 years old, 1 decided she hated the other and the other was not going to back down.  They are both now 13 and have been separated all this time.

Cavalier Rescue will do a good job to find her a home were she will be the only dog.  Cavs are very much in demand.  She will have a home that she can call her own without the stress of another dog.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Carmie  I am sorry this is happening. It is no fun for you or the dogs.  I do not have any advice but I can say that You Are right when you say they would Fight to the Death.  I have known people who this happened to.  When the couple moved in together. they seperated the females but when they were out the younger dog broke into the old dogs room and put a vicious end to her.

Please, From the bottom of my heart, Do NOT discount returning her to the rescue.

Super Contributor

@Carmie   I have been in the same position as you recently.  I contacted three behaviorists.  One told me the odds of this working out were less than 40% and he wouldn't even take the job.  One behaviorialist came out and said it MIGHT work if I were willing to drug the aggressive female, but in the meantime I was putting the other dog at risk and possibly affecting her temperament.  The third behavioralist watched the video of the fight and told me to rehome one of the dogs before someone, human or canine, was injured.  

We get so attached to our dogs ... and then to have to give one up.  I feel for you being in this position.  But, it's not your fault ... returning the new dog to the rescue is probably the best decision for everyone ....  but It's heartbreaking ...

Honored Contributor

Thank you to everyone who responded.  Oh, this is very difficult.  I love both of them so much and they are wonderful dogs.

I have had two females before and at first, it was kinda on edge, but just a growl and a snap and one would back off.  These two do not stop off and I am afraid the older one will get hurt.  She is a rough cookie, but no match for my puppy who is bigger. She tends to start fights she can't win and won't back down.

I will call the lady who gave her to me and talk to her.  She has four dogs.   I wonder if this was the reason she gave me this sweet pup.  maybe there was fighting at her house too.

This little girl is very petite and cute as can be.  She is super affectionate and loving.  No potty issues and no destructive behavior.  She listens pretty well, but barks at every little sound.

She is perfect for a home with a couple or even behaved children as long as there are no other dogs in the house.

I am very disappointed and heart broken.  This is a tough decision to make.

Honored Contributor

First consult with a good dog trainer, your vet should have someone he can refer to you.  

Respected Contributor

@Carmie 

Please locate a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Breed Rescue - not a shelter, and please do NOT rehome it on your own. 

AKC has reputable breed specific rescues on their website that can help.

Don't keep a dangerous situation under your roof - it's unfair to both animals

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie   I do not believe the lady who placed her with you will be honest about why.  I would suggest going straight to Cavalier Rescue.  

cavalierrescue.org is a wonderful group.  They have rescue groups for each area of the country and could take her to a foster home and then place her for you.  This is the rescue that I used to foster for.  I've adopted several Cavaliers from them in the past.

I think you probably already know about this group but wanted to give you the website in case you don't.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Carmie       Yes... I went through this.  It is HORRIBLE and stressfull.. It would be best to rehome the new dog into a house with no other dogs.

You do not have to feel bad about it.  They will fight to either the death or injury... NOT WORTH IT.  You can find a nice home for the new dog. No need to  have to deal with this.  Once it starts it will not end. I learned my lesson and want to share this with you. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Well, something changed for one, if not both.

If the rescue is still underweight, has she been in for a checkup? Did your pup come into her first heat?

Are they getting less exercise or outdoor playtime since the pandemic? My GSD's are still adjusting to me being home all day and it's been months! They're not able to create as much mischief as they're used to. 😉

Yes, the rescue dog ( Natalie) had a check up before I got her and I took her in for another,,,including a full blood work up.  She is very lightweight, but has gained weight since I have had her.  I don't think she will ever weigh what she should.

My puppy has not had her first heat.  She is almost 9 mos old now.  I hope it come up soon so I can have her spayed afterward.

Nothing has changed since the pandemic.  Both came after the pandemic started and I am with them both all day.

@Carmie,  have you considered the possibility of "silent heat/s"?   If you question if that can even happen I can put you in touch with my nephew who was surprised that his 7 month old puppy's weight gain was really 3 puppies she was carrying.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.