Honored Contributor

Re: My new dog will have to go

[ Edited ]

@Carmie   I believe you should return the dog to Rescue.  I kept a rescue Cavalier one time that I should have returned.  He was a sweet dog but he chased my three cats to the point that they never left my bedroom.  They pretty much lived on my bed.  

I regret to this day not returning him.  If your dogs are fighting and growling like that, I think you have no other choice.  I wouldn't try to find a trainer for a problem like this.

For those who are begging her not to return the dog to Rescue, the Cavalier rescue is great.  I used to foster for them.  They would find wonderful homes for their rescues.  The dog will be happier in another home without this stress.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Well, something changed for one, if not both.

If the rescue is still underweight, has she been in for a checkup? Did your pup come into her first heat?

Are they getting less exercise or outdoor playtime since the pandemic? My GSD's are still adjusting to me being home all day and it's been months! They're not able to create as much mischief as they're used to. 😉

Yes, the rescue dog ( Natalie) had a check up before I got her and I took her in for another,,,including a full blood work up.  She is very lightweight, but has gained weight since I have had her.  I don't think she will ever weigh what she should.

My puppy has not had her first heat.  She is almost 9 mos old now.  I hope it come up soon so I can have her spayed afterward.

Nothing has changed since the pandemic.  Both came after the pandemic started and I am with them both all day.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie   While she has not come into heat yet it still could be hormones.  Just like some women get a bit wacky premenstrual.  A former co worker who had a show dog would say her female dog got fighty several weeks before going into heat.  I would talk with your vet before doing anything.

Honored Contributor

@Pook   What about the three year old who has been spayed?

Both dogs are guilty equally. Maybe one has horomone problems, not not both.

Right now the dogs and I are on the sofa peacefully sitting.  This has been the first time in two days that they have been in the same room without being restrained and are not at each other throats.

I have removed all the toys, blankets, treats and everything they could possibly bicker over.  No sitting on furniture unless I am there with them.

I am going to try to get this to work, but I can't chance one of them getting hurt.  The fights are vicious.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie    I know this is very stressful for you and for the dogs too.  There is a good chance you could get bitten in trying to break up a fight.  I got a good bite inadvertently on the ankle once.  My friend had a dog bite her adversary so badly that a leg on the dog had to be amputated.

I honestly don't think there's a solution other than to re-home the new dog.  You've got two dogs who both want to be alpha and that's not hormonal nor will it "go away".  This is something that can happen anytime you introduce a new dog...it upsets the balance of power, so to speak.  Sometimes they adjust, sometimes they don't.  It's worse in a pack where multiple dogs join the fray.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Carmie   I think you're taking a big risk by trying to make things work.  I don't think it's possible.  If it were me I would give up the dog now before something goes terribly wrong.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are quite a few possibilities of what's going on.  It could be several causes or just one. 

While they might be fighting for dominance, I'm thinking the older rescue might be thinking she should be dominant because she's older, but Miss Puppy, like a lot of youngsters doesn't agree with that.  

I'm also thinking what signals they are getting from you?

It's interesting they were fine until two weeks ago, now they aren't.  What changed? 

Which one of the dogs is starting the fights?  The other dog may be protecting itself by fighting back.  

I'd like to know how old is the puppy?  You might be trying to treat her like an adult dog, but she's still quite young.  It could be the puppy reached an age where she is getting more spunky.  See if she will allow you to turn her over on her back.  If she fights you, you have an assertive, possibly aggressive puppy, more difficult to train.  

Is the puppy spayed?  If not, that could be an important factor in her behavior as she gets older.

Do the same with your rescue.  You might have two assertive personalities on your hands, but I don't think that should be a reason to return the rescue.  

It also could be something changed in the household.  

First, I'd have both checked by a vet to see if anything is wrong there.  You said the puppy is larger and stronger than the underweight rescue.  While I'm sure she was underweight when you got her, is she eating well, feeling OK?  An older dog also has less tolerance for a rambunctious puppy.

Are these dogs being trained with "no, sit, stay, etc."  If not, you need to start that immediately?  

I'd ask myself if jealousy might be a factor.  Are you giving one more attention than you did before?  

You say females will work it out.  I'd never let fighting occur between my females or males.  It will only escalate if not corrected immediately.  No aggressive behavior allowed regardless of the circumstances.  That requires constant surveillance when they are together.  

From the limited information we have, I would correct both dogs even thinking about fighting.  I'd fatten up the rescue to a good weight, make sure she's healthy. 

Pay attention to both dogs equally.  Both dogs may need more time to adjust.  Neither one living in your house long or together.  Stop the bad behavior before it starts.  Stay firm and consistent with your own behavior.  You are the boss, not your dogs.

Honored Contributor

I don't think two weeks is not very long to just decide nothing can be done, particularly since you've had her since May without a problem. It sounds like hormonal changes which can be improved by spaying which needs to be done anyway. Unless, you just don't want the dog which I that case hopefully someone else will. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie , i have no answers for you, but i am so sorry you are having to deal with this.  i know you will figure this out and do the right thing.  wishing you the best ... 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Can dogs be spayed before their first heat?  If that is allowable, perhaps go ahead and have it done now.