Honored Contributor

I lost my two beautiful Cavalier King Charles Spaniels last winter from heart disease.  We were very heart broken and got another one...a puppy in February.

We wanted another one and rescued a 3 year old Cavalier in May.  Everything was great, but about two weeks ago, they...both females, started to not to get along.  I know that dogs, especially females will " work it out" until one is established as the alpha.  Sometimes they will fight over this.

Anyhow, the fighting has gotten out of hand.  They are way too aggressive and both dogs are stressed to the hilt.  They will fight to the death if I'd let them.

Everyone has been telling us to get shock collars, but I don't want to.

I am serious thinking of sending the rescue back.  She was the perfect dog and I fell in love with her, but I am afraid both dogs will get hurt.  The puppy is bigger and stronger than the rescue and is still very much underweight.

It is so bad that they are kept in different rooms and if one dogs hears the other one, the barking and growing begins.  I have tried to stop this behavior since it started happening, but nothing I do is effective. 

I am heart broken that I will lose another dog due to extremely aggressive behavior

Anyone else ever had this problem?

Respected Contributor

Re: My new dog will have to go

Please consult a good dog trainer before you give her up. I think this can be fixed. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @conlt Good luck 

Honored Contributor

I called a few trainers.  None had any experience with this.  One said she would get back to me after research.

I even called the vet office for references.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I certainly wouldn't put shock collars on the dogs (or any animals).  IMO, they're cruel.

If they were getting along until recently, something has happened to cause this new behavior.  I agree that you should get the advice of a trainer before you allow it to get any worse or return the rescue to the shelter.

Also, have you talked to the people at the shelter about the problem?  They've generally seen it all and would have some insight about it.  You definitely shouldn't allow it to go on for any length of time before you take steps to resolve it.

ETA:  I was posting as you made the above reply.  Trainers who've never heard of this kind of behavior?  Again - talk to the people at the rescue center.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Carmie - I just googled this subject and came up with a very good article on PethelpfulDOTcom.  Can't post the link because it likely contains ads and such.

It gave a lot of useful information, if you want to try some research first.  (And again, shock collars can make aggression worse.  Think about it:  how you'd feel, if someone was shocking you at will.)

Honored Contributor

Please,please don't send her back.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia   I have been reading a lot about this problem on line.  I will check the website you mentioned.

Don't worry, I would NEVER use a shock cloak.  Both pups are so sweet, I wouldn't do anything that hurt them.

I rescued my dog from a family, not a rescue center.  I really do hate to send her back if I decide I can't keep her.

Cavalier Rescue USA is a great organization and I know they can find her a perfect home.  I think she needs to be the only dog.  Except for some barking issues, she has been perfect otherwise before this.

thank you for your suggestions.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, something changed for one, if not both.

If the rescue is still underweight, has she been in for a checkup? Did your pup come into her first heat?

Are they getting less exercise or outdoor playtime since the pandemic? My GSD's are still adjusting to me being home all day and it's been months! They're not able to create as much mischief as they're used to. 😉

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Please consult a good dog trainer before you give her up. I think this can be fixed. 

@conlt   I disagree.  I've always had multiple dogs at the same time and have run across this situation several times.  I worked with a rescue group that had several dog behaviorists who gave excellent suggestions but nothing they or I could think to do ever helped the situation.  You simply cannot overcome that instinct.  I had to surrender a beautiful Sheltie that a rival kept attacking.  In another case I had a $1500 vet bill after a dog fight.

Best to make the hard decision to give up the new dog before she gets seriously hurt.  The dog deserves a happy home where she can live without fear of attack.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment