Trusted Contributor

I agree she wasn’t ready to be adopted. You need to tell the rescue what’s going on and that while she didn’t bite your granddaughter, she did snap at her. You don’t want to wait for a bite for many reasons, but if she does, that labels her and it won’t be good for the dog once she’s returned to rescue.  Please do it now. I’ve done rescue for many years.  May I ask what rescue you adopted her from?  There are rescues and there are rescues. 

Super Contributor

The foster "mom" has been helpful and supportive.  I believe she is now fostering another dog so I doubt she could take this one back.  I am upset with the adoption coordinator for her lack of follow through, not returning calls or responding to my request for help in finding a trainer / behaviorist.   She may not know a trainer or behaviorist but she could return my call to say so.  I don't want to name the rescue because I still believe in the concept.  

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog

I highly suspect, based on this poor girl's behavior, that she came from a 'backyard breeder', where the animals are kept in wire cages and they receive very little socialization with each other (except for breeding) and less than kindness from the humans.

People like that see the animals as a commodity, rather than a pet or family member and they are treated as such by the breeder.

Probably the only socialization she had was with her foster, but not for long enough.

I do know that all rescue groups/fosters are not always totally honest, in their desperation to place animals.

For example, we were told that Kingston was crate trained, so we bought him a huge crate with a fluffy bed and he would have no part of it.

I contacted the foster mom, who then confessed that she didn't crate him because he hated it.

I've never crated any of my animals, so that didn't really bother me, I just returned the crate.

Also, according to my vet, they weren't truthful about his breed, knowing that some breeds are hard to adopt out.

I know that all rescue groups/shelters are overwhelmed with animals that need homes, but being honest about the animal to a potential adopter is very important, to avoid unfortunate circumstances, such as yours.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog wrote:

The foster "mom" has been helpful and supportive.  I believe she is now fostering another dog so I doubt she could take this one back.  I am upset with the adoption coordinator for her lack of follow through, not returning calls or responding to my request for help in finding a trainer / behaviorist.   She may not know a trainer or behaviorist but she could return my call to say so.  I don't want to name the rescue because I still believe in the concept.  

@lilypadfrog  Even if the former foster home can't take him back, the rescue should absolutely take him back.  I would contact them immediately and tell them it didn't work out and why.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

So, today my grand daughter was helping me put clean sheets on my bed.  She was wearing flip flops while I was wearing slippers.  We were going back and forth around the bed, afraid I am ocd about sheets being even on all sides.  The dog was growling but then it lunged out and nipped my grand daughter on her toes.  It broke skin.  Its a minimal bite, only 1 small spot but this is now a deal breaker.  It scared her so I have called the rescue Foster mom to advise and to request help in getting the adoption coordinator.  I cannot keep this dog now,  I promised my grand daughter it would be gone by the time she comes back next weekend.  Unfortunately, I am getting the impression I wont get my money back and wont be able to adopt again from this rescue.  I am not sure though so need to speak to the adoption coordinator.  If I dont, then, so be it.  I just hope this doesnt keep another rescue from working with me.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry this happened to your granddaughter.  Yes, you absolutely have to give this dog back now.  Don't worry about another rescue not working with you.  They should understand you can't have a dog that bites your granddaughter.  This dog was not properly socialized before being placed with you.  If the rescue doesn't take it back immediately I would take the dog to the shelter.  I know you don't want to do that, but this dog shouldn't have been placed in a home to begin with.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I'm so sorry this happened to your granddaughter.  Yes, you absolutely have to give this dog back now.  Don't worry about another rescue not working with you.  They should understand you can't have a dog that bites your granddaughter.  This dog was not properly socialized before being placed with you.  If the rescue doesn't take it back immediately I would take the dog to the shelter.  I know you don't want to do that, but this dog shouldn't have been placed in a home to begin with.

@lilypadfrog 

Hopefully, the rescue or foster home will take her back. If she is taken to a shelter she will be euthanized right away. Shelters do not have staff, space or time to work with dogs that are surrendered because they bit someone. It is only fair to tell them why you are bringing her to the shelter, to the dog, the staff, and to potential adopting people. It's a death sentence for the dog but it is what it is.

Trusted Contributor

You were warned with the first snap.  You should not have allowed the dog near your granddaughter after that first incident.  Some dogs don’t belong in a home with children. The reason I asked the rescues name is because all rescues are not created equal.  If they know your situation and have ignored your calls, they should be outed.  Due to the situation, any other rescue will understand the circumstances of your return.  What area are you located in?

Respected Contributor

@lilypadfrog

I am glad your grandaughter is ok and you do need to contact the rescue group or foster mom and tell them the dog needs to come back immediately.

I do feel bad for the dog. She is afraid and hiding under the bed and has no idea what is going on. She gave warning growls and the threat did not keave her. I do not think the rescue group had her ready for a home yet but she may in time make someone a nice pet. I am in shock that the group is not returning your call.

I am not sure I would get another dog from them based on them not returning your calls. You need to find a rescue group that actually works with getting a good fit for you. You may want to foster first. Now you may want to just say no to a dog while you are healing.

Please do not let your grandaughter in the room with the dog while you are waiting to return her.

doxie

Super Contributor

The foster parents picked her up today.  She was so happy to see them.  I was amazed at how happy she became upon hearing her foster mom's voice.  She "talked" and wiggled around the room.  This was a good decision, to return her, in every way.  The adoption coordinator has been out of town I learned today so I assume thats why I didnt get a return call.  I have been told they will be diligent in helping me find a dog who is a perfect fit.  And I have learned to ask specific questions, to not simply accept the phrase "good with kids" or housetrained without asking for further information.  So, this dog is happy to be in her chosen home, and my grand daughter is no longer scared because she understands that not all dogs like kids and vice versa.