Honored Contributor

Re: My new adoptee

[ Edited ]

I am sorry you are going through this @lilypadfrog.   I think the trainer idea is fine as long as he/she uses positive reinforcement.  That's very important with a rescue dog.  I wish you luck and know she will turn around and make a wonderful pet.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Just a thought......

If your dog is doing his business inside the house on pee pads, why not put one outside in your backyard?  Perhaps a used one.  Reward him if he uses the pee pad outside.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: My new adoptee

[ Edited ]

@lilypadfrog   I adopted a dog two years ago.  It took a full year for him to bloom and become the happy dog he is today.  He had been left outside 24 hours a day in one of his THREE HOMES  prior to our adopting him. 

He did not want to go outside at all....as he associated outside with being left outside.    With patience....and love....he now knows that he goes out and he comes in.... and he got over the fear of going outside. 

Time and patience and more time and your little one  will come  around.   

Abuse is a terrible thing. 

Esteemed Contributor

Try putting the leash on him and just sit and pet him with it on.

A leash took him away from his other home and maybe he is afraid it will take him away from you.

I packed and moved some items lately and my dog sat and looked at me with the most terrified look.  He was afraid we were moving....his mom had moved several times with him before he came to live with me.  I had to assure him we were not leaving.

Worth a try!  Good luck with him.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for opening your home to a rescue.  Once you do get him outside, make it wonderful for him.  Give him special treats and praise him outside.  Make it so he wants to go outside.  It will take time, but dogs are smart animals.  Best of luck. 

Super Contributor

To those who say I have not given her enough time, I agree that she has all the time in the world to decide whether she does or doesnt like me.  She is not going to another home.  I simply asked for help or ideas on how I could get her outside.  If it takes her months or years before she decides to wag her tail or let me pet her, well, we have time.  I am sorry to bother you folks.  I asked for help / ideas, not criticism. 

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog

Please accept my apologies.  I realize my tone might have sounded harsh. I thought you were feeling that she was too much for you, especially with the lifting.  I would certainly understand, I’ve had many peed on rugs!

I absolutely admire you for taking in this sweetie, and want to send you many gold 🌟 ✨⭐️💫✨🌟⭐️💫✨🌟⭐️💫 

Again, I’m very sorry & wish you all the best.  Please come back and let us know how you two are doing. 🐶 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@lilypadfrog

I think you are trying good things. I might try two things

1. Since she already follows you around the house try keeping the leash on her and letting her follow you with the leash. Pet her , praise her  and so on.

2. My australian shepherd was not food driven so she did not care about a treat. She did want a job and she did like to either head or heel critters. Her job for now may be to follow you around the house. As she feels comfortable and safe she should relax.

3. Yes she needs to go outside to potty and you should not have to carry her. What happens if you have her at your side on a short leash and you walk with a purpose quickly out the door? I expect she would try to drop to the floor. If you move quick enough she may not have time to. I think when she gets over the fear of the doorway or whatever she will settle down.

4. Well, so much for my "two things" haha What if instead of picking her up from the side if you kind of straddled her and half lift half walk her out the door? I reread this and it sounds strange. I hope some of it makes sense.

doxie

Super Contributor

@lilypadfrog

I have 3 rescued aussies currently and have volunteered for aussie rescues. I take dogs that have behavior issues. My latest was a puppy mill breeder that was rescued with 41 other aussies. She had been in rescue over a year and did not like people. I worked with her and now she can go to restaurants and big dog events. She enjoys going out now. I was lucky because I could coax her out of her cage with food. I did use a thundershirt when I started taking her places. Thundershirts are available at Petsmart and they work for some dogs. It acts like a hug. I think it was developed based on calming babies by swaddling them. The thundershirt needs to be snug. A lot of aussies respond to them. So it may be worth a try. 

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog.  I became involved with collie rescue about 15 years ago and quickly learned that these dogs often come with major issues.  My very first foster wouldn't walk on smooth surfaces like vinyl or ceramic tile, I took her to PetsMart where there is a speed bump right in front of the store.  She refused to walk over that speed bump, then she refused to enter the store due to slick floors.  There was a cat rescue doing adoptions and one of the ladies held my collie while I dashed in alone to make my purchase.

It's obvious your pup needs to become comfortable being outside.  When you take the dog out for one of his relief sessions, close the door behind you, casually settle into a chair and read a book or do something relaxing while ignoring the dog.  Start with short sessions and increase the duration.  He should soon begin to explore a bit as he becomes comfortable.

As for the leash, I'd throw it down in the middle of a well used room along with a treat, where he has to walk around it numerous times a day.  Eventually he should become comfortable enough to try the treat.

Please understand that a dog is at its worse the first few weeks in a new home, before he learns the ropes and house rules.  Both eating and bathroom habits will be off until a new schedule is established.

Did you adopt from a rescue group?  Sounds like this pup was not ready for adoption.  My group would have had the worse of these issues resolved before putting him up for adoption.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment