Respected Contributor

My nephew's cat

[ Edited ]

has stomach cancer. He says Buster is very skinny and doesn't know how long he will be comfortable.  Buster was at one time my cat.

I got him from a rescue shortly after my Sushi died. My nephew was living with me at the time and a week later went and got Buster's brother for himself. So all of us - plus my other kitties - were together.

Nephew moved out right before his daughter was born. A year or so later, his cat died from lymphoma (a little after his second birthday). A couple of months later, he decided to take Buster home. I was okay with that since one of my other cats, Simon, took a disliking to Buster. He would sometimes chase Buster; at other times he'd leave him alone. But Buster was scared of him. One of the funniest things Buster used to do was sneak up on Simon when he was sleeping and then bat him upside the head and RUN. Simon would just wake up, look around and wonder what the heck happened. Simon died about 3 years ago.

I will miss Buster when he goes. He's the black and white kitty in the picture. That's his brother, Chopper.

14.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom -

That's so sad.

He sure is beautiful with unusual markings!

I hope he will not be in too much pain and go very gently.

He sounds like what my 20 year old kitty was like before we let her go this past January. She seemed within a week to being ok, to not at all.

It was so sad to see her that way and I didn't want her to go through any more.

So I am sorry for what I know will be a sad time for you and your nephew.

I'm glad he has had both of you in his life and you himSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Sushismom  How very sad.  The humane thing to do would be to put the cat to sleep.  He may be in a lot of pain.  At times like this we have to put aside our feelings and do the right thing.  He will be happy in heaven.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I am very sorry to hear this news.

One of my cats also had cancer and I tried to do everything I could to treat her--spending thousands and thousands to no avail.

It is a terrible disease with a low success treatment rate for cats. 

Buster knows that all of you love him very much.

Enjoy these special moments that will stay forever in your memory.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Sushismom  How very sad.  The humane thing to do would be to put the cat to sleep.  He may be in a lot of pain.  At times like this we have to put aside our feelings and do the right thing.  He will be happy in heaven.

My nephew will do that when Buster in in pain. Right now, he's not. Believe me, he will know when the time is right. His wife also has had cats and is a nurse. She, too, will know. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about Buster the Cat. It's never fair--a good friend now has had, over time, three cat pass from cancer.  Two from intestinal lymphoma and one from pancreatic cancer.

Buster and Chopper are beautiful cats--and more importantly, kitties clearly surrounded by people who love and cherish them. Buster hit the kitty lotto when he came into your family.

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom   I'm so very sorry to read that Buster has cancer.  I know that's very hard on you and your nephew and family.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

One of my kitties had stomach cancer. He was 22 years old when he passed.2 weeks prior to that,he beat up a cat who dare come into our yard.He was our last indoor/outdoor cat. He was fine then just stopped eating.We tried everything but we couldn't eat for him. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Respected Contributor

Re: My nephew's cat

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, they had to euthanize Buster yesterday. I was so glad I got to see him, to pet him beforehand.

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom   I'm very sorry for you and your nephew's loss.  It's always so hard to lose a beloved pet.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau